1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Olympics Basketball thread (non-US teams)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by dachuda86, Aug 4, 2012.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Hey guys... watching Brazil stomp China and thought it would be nice to post a thread for us todiscuss the games that are not involving the US men's team.

So far splitter is a beast! Also Scott Machado from Rockets is doing well on handles.:grin:

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

The game really could use more replays ....

3. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

What team is Machado representing? i havent seen him yet..

I'm loving the chemistry of some of the big euro teams like Spain, Russia and Lithuania.

Also my team (Aus) came through with a huge come from behind win to secure 4th place which means USA in the quarters.. Optimistic!

4. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm assuming this was meant sarcastically. If so, I'm with you. It's even worse on their iPad app where you can replay all the events. At least the pace at which basketball is played limits the number of replays they can show to some extent.

During handball and water polo, two other sports I have watched on the app, there is a longer play stoppage after goals. During this time, they show probably four or five replays in succession of the goal, no matter how routine.

5. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I don't think he is playing. He's Brazilian, but he's not on the roster and on his Twitter feed, he recently made a comment about sitting down to watch them play against GB.

6. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Down 79-80, Patty Mills with a 3-point dagger at the end of the game to give Australia the win over Russia, 82-80 final. Russia has been both the beneficiary and the victim of last second shots in their past 2 games.

7. Burko

Burko Member

I'm going to 2 of the quarter finals, unfortunately not the ones team USA are in. :(

8. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Aww man, I'm just watching this one.. Now I know how it ends :(

9. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

I have an extra ticket for the USA QF's if you're interested.

10. 713

713 Member

Look out for Canada 2016 and beyond when they get Wiggins to playfor them

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

If they don't develop more talent than Wiggins, they'll be perennial bronze medalists. Even if Wiggins becomes the best player in the league, they'll have to beat Spain and the US, who always have talented teams.

12. 713

713 Member

Don't really see Spain and Argentina being a threat to usa anymore after these olympics.. this was their golden generation...only viable nba players would be Rubio and Ibalka in 2016. The other countries look bleak..Could be the end of good international competition for a while.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Even with Wiggins they'll be nothing, prime Nash couldn't lead them close to anything. I doubt Jordan could've lead them to Bronze.

14. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

So Marc Gasol and all their other mid-20s guys are going to blow their knees, or what?
    Spain will be awesome for the foreseeable future. Even their college age generation looks great.

Argentina will fall hard. I don't remember a country that fell as hard as they will likely will. Not only won't they compete for medals, I don't see them qualifying for most tournaments in 4 years. Not even talking Brazil/US, Argentina will have a tough time beating Mexico, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Lithuania will be better in 4 years than they are now. They are experiencing a transition period which isn't smooth. But their youth has talent.

France will be fine. Italy will be fine. Russia will be fine. Ex-Yugoslavian countries will be fine, as always.
    Germany will not be fine.
    Overall, I don't see Canada as bronze medalists in anything, other than American tournaments.

15. 713

713 Member

Marc Gasol will 31 when Rio comes around....I seen/heard of no future "Talent" coming from Spain or hell internationally for the next 5 years..Only 2 players in the NBA from Spain will be remotely relevant and contributing for their respective teams by 2016 as in Rubio and Ibalka as I stated before. The International scene is washing up fast...Even if Spain is effective, that only leaves 3-4 Teams fighting for Silver and Bronze. None of them will be remotely as good as there predecessors and hell won't even be on the same playing level as the summer league rosters for NBA teams.

16. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Oh come on... Canada has more coming than just Wiggins. I'm not going to say that they're going to be consistent medalists, but over the next 4-6 years they should at least become regular 'threats' comparable to Brazil, Russia, France, Turkey, Lithuania, etc.

Some young players include:

PG: Kevin Pangos, Cory Joseph, Myck Kabongo
    SG: Andy Rautins, Kris Joseph
    SF: Andrew Wiggins, Trey Lyles
    PF: Andrew Nicholson, Tristan Thompson, Khem Birch, Anthony Bennett
    C: Rob Sacre

Plus the less promising but more proven players such as:
    -Jermaine Anderson (PG solid player overseas)
    -Carl English (SG overseas)
    -Levon Kendall (PF overseas)
    -Joel Anthoony

And maybe...
    -Matt Bonner (applying for citizenship)
    -Sam Dalembert (issues with the team might be done now that Nash is GM)

I'm not saying they're gonna be great, but I think they at least have potential to compete at the top-level. It's not "just Wiggins" coming up, there's a ton of Canadian talent between 16 and 22 years old right now.

17. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

This one was the better Australian buzzer beater
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ujBYOrKnE
    Except from the women's team.

18. Burko

Burko Member

It's ok, I'm going with the gf so I really need 2.

There is still a chance of getting them, i'm just refreshing the page to see if any become availablt on the ticketing website.

Cheers though!

19. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

...which means Marc Gasol will be younger than Pau Gasol is right now. so again, is he going to blow up his knees, or?
    there's plenty of young talent in Spain, as well as other teams. most of what you are saying here is simply uninformed.

20. Burko

Burko Member

I've just realised that Team USA play in the last game tomorrow, 22.15 local time.

That means I do in fact have a ticket for that game, happy days.