1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OLED, QLED and other TVs - Recommendations and News

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Yung-T, Oct 18, 2020.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Bought a qled and returned it after saw an oled at a friends house

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep
    OLED is Hakeem
    QLED is Hasheem

Baba Booey, Ziggy and Tommyboy like this.
  3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55...art-tv-with-google-tv/6538130.p?skuId=6538130

I just bought this 55'' inch TCL Q7 (any bigger in my office would be too big). This thing is FANTASTIC. 120HZ, Full-Array (no mini LED), 1000 nits, and one of the HDMI ports does 144hz/another does 120hz. This is the CLEANEST grey I have ever seen on an HDTV (almost no DSE). There is a 65,75, and 85 versions of the Q7. There is also a mini-LED version (QM8) in those sizes. Both are getting great reviews. HiSense and TCL are both stepping up their game this year.

ROCKSS likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's Q LED? Not O LED? O-lawdt. Qanon TVs.

tinman likes this.
  5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

QLED.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm holding out for QWERD.

7. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Man, that ain't no TV. :D

Seriously, though, I just built a new PC and am looking for a new monitor. Just don't know if I should get 1440p or 4k, so I decided to wait until BF sales or early next year when they should be clearing stuff out for newer models. My only problem is I'm looking for a 32" non-curved model, not necessarily a gaming monitor, and really good ones at that size are rare.

9. Baba Booey

Sorry! I figured a monitor was close enough.

I thought a 34” curved screen would be too big, but it’s perfect. I was planning on getting a 4K monitor at first, but I don’t think that’s really necessary on the smaller screens. They don’t even do 4K OLED yet on the smaller screens, only big TVs, as far as I’ve seen. 4K will also tax your vid card pretty hard.

Gaming or not, you cannot beat the QD-OLED. It’s absolutely beautiful. I am playing Baldur’s Gate 3 like a second job and it wows me all the time. It’s the best purchase I’ve made in a while. If you built a machine with a 4090 or the 7900XT, treat yourself to the OLED. You won’t be disappointed. This is also the first curved screen I have had and I love it.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I only went for a 4080 since it finally went under $1000 (and probably still overpriced... lol). I was too scared if I got a 4090, it would be the next one to catch fire with that idiotic plug/connection that they're (quietly) talking about changing now. That and I didn't want a nuclear reactor to power the thing and have my room cooking in the summers. :D I was intent on getting a 7900 XTX, but then that thing has its own issues, so I gave up/gave in and got the 4080. The 4080 deal combined with the deals on the 7950x3d I got was what finally pushed me over the edge to get a new PC. That and my 7 year old pc had a GTX 1080 in it that was starting to make weird noises on and off.

For me, the issue with 4k and curved monitors is all the non-gaming stuff I do. Every time I look at text on a curved monitor, I feel like I'm swimming or something. I can understand curved monitors once you get to 40"+, but under that it just seems gimmicky. I don't know. I've got an OLED TV, and that's been great, so I don't mind going for an OLED monitor, but it's definitely not a requirement - just trying to find one in the size I want and being non-curved is going to be the problem. Maybe I'll move up to 34", but I still don't know about that dang curve. That monitor you got is a really good one, though.

I'll definitely be playing BG3 eventually, so that's good to hear. Did you get the WF or the W model? You linked the WF model, but quoted the W price. Then maybe a few weeks ago that was the price on the WF. I think the only difference is the FreeSync vs G-Sync for nVidia vs AMD cards and mybe some PS5/XBox compatibility.

One thing for sure - I'm glad prices on some of this stuff is dropping - hopefully it continues.

Baba Booey likes this.
  11. Baba Booey

4080 is still very nice. I’m on a 3070ti and it’s plenty good for the time being.

The price came down on the one I bought a few weeks ago. I got the AW3423DWF. The one with G-Sync is the first model and no one should buy it. You cannot update the firmware and it’s missing most of the features that have been added. You also don’t even need G-Sync. FreeSync has basically become the standard and it works on Nvidia cards. Almost everything that comes out now is FreeSync with G-Sync compatibility.

