1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omer Asik Trade. Rumors, Tweets and Updates. (Deadline Dec 20th)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheDr34m, Dec 14, 2013.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

I think Asik is too valuable - even if overpaid - to give him up just for Bogans. It would probably be in Bogans and a pick or maybe something like Bass, Bogans, and one of their cheap backup points (bradley, bayless, pressey) for Asik, Motiejuanas and Lin- which would clear up cap space.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Root for Embiid to be off the board or Ainge drafts him and Asik stays put.

The advantage of an Asik - pick trade is the cap relief to pursue you-know-who and/or a sizable TE.

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

Also, I think the only way Lin gets traded is if he's dealt with a pick and Asik or we trade him and like 2 2nd rounders to a tanking team at the deadline for them to clear cap. (Lin for Thad Young at the deadline? Who says no.).

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I look forward to another summer of updating my Twitter feed every 30 seconds for Rockets updates.

5. basketballholic

The above trade is not ridiculous. Rondo has 1 year left on his contract. He can go where he wants after that. That severely limits Boston's trade flexibility. Asik is worth at least one first round draft pick...probably somewhere around pick #10 and #17 (worst).

As for Lin for Butler....I have never, ever, ever recommended a trade like that alone. I did recommend a trade of Lin to Milwaukee and I still think Milwaukee is a good possible landing spot for Lin. If Milwaukee could find a team to dump Larry Sanders' contract on...I'm sure they'd really think hard about take one year of Lin at $15 million to do it and then possibly re-signing Lin with his Birds rights or letting him walk.

I did suggest Lin for Ilyasova.....another underrated stretch-4 who is owed multiple years. But I wouldn't trade Lin for Ilyasova by himself. And I did suggest Lin for Ridnour or Butler as a means of possibly moving out his contract but it was with the thought that we would have to take back Ilyasova with him.

However if we did trade for Rondo to keep then Ilyasova would be a great fit in the lineup with him because of his shooting. Something like Lin to Milwaukee and Asik/Jones/2 picks to Boston for Rondo/Ilyasova/Bogans would be somewhat interesting.

Lin fits in Boston or Milwaukee.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If they have a trade exception, maybe they'll flip Rondo for a center and we can rent Lin out to them (and include cash in the deal).

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morey mentioned that the Rockets "can create max cap room." If he says so, I tend to believe that he has a few solid leads on how this might get done.

Of course Morey didn't trade Lin or Asik for cap room in February, but there were still games to be played and no big time free agent to be signed in February. Come July, the incentives are different.

The main issue is really whether there is anyone willing to come to Houston that's worth making room for. The best free agents-- Lebron, Melo, Bosh, etc.-- and the best stars who might get traded-- Rondo, Love-- are gonna have many teams chasing them. The team got Dwight to choose them last season, no guarantee of similar success this year.

8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree Asik is very valuable. The man is a top 5 center in this League.

But, he is not overpaid, and we're not giving him away.... by any means. Omer is worth the equivalent of a top 10 pick IMO.

And I wouldn't be so quick to throw Donatas in there either..HE will continue to get better and better...This guy will be much better than TJones down the road. Mounty was always going to take longer to dsevelop but with a higher ceiling, while Jones was more NBA ready.

We have plenty of ammo and when we fire our big guns and go get another all star and another PG...folks will be shocked at how much value these guys have.

Yes, Lin will have to have other asset/assets attached...

Plus we will have leverage when we make our move.

I look for a 3 or 4 team blockbuster....

9. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

I have to think the Rockets can do better than just a salary dump for Asik. They should at least get a pick back, even if it is a heavily protected #1.

However, I am not sure I understand all the talk about taking Bogans or a TPE back for Asik. The trade wouldn't (or at least definitely shouldn't) happen until we had a basic agreement with Carmelo or another top FA. At that point, the Celtics would be far enough under the cap that they could take on Asik's $8.375M cap hit without any issue. I understand if he was involved in separate deals for Asik and Lin or just a Lin salary dump, but not just for Asik.

If we can get a commitment from a top FA (Carmelo, James, etc.) then I would be happy with coming away with basically washing Lin and Asik for nothing, but that (to me) essentially means getting a pick with Asik and giving away that pick with Lin.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

Did he though? Remember the rumor Clutch brought to light about the Rockets thinking they had a done deal for Aldridge befre this season began. The spec that Asik would've had to been part of that package.

