1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

On the bye week, we switch to far more important matters...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

Namely, how many primetime games will the Texans get next year?

I think it's pretty safe to assume they'll break into the NBC rotation for the first time in team history. (And if not, I will cancel my season passes for Community and Parks and Rec.) Green Bay and New England both look like prime candidates. Jets, too. And I think they'll get the Thanksgiving Day game in Detroit. And Chicago and Pitt/Bal are both MNF fodder, imo. God, how great would a Houston/Pittsburgh Monday night game be???

2. leroy

leroy Member

I want a Sunday night game. Have they even had one since the switch was made to NBC? Still a possibility of one of the later slots this season with the flex scheduling.

Barring a Super Bowl win, we're still only looking at the Texans getting 1 or 2 prime time games.

EDIT: Was the game at Indy in week 16 already scheduled for a Thursday night or was that done recently?

3. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Jesus are all those teams really on the schedule for next year? I assuming we only get one of either Pit or Baltimore, depending on division winner. I know we play NFC north though.

4. torque

torque Member
    Supporting Member

Sadly, yes. Next year is NFC North and AFC East. What a terrible schedule...:(

5. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I don't think the Texans have been on sunday night in their entire history correct?

I actually don't mind the 12pm games. That way I can have the rest of the day free if I'm not interested in the later games.

6. msn

msn Member

wow, I can't believe we haven't seen SNF since 2005. I didn't believe it, but wikipedia has confirmed. Wow.

7. msn

msn Member

Texans have had four SNF games: one in 2002, one in 2004, and two in 2005.

8. msn

msn Member

Texans have played two Thursday night games, one in 2007 and one in 2010. They have another one this year against Indy.

9. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

^Nearly forgotten that NBC took over from ESPN for SNF. So basically the Texans haven't been on NBC yet.

10. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Member

I was thinking about this earlier. If the Texans go deep into the playoffs then I think they'll get four primetime games (two on SNF and two on MNF).

Here are the non-divisional opponents for the Texans next year:

Home: Buffalo, Miami, Green Bay, Minnesota, AFC North same place.

Away: New England, New York (A), Chicago, Detroit, AFC West same place.

If the Texans win the Super Bowl you can pretty much guarantee Green Bay at Houston will be the Thursday night opener. Otherwise, I see the Green Bay game being a good candidate for either SNF or MNF.

The best chances for SNF are the Pats, Jets, Packers and Bal/Pit. I could see the MNF games being from the Pats, Jets, Dolphins, Packers, Bears and Bal/Pit.

If Oakland wins the AFC West I wouldn't be totally shocked if the Texans @ Raiders game is played in London. Last year when the Texans played at Oakland the announced attendance was only 30K. However, there were a lot less than that at the game. I'm thinking the Raiders would be willing to have that game overseas as it will probably not sell out in Oakland next year.

I also think the Texans could play Detroit on Thanksgiving. It will either be the Texans or the Colts. I do worry that the NFL might give it to Indy for the only reason this will be Peyton Manning's last opportunity to play on Thanksgiving.

Whatever happens the Texans have so far earned the right to be on national television next year. I can't wait for the schedule to be released in April.

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Member

Since NBC took over, and dubbed SNF as "Football Night in America", the Texans have never been on it. With the Steelers being on Sunday night the weekend after Thanksgiving, and the Saints being the Monday nighter that same week, I'm really, REALLY hoping the Falcons - Texans game gets flexed into the Sunday night spot. How much fun would that be for the players this year, not to mention seeing a sold-out Reliant rocking out on an open air night hoping to watch the team go 9-3? Man, I'm getting giddy just thinking about it.

12. msn

msn Member

Man Fyreball that sounds like awesomeness. Soooo don't want to count my chickens before they cross the road, though.

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

Can they just take the Cowgirls spot?

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

That would be very sweet. I still think they'll pick NO-DET, unless DET keeps tanking.

15. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

We need Atlanta to win this weekend to have a realistic shot at this. Not sure NBC wants to flex to a .500 team.

16. msn

msn Member

↑↑ lol he just said we might not get flexed into SNF because our opponent may not be good enough. #upsidedownTexans

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

Not to be all witchy, but why is this, like, the 55th post about this? From my *original* thread starter:
    [/witchy]

I'm not sure the previous games will have any bearing, unfortunately - the idea is to showcase THE best game.

They have 12 days to decide, right? So it'll be after this weekend's games. If Cinci beats Baltimore, I think that'll get top billing (unless CBS can pull a game back; I think that would be their choice). Second priority, I think, would be NO and Detroit. In fact, it might be first priority (the MNF -> SNF back-to-back, I don't think, has any bearing - Giants will be on SNF followed by MNF these next two weeks). Lions will likely split their next 2 games and be 7-4; Saints will be no worse, and the networks LOVE New Orleans.

Interestingly, Atlanta losing to NO yesterday really put a dent in the ATL/HOU's chances. Had they won, and if we assume wins these next two weeks against Ten and Min (plus Houston taking care of Jax), then you would have been able to sell an 8-3 team on six-game win streak against 8-3 team on five-game win streak.

18. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

It was the Texans VS the Packers in 2005, I remember it cause on that day I was deciding whether to watch the Texans or the Rockets playing in Portland. Texans lost, Rockets won. If I can remember correctly, Jim Jackson had a big night. I think that game was what made the team gel together even though Jackson would latter get traded. David weasly came along and played great for us in the stretch run that season and everyone remembers the beat down they got by the mavs in game 7. Meanwhile the Texans had their worst season in franchise history winning 2 games that season. They had the number one overall pick in the NFL draft. I remember the love fest for Vince Young after the Longhorns won the BCS. Every men and women wanted Vince Young but I think everyone knew it would be reggie bush who would get drafted by the Texans but the night before the draft the shocker of all came when Bob mcnair told Mario, he would get drafted and they were already talking contract.:eek::eek:

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

They played Green Bay in '04; they played... I know they played Seattle in '05 on ESPn and were throttled. I thought they had one other Sunday night game that year.

But Pack were definitely '04. Lost 16-14, IIRC.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

My friends and I went to BW3's to watch that game just for the comedic relief. Seriously, that 2-14 team was so bad you just had to laugh. You watched the games just to see what they would do next. How we won 2 games that year I'll never know.