1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

On a Diet? On a Budget? Want Beer? Can You Hold Your Nose and Drink?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rocketman95, Dec 11, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

One night a couple of months ago, my roommate and I had an old friend come into town who, unfortunately, had recently lost his job. In an effort to still have a fun evening full of drinks and Tiger Woods Golf, we decided we'd buy some Schlitz, Pearl and Olympia to save our bro some money. The Olympia was actually pretty drinkable, so every once in a while, we buy that instead of more expensive beer since it's $5.89 a 12-pack at Kroger. Today, I was feeling extra adventurous and grabbed us a 12er of Olympia Gold Light. As I'm unloading them from the case to my fridge, I notice that they're only 70 calories. 70 calories. Now, I have to disclose that it's not as good as it's counterpart, but if you answer yes to all four questions in the thread title, Olympia Gold Light may be the beer for you.

What're some other "good" cheap beers?

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

There is this lady that comes to the store I work at, and buys four 24 packs of Olympia. I think theyre 24 packs.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Natty Lights.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Natty Ice is the proverbial bomb. I was on my way back from Austin and saw a store in Giddings that had some. Had to grab me some since I can never find them.

BTW, I can just hear Buck losing respect for me. :)

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Was that Schlitz Malt Liquor?

6. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Its hard to find but HEB used to sell (and may still) Keystone light in a bottle for about 3.25 a 6 pack. It taste very watery but it doesnt have the nasty bite most cheep beers have.

7. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

That was a staple of my college diet :)

Cases of bottles for $10.02 in 1993

8. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I used to buy Pearl bottle 6-packs for 2.99 about 10 years ago. Ice-cold Pearl is great. I loved those small-neck bottles, they had cool puzzle games under the caps too!

Pearl is the king of cheap beer in my book. (I have a Pearl light-up sign in my house) :D

9. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I drink Keystone Light when we lose our golf matches. Losers buy the beer and that is the cheapest beer we could find.

10. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

The Beast, Miliwukee Best Light.

11. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Natty Light is great for the price. Keystone just tastes horrible. I'll have to give Natty Ice a try.

12. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

just a pic of it... doesn't tell you what it is.

i don't know much about beer (because i don't drink it much. when i do it's usually a sam adams light), but my dad used to love the stuff. when i was a kid, i would sneak one out of the fridge, but don't recall what it was like. sorry.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

In college, I consumed more Olympia Gold than any man should ever have to. It was 2.99 a 12 pack at the Kroger in Huntsville. Man, it was bitter but after 2 or 3 (12 packs), you couldn't tell the difference.

I remember one time, we took one of our notorious 2am roadtrips to Galveston with the trunk full of Olympia Gold. The next night, we remembered that there was an extra 12 in the trunk and decided to put it in the fridge for later consumption. They had been in the hot trunk all day. Bad idea. VERY bad idea.

[​IMG]

"It's in the water"

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Does anybody here remember those commercials for Schlitz that had the song that went like:

"Schlitz Malt Liquor BUUUUUULLLLLL"

that was great

15. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Back in the dark ages, when I was in law school, my roommate and I drank some no name pisswater (I think it was called Piels) that was $1.39 a six. One day, inspired by a live blind taste test during the Super Bowl (I think it was for Bud or Schlitz), we decided to conduct our own blind taste test. To our surprise, the pisswater won. Of course, we were hardly sober or scientific about it, so I am not sure we proved anything, other than we knew how to save a buck. :cool:

16. codell

codell Contributing Member

Im down with Pearl beer also. Cheap, but good!

However, never try Cooper's Pale Ale. Tastes like whizz.

17. drapg

drapg Member

Holy crap, only 70 calories?

I'm so gonna be drinking that this weekend.

Thanks RM95.

18. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

"Gazizza, Dilznoofus, this is Bill McNeal saying, get with the crazappy taste of Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor! Rocket Fuel's got the upstate prison flavor that keeps you ugly all night long. So when you want to get sick, remember, nothing makes your feet stank like Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor. Damn, it's crazappy!"

19. Buck Turgidson

The only cheap light beer worth drinking is LONE STAR LIGHT. Trust me, I've drank a plethora of them all.

CASE OPENED.

Hangout Boy, I have no more or less respect for you than before. ;)

20. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

If you're going to drink anything other than Samuel Adams, John Courage, Guiness, Harp, Corona or any other high quality beer, you might as well drink good old PBR. Can't beat it. When I was in the Marines, it was all we drank. When I was in Egypt during Exercise Bright Star, we had them fly us some in a C-130. Cool. :D