1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

On like Donkey Kong: Obama Said to Plan Moves to Shield 5 Million Immigrants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, Nov 13, 2014.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Obama is hilariously tone deaf. He just got obliterated in the mid term election. It was a clear mandate for the Republicans. Then he goes off and pulls this stunt.

The good news is that I actually don't believe the action will change much. However, the Republicans are much less likely to push through his judicial nominees, which is a very good thing...

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Love it!

3. False

False Member

I wasn't aware that Obama was running in the midterms, and I wasn't sure that immigration was the top issue on midterm voters minds. Also, why don't you think that this action will change much? The Migration Policy Institute estimates that the changes he has proposed will benefit up to 3.7 million undocumented individuals of the 11.2 million total. This seems like a big change to me so why don't you think it will change much?

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Firstly, the midterms were a referendum on Obama. And he was humiliated. The American people are fed up with his leadership and policies. He needs to learn to work with congress, not act alone. The voters made that extremely clear.

Secondly, those 3+ million people weren't ever going to get deported. They've been here for years, and will continue to be here. Big deal. If anything, low-skilled blacks should be pissed, because these newly legal folks stand to take their jobs.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

whoa there, why did you explicitly disparage blacks out of nowhere? I get very uneasy reading your posts. You need to find a way to get rid of your veiled contempt for blacks and poors.

6. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

This matter can easily be resolved by Congress in January. They merely have to pass a law (and subsequently override Obama's veto) imposing a $10,000 fine for each act by an employer hiring an undocument worker (i.e., illegal alien) and a $10,000 fine for each entity or person renting property to any person who is in in the country illegally. With no job and no home, the illegals will return to their native countries on their own. No deportations will be necessary. Of course, the government will still have to root out the drug dealers and the slave traders.

The emperor Obama probably will order the bureaucracies not to enforce the law, but Congress can mandate that state governments can and must enforce the laws of the land. Also, Congress could authorized a 15% to 25% reduction in the budgets of agencies that choose not to comply with legislative law.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Self-deportation! A brilliant idea whose time has finally come.

I'm glad I read this, bro-sé.

8. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Genius! Because no illegal aliens are paid under the table in this country! Likewise, so many landlords/apartment owners are going to turn away a large majority of their business because of this. Very realistic. Similar to the idea that making guns illegal will take them off the streets. Smh. :rolleyes:

9. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/11/20/365519963/obama-will-announce-relief-for-up-to-5-million-immigrants
    The executive action highlights(lowlights)

The president during his speech stated that it was unrealistic to deport all 11 plus million undocumented individuals, but can with accuracy be able to identify who has stayed here in the country atleast 5 years or more illegally.
    Before it was 2007, today its January 1st 2010, ten years from today...it will be January 1st 2016...This is a never ending picture.

So you want them to pay into Social Security, but not be eligible for it...Guess it wont be an issue, when Social Security follows the impending path of Medicare and medicaid...These undocumented individual would rather remain in the "shadows."

Anchor babies...No idea what to do with this group of individuals to be honest.

I chuckle at this comment...They can easily find and mark the criminals/gangbangers etc...but think its unreasonable to deport 11 million people. Good luck finding the bad guys alone.

Too bad you've pissed of congress...good luck completing any other important task that needs to be complete. And continue to piss off Americans everywhere.

10. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

From this link: http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/20/news/economy/immigration-myths/

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Such genuine concern for black people.

12. Major

Major Member

In the first case, the government has to identify people. In the latter, the person has to identify themselves and provide the proof.

Given that the criminals have been arrested, it shouldn't be terribly difficult. We already do it - we're just kind of slow at it.

Right - because Congress was cooperating with Obama before this? :confused: The House had nearly 2 years to come up with immigration legislation after the Senate passed their own bipartisan plan. The House refused to vote on the Senate plan and refused to come up with their own plan.

Government works when both sides participate in governing. If one side doesn't, the system breaks down. So then the other side is left with two options: do nothing and let problems fester, or use whatever power they have to come up with makeshift, partial solutions. The Democrats have picked the latter.

