1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

On Fandom and the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Let us set up the scenario. McHale, after his rookie season, had more NBA experience than everyone on this forum combined. And that was 34 years ago. He has spent his life in the NBA. He is on a HOF pillar and will soon have the best winning percentage of any Rockets coach in history.

Morey is undeniably the sharpest tool in the shed. What other GM is going to pluck Parsons and Canaan out of the second round and find Bev in a third tier European league?

Together Morey and McHale make up a formidable duo. Their decisions are usually correct. Morey got permission to tear down a Rockets team that was consistently mediocre. McHale seamlessly integrates young players into the rotation just as they are ready. Can we as fans ask for more? The Rockets organization is looking more and more like the Spurs, the gold standard among NBA franchises.

And then we get to fans and their overwhelming hubris. No, you do not know better than McHale and Morey. That is not possible. Your "insights" are just run of the mill amateur observations that most probably were considered for a split second by the Rockets organization and disguarded. Posts such as "I have seen enough _____ should start" or "TT revisited" are well, worthless. Except for how those posts plump up your own egos.

Would it not be better to analyze why McHale and Morey make the decisions they do? That would be of interest. What was Morey thinking when he plucked Canaan out of the second round. What does he expect from Canaan? Are you knowledgeable enough and intelligent enough to decipher what some of the best minds in basketball are thinking?

I know this post is going to rustle a lot of feathers. But someone, sooner or later, needs to puncture this balloon of hubris. We are not as smart as we think we are when held against the McHale/Morey standard.

Just saying.

1 person likes this.
  2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Discussion is usual better when it is open and not narrow in scope. Some topics will be good, others bad. Its up to the community to start to let that bad topics die and fall off the front page of the GARM. Unfortunately, human nature won't allow me (and I presume others) to let that happen. Just gotta post to tell someone how wrong they are.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

On Fandom- part of being a fan is analyzing and criticizing the teams you love. Mistakes are possible by even the best minds.

All sports teams forums will be like this.

But in general, I do agree with you. We're not smarter than them.

4. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

a lot of posters on clutchfans are dumb and irrational, much like other internet forums.

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

#5 LonghornFan, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  6. Mr. Clutch

Message board forums- how do they work?

[​IMG]

7. bongman

bongman Member

The term "armchair QB/Coach/GM" has been around long before clutchfans or the internet came about. This is just human nature. One of the personality traits that we learn growing up is that there are people who are "Unconsciously incompetent". Meaning, they think they know a lot but the reality is, they know very little.

8. bmd

bmd Member

Are you seriously going to lecture others on hubris?

The guy who refuses to admit he was wrong when he said the Rockets run Rick Torbett's offensive system from a DVD series?:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Disguarded? Sounds like a word from James Harden's defensive playbook.

10. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Where are the stats? No analytics? Do not like.

You have a point here. All these threads are horrible, because the OP probably didn't spend hours on them. We should make a separate forum to separate all those threads from the good ones.

11. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Jtr you'll be in for a ride.

I agree with your assumptions.

But, a forum like this is a place you don't want to lecture someone.

12. clutz

clutz Member

The customer is always right.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I refuse to believe that jtr isn't just Ronny's latest character.

14. bmd

bmd Member

I'll actually respond to your thoughts.

1. Yes, McHale has been in the NBA for a long time. But being a great player doesn't mean you are a good coach. I'm not saying McHale is not a good coach. I'm just saying that being in the NBA doesn't make somebody a good coach. They may not be good at assessing talent, rallying troops, developing talent, or even the X's and O's.

Michael Jordan is arguably the greatest player ever, and he's horrible at assessing talent. And there are many great coaches who have never played in the NBA.

You don't have to be in the NBA to be a great GM, either. Morey was never in the NBA. I'm not even sure if he's played the game competitively. Yet he is much better at assessing talent than Michael Jordan.

Also... just another thought. Have you heard Shaq and Barkley discuss basketball on Inside the NBA? Those are two NBA greats, and they sound like they couldn't coach a middle school team.

NBA experience is second-to-none when teaching a player how to play basketball on an individual level. But it doesn't mean much when assessing players and how they would fit on a team or how to manage and build a team.

2. I do trust that McHale and Morey are making decisions better than we as fans can. They have much more information to go on. McHale sees every practice. He knows all of the locker room dynamics. He knows way more than any of us. So I trust his judgement when assessing if a player is ready for more minutes or if they deserve to sit on the bench. I absolutely trust the coaches when it comes to that.

3. You said, "what other GM is going to pluck Parsons and Canaan out of the second round and find Bev in a third tier European league?"

As if Morey is the only GM to ever make a good pick. There have been plenty of GM's that have made great picks. Some very bad GM's have made some great picks. Morey isn't special in that regard. He's also made some bad picks. That's just the way it goes. Morey is a great GM, but there are many great GM's throughout the league. Morey isn't the only one to have made good pickups and gotten production out of undervalued players.

15. IBTL

IBTL Member

You are not as smart as you think you are either. Please stop posting for a while.It's not going so well for you.

Funny that some folks don't agree with your shi**t opinions and you have to get all butthurt about it by starting this thread. LAME

Hubris of your own buddy. This is a message board not the meaning of life.

ABC ...TT.. 123 baby you and me

WOW
    OP getting owned in his own thread. Kruger Dunning in full effect with OP

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Haha, jtr fails again! That's he point of this forum.

Hey guys, new thread.. check it out:

Stop Talking About the Rockets

The rockets are better at basketball than any of us.....

1 person likes this.
  17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Les had no other choice but to allow Morey to tear down a team that had two Superstars injured all the time. And that decision took two years jtr. Oh lol and Yao left on his terms after getting paid to sit out for another year, I wouldn't count the 5 games he did play that year.

Yes both McHale and Morey are great together. The team that they have built together is shaping up to be a power house for years to come. I believe we will win the Chip next season after Morey addresses the bench issues.

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

LOL bmd you are going to hit jtr across the head with this until he admits he was wrong..:grin:

19. Mr. Clutch

No one should have posting rights except Morey (DD) and McHale.

For that matter, shut down sports radio too.

20. basketballholic

C-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c--c-c-c-can we still go to the games?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.