I work remotely at home and now use the OLED as one of my work monitors as well. I am looking at spreadsheets and building plans all day and the curved monitor doesn’t bother me a bit. I was very hesitant to get one at first but I’m sold. I think an utrawide flat screen wouldn’t be as good.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, even a 4080 is probably overkill for what I care about, but I wanted this video card to last for around 4-5 years. Thanks for the "real-world" experience. I'll have to head over to MicroCenter and check out some more curved models or something. I honestly don't care about G-Sync or FreeSync. I'm so used to my 6 or 7 year old 1440p BenQ that is starting to develop tons of light bleed, anything would be an improvement. :D One thing I'll definitely hold out for though, would be a good sale (unless my current monitor dies).

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I was in your position more-or-less not too long ago. It's shocking how few solid choices there are in this category. It is also frustrating to see unspectacular monitors priced so high compared to amazing OLED TV's.

The 42in LG blows any non-curved monitor out of the water. Or at least it did when I was looking 6-9 months ago-ish.

Ultimately I narrowed it down to the Inzone M9 & Dell G3223Q (after crossing off the M32U). I wanted something that could handle somewhat decent HDR, played nicely with PS5, could be used to watch media from afar occasionally and handled glare well.

If you aren't looking for all of those things it opens you up to Samsung and LG. But I Imagine there are new models out now that might be better deals.

I wound up with the M9 and it's very cool but a bit glitchy and doesn't blow me away like an LG OLED. I might have been fine with a 27in but 32in is helpful in a bind.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I have the Dell G3223Q, LG 32GQ950-B, Gigabyte M32U, and the Dell Alienware AW3423DWF (if I can deal with the curve) on my shopping list so far. I think I'm forgetting another one I wanted to add.

I would get a 42"+ OLED or something, but I would have to mount that on a wall because I'm not putting that monstrosity on my desk. lol. For me, 32" or possibly 34" would be the ideal size. I'm leaning towards 1440 vs 4k, but still deciding on that.

You said you got the M9, but I thought that only came in 27" or are you saying you ended up with a 27"?

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ah, you are RIGHT! It is 27in!

I thought I wanted 32 but it turned out 27 is more than enough to meet my use-case. 70% video games, 20% media, 10% 2nd PC monitor. Very glad I did not go bigger (speaking to my needs).

When I am on the couch in the office, about 8-10 feet from the monitor, it's just enough TV to get the job done. It's where I watch Winning Time since the dog hates whistles. When I am up close gaming, it's still just a BIT TOO much screen to be honest, and I need to scoot back a bit.This is the reason why I somehow got it into my head that it was 32in (over time of ownership).

I was very close to getting that Dell you are looking at. It seemed to fly under the radar.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ziggy likes this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not sure about prices on 55s (too small) but good feedback.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Maybe this is why they're on sale so much :

I just read on RTINGS.com that some of their test sets also get image burn-in/retention, and when I went to RTINGS to check it out, they had issues with a failure (and burn-in), too. From https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/longevity-investigations-update-3-month

While we were preparing this article and concluding our extra investigations, our Samsung S95B OLED failed. We dismantled it and discovered that the power supply was no longer providing any DC voltage to the electronics. We've ordered replacement parts for it, which should arrive before the end of March. If we can't repair it, we plan on buying a replacement S95B to continue our test.

We've also received the 2023 version of this TV, the Samsung S95C OLED, which Samsung advertises as more resilient. Let us know in the forums if you want us to add the S95C to the longevity test when we're done testing it!

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That's interesting. I haven't heard anything bad about that TV yet, but then again, it's still relatively new, new tech for Samsung, and I do not own it so I'm not in the weeds researching it.

I am an LG man. If you get burn-in with LG (you pretty much wont with the 8 series and up) they replace your panel (even out of warranty).

Shame to hear about Samsung have issues with that TV because the PQ is top tier for those people crying about BRIGHTNESS like they need to stare into the sun or something.

Mr.Scary and ROCKSS like this.