1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omer Asik Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Franchize, Nov 15, 2013.

1. rj3000

rj3000 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Omer Asik won't play tonight. McHale said he is 'unavailable ' and 'under the weather'</p>&mdash; Jenny Dial Creech (@jennydialcreech) <a href="https://twitter.com/jennydialcreech/statuses/401852936717750272">November 16, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Play07

Play07 Member

Thanks !! Had a question so even if a PF takes asik $8.3, we would have $7 left which could go to parsons, and we would be at = $62 (projected cap)

& do you think the les would be willing to go over the $62 cap into luxury tax ?

thanks for breakdown that's good to know that we would still have $7. Left, I was concerned about how we would pay parsons

3. Remii

Remii Member

$30 million worth of centers and not a post move amongst them... I would have been perfectly fine without Howard but Asik you got to go...

4. MOHRocketeer

MOHRocketeer Rookie

I would also like to thank Asik for all the hard work he put in for the Rockets last year. I wish him the best wherever he ends up

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Asik is a top 3 defensive center in the league. He is a competitive player and rightfully wants more minutes.

6. LandryFields

LandryFields Member

he put the team on his back last year and you can't blame the guy for not wanting to stay on a team where he's not getting the minutes that he deserves...

7. LandryFields

LandryFields Member

you gotta put yourself in his shoes and think about how he feels when you have such a great season and then your team goes out and gets a player that plays the same position as you in FA..

8. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

He had more minutes. If he`d shown any motivation to make the twin towers work, he`d have gotten even more minutes. Howard will play about 36 minutes a night, so Asik gets 12 minutes alone. Add to that 6 minutes at the start of the game and 6 minutes at the start of the second half. For some games (SA, Mem...) he would also finish games. So Asik would get somewhere between 24 and 30 minutes a night. For a big guy that`s not bad at all.

If he is a competitive player he fights for his minutes here while he is still on this team and doesn`t sulk. Show some class and treat the organization that payed you more than anybody else would, that handed you the starting job in your first season together and that moved on to construct a near championship worthy roster, with some respect.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Asik is nowhere near Scola, folks. That was an Olympic winner and true professional.

Ömer can still turn this around for himself.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

On what evidence do you believe that he was not motivated to make the TT work?

How is he supposed to "fight for his minutes" after they pulled the plug on the TT? Get Howard's minutes? Would you be okay to have Howard play less than 30 minutes per game if Asik did "fight for his minutes" successfully? Would Morey be okay with it?

11. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

Asik is one of the best in basketball at his position. He is a rebounding machine! You might not think he is worth recognizing but if we missed the playoffs I think Howard prob wouldn't have came here. Without him we wouldn't have plain and simple, for that I am thankful. He was a hard worker who was a very valuable piece that helped us finally return to respectable. Thank u Asik and best of luck.

12. torocan

torocan Member

Pretty sure that Morey said that Les is willing to go into the Luxury tax under the right circumstance. Translation, give him people he feels good about paying, and he will.

So I can see him going into the Luxury Tax for the right team. The question is whether Morey can get the right players so that Les feels like it's worth doing.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think it is pretty obvious to everyone that he is not the long term answer.
    It should be no surprise to him that he would play backup to Howard since day 1 of the free agent signing.
    McHale actually did him a favor and started the TT project which cost us 1 or 2 games.

The question is why now? He is obviously starting to force Morey's hands.
    He is no GM and he doesn't understand the market.
    He just isn't a smart guy whether on the court or off the court.
    Blue collar guy going Diva!

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is one of the dying breed. True centers are not necessarily needed.
    If you have one like Howard. It's cool.
    You need a Duncan, Horford next to him... those hybrids that can rebound and score.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Maybe it's just me but I really sour on guys who demand trades from their teams, they're basically saying they'd rather be anywhere else but their current situation. Hell, everyone gave Tmac hell for quitting on the team, but even to the bitter end he didn't want to be traded away from Houston, even going as far as to have surgery just so he wouldn't be traded. Sometimes it's warranted, like when LBJ wanted out of Cleveland but in this case the Rox has done nothing but good by Asik. We basically paid him 3M more per year than what he could've gotten, and gave him a starting spot.

Now he starts pouting and demanding a trade? I was one of the biggest TT proponents on the board, but only if the guy wanted to be on the team. See ya Asik, I can't say I'd miss you. The only real question now is for what? IMHO a backup C who can provide paint protection when DH sits is the most important thing rather than yet another stretch 4. A guy like Horford would probably be golden.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tmac always remember his days with the Raptors, Magic and the Rockets.
    Among those his memories with the Rockets were the most unforgettable ones.

17. cw3k

cw3k Member

Twin towers don't work because both of them has no post move and/or mid range.

18. k-money

k-money Member

I wish i could get paid 10 million dollars a year to watch the rockets with first row seats

19. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Well, he demanded a trade on the night Howard was announcing he´s coming to Houston. Also it doesn`t seem as if he has put any work on a 12 foot jumper.

How is he supposed to fight? Well, start by playing hard and motivated and continue by not missing games because you don`t like the situation you are in.

Twin Towers can work if both work on their game and get some kind of a midrange game and at least being able to catch the ball. Asik has shown no sign that he wants to do that.

1 person likes this.
  20. ccrystal99

ccrystal99 Member

Also remember his several nose injury. Best Luck!