1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

On a scale of 1 to 10, how hopeless are you?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, May 19, 2023.

?

On a scale of 1 to 10, how hopeless are you?

Poll closed Jun 18, 2023.
  1. 1

24 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. 2

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. 3

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. 4

6 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. 5

14 vote(s)
    15.9%
  6. 6

8 vote(s)
    9.1%
  7. 7

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  8. 8

6 vote(s)
    6.8%
  9. 9

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. 10

10 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I didn’t expect VW and I’m not even sold that he’s going to be what he’s hyped up to be.

If you look at some of the best teams and best players of all time, they didn’t have/weren’t number one “generational” picks.
    This is also part of the reason I’m against tanking especially for multiple years in a row.

That said, Rockets are still in position to add good players to this roster and if the young guys grow then anything is possible. They’ve added a good coach and have cap space and assets to improve. Rockets will be fine.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  2. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

Magic Johnson

3. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

I'll say 4. This year's pick isn't as good as hoped and our front office/ownership is still questionable but we still have pretty decent prospects in Green, Smith, Sengun, and Eason, plus Udoka looks like a great coach.

4. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Patrick Fertitta account confirmed.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don’t think we’re keeping the pick so I’m at a 5 until I see who we’re trading for

6. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I’m optimistic as hell personally, we’ve accumulated a ton of young talent, cap space is abundant, and have one of the best young coaches. This should be fun going forward!

cmiller and PatBev like this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Most of those guys for lacking an efficient midrange/floater game. I don't have time to go screencap all the advanced shooting statistics by distance, but a lot of them were in the 30-39% range on 3 foot and out midrange shots as rookies. You can check it out yourself on Basketball-Reference.com if you're interested in seeing the specifics. Maybe a lot of rookies just don't come into the league quite as developed as you're thinking they do? IDK, man.

FT%, a few guys were pretty bad. Rondo and Kidd were both sub-70% as FT shooters. De'Aaron barely cleared 70. None of them were what I'd call good FT shooters as rookies except, oddly, Westbrook, who was 81.5%. For that entire list, mostly in the 70-79% range.

Remember that Amen shot 77% from the FT line in the OTE playoffs. Yes, a small 30-shot sample size, might not be predictive, could've just been a hot streak. But as an eternal optimist, I still take it as a minor but promising sign

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

My happiness level is not directly tied to the Rockets doing well or not.

jim1961 and OremLK like this.
  9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The problem is less that Amen hasn’t made shots and comparing him to other non shot makers at that age - it’s that rebuilding his shot is going to require reshaping multiple parts of his shooting mechanics and finding a ‘feel’ that he has only demonstrated at the hoop. I think when you hear scouts talk about his upside, most are assuming he is never going to be a great shooter. His ceiling is league average shooter at best. I think scouts who are high on him assume his gifts as an explosive downhill player allow him to be effective despite that - similar to Westbrook. That’s a good player….BUT - you gotta commit to constructing a roster around that and adding Amen to one of the worst shooting teams in the league is not a great idea.

In years past I would say Amen is a decent pick but after 3 years of taking “best available”, we are no in line to take a guy who doesn’t necessarily make sense for the roster - we HAVE to commit to building somewhat of a team and that’s where Amen ultimately is not a good pick for Houston despite being a potentially electric player. Ultimately I think Sengun would have to be gone to make Amen work and if that’s the case - why not just entertain trading up to get Miller or Scoot who are far better picks to maximize the talents of those already here.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  10. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

I'm done with this franchise if the FO drafts the biggest media annoited fraud in in NBA history.

Playing agaisnt kids at almost age 21, stay in high school for an extra year despite being draft eligible, puts up no stats, gets drafted by fools at the #4 pick.

ashleyem likes this.
  11. solid

solid Contributing Member

Not hopeless at all. Silas is gone. What a relief! Nice guy but "clueless" as an NBA head coach. Lots of young talent, lots of money, and a great draft position. What is not to like?

12. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I’m at an 8 or 9. I think we have a great coach which is nice, but other than that, there isn’t a lot to be hopeful for. And no matter what, fertitta is still here. Things are pretty bleak.

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

seems to me that on a scale of 1 to 10 of hopelessness, 10 out of 10 would be suicidal despair. I doubt anyone is a 10 here. just sayin'

back to your lives, citizens

anne hathaway princess dancing.gif

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

also, remember that with Severo in the world, there is always hope. always.

Severo blue jacket dancing.gif

sydmill likes this.
  15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Tilman Fertitta

16. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

5, I'm looking forward to seeing Green, Sengun and Smith under a real coach, disappointed we didn't get Scoot.

17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i aint even worried about it...

i mean Wemby was a 14% or whatever shot... it'd have been really nice... but i actually called Spurs/Pops weeks ago...

Scoot was the bar imo...

so basically #4 in a package to move up to get scoot...

so idk... we finished the Clips pick + kmj below my expectations? (would that move us up?)

no use cryin bout it...

jus go make it happen, Stone.

BaselineFade likes this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

As much of a fan of Harden as I am, I don't want him back
    under max money.

I don't trust the Fertitas or Hardens judgement.

I wouldn't be surprised if they Sign-n-Trade
    both Harden and Jaylen Brown.

Might mean any of Green/Jabari/Sengun/KPj/Eason
    might be available.....along with our scrapes from
    the pooh-pooh platter of Tate/JC/TyTy/Garuba/Kenyon.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

I agree that you are totally hopeless. :D

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

:D:D:D

Especially if they sign Superstar Super Nova Offense Star guard James the Beard Strip Club Harden to this team.

Team is going to lift off.

Salvy likes this.