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Because this is often the most ignored...Do laws even matter.

Work is always a good thing. And any time you have people that are willing to work and contribute to society, I am all for it.

OK so these people dont get healthcare, and other benefits that this country offers her citizens, yet they should pay taxes, fines etc...What happens when they need help(ie. medical, etc)..are they just left to fend off for themselves??? What exactly is their benefit for "coming out of the shadows?"

Lol. You know the character of my parents. lol. I've been raised with the utmost respect and values, that have kept me out of any legal predicaments/ or prison...and has allowed me to accomplish the highest platform of education in this country - a doctorate.

And you talk about compassion as it is read in some kinda fairy tale book. The American society has shown it self to be a "dog-eat-dog" society...with every man/woman for him/herself. If you can get things free great...but if it costs me an extra buck...too bad-I dont want to pay that. Thats what our society has become. No my friend, Obama took out compassion by saying...instead of paying your family, pay us...THE US GOVERNMENT first!!! Not only have you increased their financial burden, you have magically increased the country's poverty line. That is not compassionate AT ALL!!!

Finally the very last statement you made...sums up my entire premise. If working hard doesn't mean ish, then why work? Its better to free load of the country and let others that do work hard...Just pass the "buck" of responsibility onto someone else. And as for your implied personal attack...you should never assume anything about anyone...you have just made an A$$ out of YOU and ME!

14. Major

Major Member

I love the "midterms were a referendum!" nonsense while completely ignoring 2012. They ran an entire campaign as a referendu on Obama (and on Obamacare in particular) and lost badly with a much larger electorate - and they didn't change their approach one bit. Seems odd for people to think that a President who wasn't even running should suddenly dump his views after an election with far lower turnout.

15. Major

Major Member

The benefit is that they don't have to fear being deported, and they can get more legitimate jobs that aren't off-the-books where they have basic worker rights. If they don't feel that's a benefit, they can stay in the shadows.

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

1. What exactly is the benefit for them to come out of the shadows and identify themselves? They dont get medical care...but you want them to fatten the coffers of the government just so they continue spending monopoly money?

2. Part of what makes criminals hard to catch is their elusiveness; they even have the financial resources to keep it that way. As hard as it to identify illegal immigrants, its harder to identify those with a criminal past!!!

3. I have zero comment about the ineptitude of the House, and their inability to present an alternative solution... That being said, where is the bipartisan approach in this executive decision? There is none...its what Obama wants, and thats final. Too bad government doesnt work that way.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Obama is very much the spoiled child, with parents (the media/Hollywood) that tell him how amazing he is.

When he doesn't get his way, he throws a tantrum and demands his will be done.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Can't say I pay a lot of attention to this...So clear this up for me..

Isn't this just setting up a way to identify illegals and possibly deport them later? If they don't get to stay permanently, then can't they just end up deporting them in a few years anyway?

19. False

False Member

The referendum on Obama was when he ran for a second term. Republicans will keep calling every election they run in a referendum on Obama, but it doesn't make it so. It is not really clear whether midterms can be considered a referendum on Obama when the voting block is so unrepresentative of the body public as a whole. Given that voters voted for him in the only direct referendum that they could, and given that some people, you included, believe that the midterm election was a very clear referendum on him, I guess we'll just have to see what is actually the case in 2016 when once again Republicans run on an anti-Obama platform.

For the most part, I think you are right many of those 3.7 million would not be deported, but some undocumented individuals are deported each year even if they are not-enforcement priorities because they have no criminal history. I think you underestimate the change that work authorization can make in someone's life. I've worked with people that went from working as baby sitters making close to minimum wage to jobs making $21 an hour or people who went from sitting outside the workforce to coming in and starting to contribute. Major already covered all the reasons why work authorization is important from a jobs opportunity perspective so the only thing that I will add is that one of the huge reasons as to why people want work authorization is that they can get a drivers license in Texas (and most states).

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This is the same douchebag who said that blacks with college degrees really aren't black.