11. ginia1110

ginia1110 Member

I'd really cringe if Milwaukee's desperate enough to even take on Lin's balloon contract, even with a promise of a pick. Do they have the money? Would they pay him that amount in just a year?

I read in an interview with Morey though that he's just gonna let Asik's contract run its course? Did anyone read that? I think that article was here in clutch.

Morey should just trade Asik this year with a 2nd round pick, I mean, he's got to set his sights low, doesn't everybody know by now that he wants to dump Asik & Lin to get Cap space?

They must get a solid PG, like seriously this summer. Won't it be too late to deal in 2015? Adjusting would be a b**** if the trade's done next year, and potentially wasting another year to contend. I mean, look at Harden, someone's ought to share ball handling responsibilities with him, and someone who's not as meek as Lin. The kid's learn his lesson to stay out of the way since his Melo debacle in NY and I don't think he's gonna change.

I'm so impatient now, I just hope Morey makes his moves soon. :p

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I wouldn't get too impatient. NBA trade season wont open up until a few days before the draft at the earliest (June 26th). However this week (at the draft combine in Chicago) is typically when GM's start chatting.

NBA trading is all about deadlines. Key Summer dates are June 24th - 26th (draft day trades), and July 1st (start of free agency). Nothing will happen during the Playoffs in May/early June. However that last week of June is when things will get interesting.

This year, I'm expecting more to happen on July 1st than on draft night. I think you'll lots of chatter coming from the Rockets camp before the end of June(leading up to the deadline for Parsons' contract to be picked up) but everything will revolve around their options in free agency with S&T's and deals they have lined up for Lin & Asik that revolve around creating cap space. Until then, you might just want to kick back and relax because its going to be a long month.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Point taken. I have mentioned elsewhere (in other posts, I think) that I believe one of Morey's main reasons for holding onto Asik was because Aldridge stated during the 2013 NBA All Star festivities that it'd be great to play in Houston.

Of course, irony of ironies: Aldridge craps on that idea when the Blazers turn out to be pretty decent; and the Blazers also wind up with TRob virtually for free so we can sign Dwight Howard (which I'd do again in a heartbeat, but it doesn't assuage the pain of a near-wasted season topped off with Kevin-McHale gonna-stay poo-berry frosting).

So, Asik has value. That we can see. Maybe to Boston.

Lin, on the other hand? Maybe only if the receiving team (Knicks? Nets? Lakers?) has deep pockets.

Do we find teams to help with cap space or do we find some megatrade involving our balloon-payments bro's or some combo thereof (Asik to Boston, expirings + Lin and draft picks for Carmelo)?

Just a shame we're talking about all this so early. But I do admit I am looking forward to watching the Blazers shuffle off the court chagrined tonight. We handed them that series.

14. i3artow i3aller

15. Play07

Play07 Member

The TPE, Carmelo Anthony, and the Asik trade revisited

"There's the Rondo-to-the-Rockets rumor that will be raised again between Danny Ainge and Daryl Morey, but something smaller could be done that would allow the Celtics to retain their All-Star point guard, add the defensive center they've been looking for in Omer Asik, and free up cap space for Morey to add a third superstar in Carmelo Anthony. Here's the scenario"

http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/5/13/5714222/the-tpe-carmelo-anthony-and-the-asik-trade-revisited

-the celtics just love talking about Morey, danny, and ASIK on their blog, they want Asik bad, here’s another article they recently posted. Solid read

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Sounds all right to me. Asik will want a starting job. Lin played fairly well against the Blazers at times, but we need to get Melo. He isn't the best fit, but we are in need of a star, who can create his own shot. He won't cringe in clutch situations.
    Harden still has a long way to go. He can move to the PG spot, and play off the ball too. I know he can't stop Lillard etc, but a healthier Bev can help us off the bench.

17. FeaR

FeaR Member

The comments as usual are hilarious(Most of them want Lin/asik and a first). According to your signature(3rd sentence), will never Rockets go past the first round ? How much better DH can play in a series?

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

I feel "meh" about that trade proposal, which probably means its a reasonable deal. It makes sense that Asik's "excess value" above his contract would make up for Lin's negative value.

19. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Asik is gone while Lin stays and I don't get my Rondo..... :(

20. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Great trade!!
    Asik + lin for Salary space and 1 first(?)
    if Carmelo wants to join Houston this trade is going to happen