1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omer Asik Trade. Rumors, Tweets and Updates. (Deadline Dec 20th)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheDr34m, Dec 14, 2013.

1. DustinS

DustinS Contributing Member

Dwight trade? You're just joking right?

2. Braunatron

Braunatron Member

It would be the full 15 for Chicago but 8.3 for everyone else. Just FYI.

3. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Lin to philly The 786rs have a young stud in Carter Williams and Wroten who is a great backup. Lin to the Lakers would make more sense as Blake is done for the next 6 weeks.

4. torocan

torocan Member

Uh, that's 100% wrong.

The cap hit is $8.3M this year AND next year regardless of which team takes on their contract.

The cap hit per year is established at the point of original signing. At the point of the original contract, it is $8.3M/year for 3 years for the Rockets, $5/5/15M for the Bulls/Knicks.

However, once that contract is signed, the Cap hit then crystallizes at that value. In other words, if you trade Asik back to the Bulls, their cap hit is STILL $8.3M this year AND next year. This is different than the actual check that needs to be cut, which in the case of Asik is $5M this year and $15M next year.

Basically Asik's contract is treated as a lump sum contract, so the CBA requires that it be amortized over the life of the contract for purposes of the CBA regardless of the actual checks being issued.

If Atlanta receives Asik, the cap hit to them will be $8.3M next year. The payroll department will cut checks for $15M.

Personally, I find it a bit surprising that you still hold to this misconception regarding Asik's contract considering this has been WIDELY discussed in a TON of threads since the very first day that Morey created the poison pill contracts to acquire Asik and Lin.

Are you that forgetful? Or did you just not read those threads?

1 person likes this.
  5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

K. I didn't read the posts following up to that and missed your point. That's fair. Just say that they should keep it rockets talk, no need to take a dig at texans fans; I also thought they would be unreal this year :)

6. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Also Gasol and Dwight failed together in La.

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

8. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

To make sure the deal gets finalized tomorrow so we can move guys on the deadline day again.
    Tomorrow night would be risky because of the call with the league office and everything that has to take place.

Wouldn't be suprised if we have a good idea of the trade tonight, with the game vs the Bulls we could see certain players being pulled. Then trade would be finalized tonight or tomorrow morning and be completed tomorrow mid day.

9. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

They actually played really well together when Kobe was out down the stretch.

Wouldn't be suprised to see Pau in a Rockets uniform this season but ideally it would be at the trade deadline although that might be hard to pull off with his big salary that has to be matched in a trade.

10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Nah deals can be made before the deadline but officially wrapped up after. Been done plenty of times with the February deadline

11. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

I never once mentioned anything about Asik or his contract. I never said Anything about Asik. I was talking about Lin.

12. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Haven't been keeping up with this thread, has this been covered?:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Raven

Raven Member

Interesting

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

My interpretation:

First, I would ignore the "2" and "4". That's typical twitter speak, and likely has no significance to the message. In the past when Doc Rocket has used numbers to replace letters, its been letters in a word, like "wh3n".

Let's look at the message without all the rhyming.

"Asik's unwillingness to work with the Rocket has led to this trade. He will be traded for someone who will be a "mainstay" on this team (i.e. not just an "asset"). This person or persons will be 3 point shooters. Let's celebrate."

There's really only two words/phrases that stick out to me. "Mainstay" and "URICH-A".

The only player that has been mentioned that strikes me as a potential "Mainstay" on this team is Millsap. Everyone else is on a bad contract or is just an asset. Also, MainStay -> MillSap.

Second, URICH-A. Someone mentioned a connection to Spencer Hawes. That's possible. Based on DocRocket's previous tweet "queen to queens-level 3", which referred to a Star Trek episode where someone posing as Captian KIRK was asked this code word, I think it's more likely referring to Kirk HinRICH. In addition, the "-A" probably means Atlanta, or Kirk Hinrich is going to Atlanta in the 3 team deal.

15. Andrew Wiggins

What if nothing happens? :eek:

Morey makes an announcement saying we tried to trade Asik, but nobody offered anything we though was fair or that we liked enough to pull the trigger...yada yada yada...We've decided to shop him until February.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Lol. Not people need to familiarize themselves with rosters. The Cavs have a glut of PFs. I guess they'll just bench Tristan Thompson?

17. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

18. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Sport's Legion is a horrid source.

Rondo for Asik/pennies makes zero sense. If Celtics wanted Asik, they would be doing it to help them win now. Trading Rondo doesn't makes them weaker

19. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

terrible

this doesnt help us at all

20. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Cavs or the Celtics first picks?