1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

On Chinese Cuisine, and Bat Soup to heal your soul

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Roomba, Mar 13, 2020.

?

Did I maybe change your mind just a little bit?

1. No, bat boy.

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Fine...just a little.

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Actually a decent thread!

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. I've never had a problem with Chinese Food, homie

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. 哥,你写的太长了

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Nah, just kidding. **** bat soup. But hear me out on something, I promise I'll do my best to not be long-winded.

I'm an American living in Beijing. I'm a enormous Rockets homer. And today, I'm sticking up for General Tso.

Wet markets are (were?) a disgusting, unhygienic and inhumane reality. The Yu Lin dog meat festival is one of the worst things I've ever had the displeasure of reading about. The Coronavirus very much may have started from some dumbass who looked at a rodent and decided that eating it would make him more virile. Did I mention civets? Cat's out of the bag on that one.

But here's the thing--I've been seeing lots of people online, even on my beloved Clutchfans, make the assumption that the majority of Chinese people (never mind Chinese-Americans, Singaporeans, Malaysians, Taiwanese and so on) eat like this. After debating the efficiency of replying to every post, I figured that making a thread would be the best way to get my message out. So here goes:

The average Chinese person has about as much of an interest in consuming bats as I do. China is a gigantic country with a huge variety of different cuisines and dietary habits. The people that consume exotic meats are a SMALL minority...and one which has now caused the world no shortage of trouble.

In Beijing, where you can find the food of pretty much any region, you'd be hard-pressed to find anything more exotic than rabbit or deer. The most common meat here is pork, followed by chicken then beef and mutton. Fish, too, though I caution everyone to stay away from cheap sushi.

I know people are mad at some Chinese folks right now for unleashing the virus on us all. I hear the word "barbaric" being used a lot. But Chinese cuisine isn't barbaric. Those who get meat from the wet markets are.

What even is Chinese food? The heavy, meat and bread based meals of the north? The mouth-numbing spices and intense flavors of Sichuan? The Mr. Chow's next to the gas station on Clearmont Avenue? Or even bat soup and dog burgers? If we're going by food prepared by a Chinese person, I guess they all would be...but I don't have to tell you that one of those things is not like the others.

Despite what you may think, most Chinese folks I know are also angry and grossed out. They're sharing pictures of fried kangaroo and alligator with as much revulsion and morbid fascination as the rest of us. And I feel sad that people are painting them as a bunch of savages when all they want to do is to go home, eat some bacon and play with their dogs, who is about as safe from the dinner table as Ol' Yeller would be.

The Government is another story. I've had no shortage of criticism towards them. But CHINESE FOOD? Nah, bro. I've been extolling the virtues of Chinese cuisine for a long, LONG time. And I refuse to let Mr. Erectile Dysfunction at the bat meat market ruin it for me.

tldr: MOST CHINESE PEOPLE DON'T EAT BATS. ALMOST ALL CHINESE PEOPLE NOT FROM CHINA ALSO DON'T EAT BATS.

tldrfttldr: bat meat bad, get sick very sick

DeBeards, King1, malakas and 7 others like this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There are some dumb dumb people on here who hide behind the fact that there are Chinese people who eat wild animals at wet markets and believe in superstition.

Just like there are ignorant people that think people in Africa still come from villages.

Two Sandwiches and Junebball like this.
  3. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I actually think as a whole, Clutchfans members tend to be open minded and willing to discuss stuff. That's why I'd rather post this on here as opposed to say, reddit or (bleh)Facebook. At least we're unified with our love for the Rockets so we have something in common.

And yes, ignorance sucks. And it can't be helped. I'm ignorant to a lot of things...but I'll always try my best to not be.

4. Senator

Senator Member

And what about all the other small animals and rodents that range from dogs to ...

Last 2 global pandemics have come from China, and a lot of the poor who are entering the middle class think eating this kind of disgusting meat will make them strong or smarter. Has the communist government actually done something useful and outlawed this practice, or is meat still meat?

