1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OLED, QLED and other TVs - Recommendations and News

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Yung-T, Oct 18, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It's extremely overkill for YouTube, but if you game with PS4 upwards consoles or watch high budget shows, it's definitely great to have a medium to high-end TV capable of 4k and good HDR. What games are you interested in or currently playing?

Those numbers are really misleading (I'm not just bashing OLED here), as they are from a pre-HDR era where the luminance and peak brightness of panels and source material was multiple times lower than in today's HDR era. Watching or gaming with HDR results in a much bigger panel wear and will drastically reduce those 100k hours.

And even then, the hours result in a gradual decrease in brightness (both OLED and LCD) and also colors (for OLED) resulting in a 50% brightness loss when you hit the stated life expectancy, but you'll notice the reduction in brightness even after it only drops for a few percent long before that.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

I don't know any normal person who has watched 50K of TV.

But I understand some of you play fortnite for days.

Sajan likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

YouTube 4K videos on the CX - O LAWDDDDDD. Blow you away. If you're a light-use user, even less reason to worry. If the nits go down 1% over 5 years who cares. You're viewing using the human eye not a robot eye.

Sajan, Blatz and tinman like this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

@Ziggy

Do your research, there's lots of opinions and reviews.

But don't let the dude who drives a Ford Fiesta dissuade you from buying that AMG Benz.

Sajan and Ziggy like this.
  6. tinman

Supporting Member

@Blatz
    The TV is smart enough to know if you aren't watching anything. It will turn off.
    Also Alexa activated too.

Listen to @Ziggy and I , we are here for you.
    We won't let you eat taco bell, it's carne asade for you friend

arkoe likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

8. tinman

Supporting Member

@Blatz
    This is what @Ziggy and I think of you

This is what the cheapskates think of you

Blatz likes this.
  9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Recommending a high-end TV for YouTube, which has extremely limited bandwidth, gamut and rarely ever HDR makes literally zero sense.
    All the features (HDR quality, color gamut) of a high-end TV are literally not present in 99% of YouTube content and the panel won't be able to produce a difference compared to a medium range TV.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Trying to stop someone wants an OLED is like trying to stop a Rocket flying into orbit with a nerf ball

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I explicitly worded my comment for OLED and LCD and didn't tell him to not buy OLED, maybe take a second to read instead of doing your standup routine.

Telling someone who mainly watches YouTube to buy a high-end TV is just nonsense, as current YouTube inherently doesn't utilize what sets high-end TVs apart from medium range.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

OLED is the best tv technology out now

people wanting to watch on lesser TVs
    That’s ok too

hot dogs vs. steaks

13. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

What's everyone's outlook on next gen gaming 4K 120hz? Can it be done natively and can that be the new norm? I'm deciding between the LG CX and the Sony A8H. CX has all the future-proof stuff on paper, but it seems rocky out out the gate. Bandwidth limitations, lifted black level with VRR, and limited colors are some sacrifices in running HDMI 2.1 features. The A8H has slightly better picture quality but lacks HDMI 2.1

I'm trying to see if HDMI 2.1 is worth investing in right now, or if I should just get a great TV without all that stuff. Not saying the CX is that much worse in PQ, but the A8H is also $100 cheaper right now.

Blatz likes this.
  14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

4k 120hz won't be the norm with PS5 and XSX, as the hardware isn't good enough (you'll see 1440p 120hz a lot, which can be done with hdmi 2.0).

I'd really advise you to wait for the 2021 models (coming in spring), as currently there's not a single TV with true hdmi 2.1 or without the mentioned VRR issues.
    They rushed out hdmi 2.1 TVs this year just to beat competition that didn't implement it, fully knowing their hardware isn't capable of full hdmi 2.1 features.

Blatz and clutch citizen like this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have a plasma that's pretty old but I still love, I want to go bigger probably 60 inch, what older (less expensive) TV should I be looking at that compares to plasma?

This is in the bedroom so viewing distance and lighting are not issues.

Don't need all of the bells and whistles don't game and don't watch 4k.

16. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Is it even worth waiting for HDMI 2.1 next year then since the PS5 isn't good enough to handle true 4K 120? I'll probably only ever have a PS5 and Apple TV as my main media sources. And if so, do you recommend the A8H over the CX? Not sure if you're familiar with either. I've read that they are nearly identical in picture quality, but the A8H's processor yields a slightly better picture. Motion, shadow detail, and definition.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Anyone knows LG warranty on their OLED display or burnin, if they specifically call out that? thinking of cx vs Samsung q8. I don’t know anything about oled tv but oled pc, it’s a problem still.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Great purchase

Blake likes this.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

LG is known to cover burn-in out of warranty. They replace the panel. No guarantees though.

tinman likes this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Plasma people gravitate to OLED. Us plasma people know not to be hiding in our bunkers over "burn-in".

Blake and tinman like this.