1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

On like Donkey Kong: Obama Said to Plan Moves to Shield 5 Million Immigrants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, Nov 13, 2014.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

dont understand the 'lets give amnesty to the good ones' stance either. how do u determine who is hard-working?

2. Major

Major Member

Eisenhower, Kennedy, LBJ, Ford, Carter, Reagan, HW Bush, and Clinton all issued executive orders deferring deportations to various groups of immigrants. It's never been controversial because prioritizing law enforcement has always been the jurisdiction of the Executive Department. This is not a liberal or conservative issue. It's a b****-about-Obama issue.

1 person likes this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's not an amnesty.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Gridlock . . .

If the Republican in both houses passes something directly opposite of this . . . .Obama will not sign

I doubt they will present anything similar

Rocket River

5. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

I thought he gave Congress a deadline to come up with immigration reform?

Although it's political, he still gave them a chance.

6. False

False Member

Your concern is not based on modern fact or past history and is pretty unreasonable so I think you can rest easy. It is extremely unlikely that murderers or pedos will be granted any amnesty because:

a) the executive action contemplated by Obama would not be amnesty as it would provide no pathway to Legal Permanent Residence,
    b) convicted murderers and people convicted of most sex crimes are inadmissible and therefore ineligible for Legal Permanent Residence even if they have some sort of other status (I guess that they could hypothetically qualify for a discretionary waiver if they are applying based on an approved U-visa, but that wouldn't be something new that Obama created), and
    c) convicted murderers and pedos who are undocumented have never in the past been eligible for any other benefits other than Deferral of Removal under the Convention Against Torture or an order of supervision if they are stateless and/or Cuban.

No te preocupes, brah. Even if you think Obama is the anti-Christ, you don't have to worry that he will give green cards to murderers and/or child molesters.

7. edwardc

edwardc Member

Pump your brakes bro just don't want anymore bad people getting a free ride "And by no means do i think he is the anti-christ He's done more with a non moving congress than any other potus has.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Good question.

Perhaps Republicans should decide, they have never had a problem deciding how lazy or hardworking other people are.

1 person likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Anyone complaining about executive orders or President Obama utilizing his power to do so if pissing into the wind. There have been close to 500 executive orders over the last 14 years.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It is on like Caesar from Planet of the Apes

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I've been in an immigration policy class this semester. It's interesting stuff. Generally, everyone is getting what they want. There are so many diffuse interests and the facts are that deportations are higher than ever and the border is more secure than ever and we are spending more money than ever on border security. Corporations want this broken policy because it helps fulfill an economic need in construction and agriculture. I wouldn't call it serfdom, but definitely second class citizenry, something antithetical to the American Creed. But that creed is a myth anyways because we've always been selectively restrictive on immigration policies and varied in what is enforced. And we've always been selective on who has the opportunity to do what, yet we are still more egalitarian than Mexico or other 3rd world countries.

Long story short, all this stuff isn't really broken, bc everyone in power is getting what they want. People get to fear monger and the public eats it up debating whether or not it's good for America. In the meantime, the people running this country are all benefiting, with Democrats and Republicans both scoring political points.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I just hope the next president issues an executive order telling the irs not to collect income tax. I could use a break. Be cool if candidates start running on their proposed executive actions Andy e can see who will give us the most goodies.

#52 justtxyank, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ehH8KMIxntQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Your analogy is pretty terrible in substance , and your second point about "candidates running on proposed executive actions" is terribly inapt in this situation, for obvious reasons.

Not a great post.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You seem oblivious to context. You used the word edict to claim royalty. I know it, you know it, we all know it. Who are you kidding?

The President has the discretion on how laws are enforced. That's his job, those are his powers. Just like the Congress has the discretion to sit on its ass and do nothing rather than create and vote on legislation. It sounds like you really don't understand how the whole separation of powers thing works.

And for the record, I don't support Obama shielding these people from deportation. I absolutely do not like it however he has the right to do it if he wants. All elections have consequences, not just the ones that you win.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If he really wanted to do this, he should've done it a lot sooner.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's merrier to see the House and Senate fight in 2015.

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Ahhh... the Obama is a lawless President position by using Executive Orders. Never mind that past Presidents have used Executive Orders much more frequently than Obama. For example, since Eisenhower, one Ronald Reagan is the leader in such Presidential overreaches with 381 such abuses during his two terms. 'Course Eisenhower had 484, Truman just under a thousand, and FDR must have issued his daily with 3,522.

But you say, in the past these were simple acts, not far reaching "reaching arounds" like Obama's abuses of power?

Sorry, history doesn't support that either. Lincoln suspended Habeas Corpus during the Civil War to protect Union soldiers. And that Reagan guy... well, he was frustrated with Congress' failure to act and used an Executive Order to establish the NSA.

19. body slam

body slam Member

Why was Obama's immigrant plan not on the ballet a few weeks ago for the people to vote on?

I don't like it that the senate and house can not work together on this. I really don't like it that the president feels the need to force it on us.

20. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Undergrad or graduate?