I don't think you get living in a wealthy, trendy place like Beijing as a foreigner does not reflec ton the majority of Chinese people.

5. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

They are outlawing the practice, specifically the "wet markets". You make an excellent point--it's often the poorer, more ignorant people in China that are the ones who consume most of these exotic foods. Ignorance is the root to a lot of problems, it's also the reason why shark fin soup was such a big deal until Yao made it a point to educate people on it.

I've lived in Shanghai, Chengdu, Beijing and Jinan--yes, they are all wealthier cities, but it doesn't change the fact that most of the Chinese people that I know (and through basketball and work I know a LOT) condemn the practice of eating stuff bought at these markets. They know where SARS came from too, after all.

The point that I'm trying to make is that Wet Market food is NOT and has NEVER BEEN the majority of meat consumed in China. Some regions, specifically North and Northwest China, don't eat exotic meat at all. China's a big country, lots of different cultures, food, history. I'd argue much of that culture has been lost since the cultural revolution, but that's for another thread.

But saying that Chinese people are gross, or Chinese food features lots of dog and rodent meat...it's the equivalent of saying that I must be an asshat because I'm from New York. I think I'm pretty nice guy, I'd hate to be judged without getting a chance first. I've been treated really well over here. Not by the government, but by the people that I've met doing the same things that I'd do back home. Some support the CCP, some don't. But people are people everywhere, right?

King1, Nook and Hakeemtheking like this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Stop eating dogs and cats you weirdos.

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It isn't from the wet market... it's from the deadly virus research lab next door. The Chinese communist government is lying to save face. If you really buy the bat soup theory you are getting taken.

generalthade_03 and BenjaminChen like this.
  8. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

...and cheetahs

Invisible Fan and Ubiquitin like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I like turtles
    [​IMG]

dachuda86 likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you and excellent post.

As someone who's been to China many times including parts of rural China and Wuhan twice I've seen a lot of unusual stuff in markets but I agree it is a minority and primarily rural people that eat this stuff. Consider though that there are parts of rural America that still eat stuff that most Americans find unusual (Rocky Mountain Oysters, rattlesnake, turtles, etc..) The bigger problem with China is population density, poor environmental controls and poor sanitation. There are wet markets in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore that externally look very similar to the ones in the PRC with many (what Americans would consider) strange animals and live animals. We don't see the same rise of diseases there because the sanitation standards are so much better.

mdrowe00 and Roomba like this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

i don’t think this is factually correct ...

last two pandemics are:

2020 - covid-19 (started in Wuhan China wet market)

2009 - h1n1 (swine flu, complex history with multiple origins but the last final place of this flu started in Mexico)

You are probably talking about endemic.

Ubiquitin and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Do they cook the bats or just grab and eat?

17. HTM

HTM Member

I mean, I think most people realize China is a country of 1.3 billion people and that most of them do not have diets that are likely lead to a respitory virus outbreak.

I'm still pissed at these a**holes though, cut that nasty sh*t out.

King1 and Roomba like this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I have yet to see a theory as to why this was in the Chinese governments interest to release this particular virus. And why release it right next to a research lab? Certainly there are more wet markets in China that aren't down the street from a research lab. Also there's the fact that nearly all new diseases like this one have typically come from rodents like bats, or other wild animals that humans aren't supposed to be interacting with.

I get why people don't trust the Chinese government, and so it's easy to think Conspiracy first, but when you take a step back, it makes little sense in this case. Now if China magically comes up with a vaccine that only they can produce, then maybe I'll buy into it a bit. Even then, the global economic plunge is having a catastrophic affect that could last long enough to think that profits from a vaccine will be minuscule compared to what it has costs the global economy (including China) out of this pandemic.

19. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

For sure, those people that supported the markets are totally backwards and nasty. Just wanted to point out what it’s easy to forget—most people in China are just regular folks like us.

Invisible Fan and Nook like this.
  20. adoo

adoo Member

translation please