1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

On like Donkey Kong: Obama Said to Plan Moves to Shield 5 Million Immigrants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The problem is they just haven't been any good at it.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

:confused: Our system doesn't work that way? We voted for the actions Obama would take when we elected him President in 2012. I'll assume you mean why didn't he do this before the election so it can be reflected in the congressional elections. He's been public about the fact that he was asked to hold off so as not to make things harder for Democrats running for office -- not a lot of good it did them, though. It's Machiavellian or maybe realpolitik, but it doesn't really matter. Congress has its mandate from the elections they've won, and Obama has his from the election he won. For better or worse, that's how our republic works.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's hard to argue we "voted for" this particular action Obama would taken when he specifically said he couldn't take this very action.

4. JuanValdez

We don't vote for particular actions at all. We vote for representatives in whom we vest authority to take action on our behalf that is supposed to be in the best interest of the nation. Our buy-in on every action isn't required.

5. justtxyank

Look at your two posts.

President Obama specifically said he couldn't and wouldn't take this action.

So if we vote for the actions he would taken when we elected him, and we vote for representatives in who we vest authority to take action on our behalf, him taking an action that he said he couldn't and wouldn't take prior to getting elected is a breach of trust in my opinion.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Wait... didn't Obama campaign for immigration reform from the get go?

7. justtxyank

He did, but he specifically said this option he's now taking was something he could not and would not do.

8. NewRoxFan

But... if six years have gone by, and still no progress has been made, is it unreasonable that he takes a different approach... especially in light of the recent elections which will make congressional action even less likely?

9. JuanValdez

Okay, I guess I'm not seeing what you're seeing. Are you pointing out some seeming contradiction in the two posts?

Also, I don't think you summarized what I said quite right. Everyone we elect are representatives: Presidents, Senators, and House Representatives. They are vested with authority when they are elected and they act on our behalf without our express permission after that. They don't come back to us every time they have to make a decision.

Maybe you feel Obama misled you when he earned your vote. I'm sorry if he betrayed you. We didn't put handcuffs on him, though, when we elected him, except those in the Constitution.

10. justtxyank

I consider it unreasonable that something he said he did not have the constitutional power to do in 2011 is now something he will do anyway. He was either lying then or he doesn't care about the constitution now.

11. NewRoxFan

Or, his interpretation of the constitutionality changed?

When Bush 1 said "Read my lips... " did he lie? Did he just not care about whether taxes were raised? Or, perhaps, the situation changed?

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Graduate. It's mostly been reading books and academic journals. The discussion has been much better than the one I had in undergrad many years ago.

13. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I wish now I had taken that class instead of Causal Inference.

14. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Lol, that's supposed to be really good. I have to take a few more classes like that next year.

15. rudan

rudan Member

Laws? we dont need no stinkin' laws.....
    [​IMG]

I know, right?.........
    [​IMG]

16. Nook

Nook Member

Is it possible that his opinion on executive powers has changed after being President for 6 years and after the failed Bush administration is even more of a memory?

Sure it is possible after 3 years he changed his mind..... but I doubt it. This is all about politics, and the means to the end not really mattering. It isn't something that I believe is "good" long term, however it isn't unique to Obama and it won't be unique to whomever the next Republican President is that does the same.... but with liberals complaining it wrong.

17. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

University of Houston?

18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Yup, lol, did undergrad at A&M. I'm Kim. Hello.

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I agree with all of this and I think "need" is a relative term. They "need" to have a higher profit margin. Agricultural staples have mechanical harvesting (potato, cotton, corn) we don't need a cheaper price on strawberries. Those industries just want to lower costs on unskilled labor intensive jobs.

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Oh I agree with the relativism of it. I have a friend who advocates an FDR style public works project as a potential solution to economic woes, but that's just not viable bc the population makeup is just different nowadays. From what I've been reading, every time (or most of the time) that a more restrictive immigrant labor policy has been passed or enforced in the last 30 years, it's followed up by more local, state, and national loophole laws bc corporations get hurt. So it's not just that those industries are desiring cheaper labor (which is true), but it's also that Latino immigrants are doing jobs that other demographics no longer do. There's a social scientist black lady (I forgot her name or where she studied...I'll look it up later...I just remember watching a conference video) who argues that it's incorrect to say that Latino immigrants are doing jobs that other Americans wouldn't do, but I recall her data to be historical. It was that way in the past, and maybe it could be that way in the future, but it's not that way now. So all this fake hatred by political elites is just pandering to the ignorant masses. They're the same legislators that approve the loopholes to help out industries meet their economic "needs".