1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omri Casspi scores 22 points, 11 rebounds, 3 steals vs. Italy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If Casspi doesn't get bullied banging against other PFs, his skill set on paper may be a better fit for the current team than that of Motiejunas or Jones.

Motiejunas and Jones may have better on-ball skills to create their own shots, I am not sure these skills are all that necessary or useful with Harden, Howard, Lin, Parson, etc. being capable with the ball. They do kind of have shooting range, but neither was really all that reliable (DMo kind of was OK from the corners). On the other hand, a 3 point shooter/slasher at the 4, even one with fairly average abilities in these areas and not quite full-sized for a PF, appears to make things work better. This was the case last year (see Delfino's +/-) and is likely to be the case again with Howard around.

I haven't seen that much of Casspi of late (who wants to watch the crappy teams that he's been on?), but Morey seems to be convinced that Casspi is a good shooter (judging by his tweets), defender and athlete.

I read some Cleveland-based articles from late in the 2011-12 season and Byron Scott suggested that Casspi had issues with remembering and executing the playbook (a contention with Casspi disputed). We'll have to see if this continues to be an issue this year. Coaches tend to not trust players with minutes when they can't remember or execute the plays.

2. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

I keep getting the feeling this season is going to exceed my expectations.

Morey has built a neat little roster here. Interesting parts. If they mesh we have a very diverse group that can play a lot of styles depending on the game situation.

3. alethios

alethios Member

From what I recall, the Rockets playbook last year was pretty sparse.

4. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

not big enough for PF and too slow for SF

5. Carl Herrera

It was too complicated for Thomas Robinson to follow.

6. CARoxNut

CARoxNut Member

I just recorded my first triple double against me 7 years old kid.

7. ben_from_TLV

ben_from_TLV Member

Last night game against Georgia.
    Israel lost 77:79
    Casspi scored 20 pts + 8 reb

8. PeppermintCandy

Thanks for the link. I haven't watched him before, but from the short clip, Casspi seems more of a perimeter player than a banger. I guess he's the "stretch 4" type the Rockets always seem to be talking about. He seems to get pushed out of the paint fairly easily though.

As others have noted, our PF rotation is a crapshoot at this point. Any of Jones, D-mo or Casspi will have a chance to play a big role. I bet each will get opportunities early in the season to show what he's got.

Personally, I'm leaning towards Jones. I think he'll bring some toughness to the position, which I think we'll need.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

So so sad. Just can't help yourself. Dude's not even on the team anymore.

TRob = rockets' mistake, but Casspi = savior

Only problem is that hindsight has proven the TRob deal worked out well for Houston.

10. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Carl loves the "stretch four". Whatever, Casspi is a good pickup at the price and this should be a good environment for him as a backup or a backup to a backup.

This incessant babble of a stretch four is totally unnecessary. Mid-range jumper will do. I want toughness and defense out of the power forward position. If they happen to be able to shoot threes ala Dirk or Love then its just a bonus. If its another Patrick Patterson, no thank you. You are no starter on this team.

11. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Casspisanity? The New P Pat? Our 4th star? The trading chip that will bring us LaMarcus Alridge or Kevin Love?

We need a label for this man, peeps!

12. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Nice cheap pick up by Morsey.

13. Carl Herrera

Saying that "midrange jumper will do" when others are shooting 3s is like saying "knives will do" in a gun fight. Daryl Morey does not think that "midrange jumpers will do."

14. Carl Herrera

Robinson couldn't remember a play was reported by Chad Ford, who actually likes Portland's deal for him: http://www.blazersedge.com/2013/7/1...praise-blazers-2013-offseason-thomas-robinson

Nobody said Casspi is a savior, just that his skills look to be a fit if things work out (including, as I said, if he can remember the plays). I have also already said that the Robinsin deal worked out in retrospect given what the team was able to get from Portland. I just don't think much of his playing ability based on his actual performance on the court. You need to work on your reading comprehension skills.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You are incorrect. Stats aren't everything. A solid mid range shooter becomes a gunner,in any fight.
    We don't happen to have one.

16. chandlerbang21

attention all CASSPI ISNT A PF , to slow, cant rebound, and cant defend.

17. chandlerbang21

worked great for patterson, current team doesnt have a skilled midrange shooter

18. Carl Herrera

Patterson was HOU's best midrange shooter, made 49% of his shots between 16 and 23 feet. Even this plus being good at the corner 3, didnt make him or any of the other 4s on the roster, more effective than Delfino, who was more natural wing, at the 4. The game has evolved.

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I agree a lot of players play better here than they do for other teams. It may be just my perception but it seemed like toney douglas, marcus morris, patrick patterson, carl landry, chuck hayes and aaron brooks all played better here than with other weaker teams.

20. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

i feel like Lil Jon right now.