1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OLED, QLED and other TVs - Recommendations and News

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Yung-T, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I said brighter display and display of bright colours, which doesn't mean it just produces a brighter image. OLEDs atm technically can't display several bright color shades that LCDs do.

Maybe watch those Teoh videos again that you are always quick to post but seemingly don't watch.

Squirtle likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OLED > LED

beyond obvious
    @Ziggy

Ziggy likes this.
  3. tinman

Supporting Member

@Ziggy

note how he said 'high end' not for 'low end' aka cheapskates

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What is the phrase you put in front of "aka cheapskates"? I cant see it because whatever it was, I have it blocked on all my devices. I'm guessing it said Jordan wasn't in the league in 1994-1995?

tinman likes this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's just barely matching Costco's deals that started a day or so ago, but with Costco you also get streaming credits and extended warranty in the price, I believe. Costco's deals are from October 27 - November 21. I have until November 14th to use a Costco $40 Shop card, though.... ugh.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

For anyone interested :

Several places are discounting the LG OLEDs now for Black Friday/holidays : Best Buy, Costco, Amazon, BuyDig, etc. Also, if you're active military or a vet, you can also save some money on them on shopmyexchange.com.

Also, noticed that several sites have dropped the price on Ultra-HD Blu-Ray players. I've been waiting for the Sony UBP-UX700/M models to go on sale and it looks like they're on sale or discounted everywhere (Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon, etc). Perfect timing to go with a new tv.

tinman likes this.
  8. Sajan

Sajan Member

What’s the brighter alternative to a LG oled?
    Asking for my brother who has a bright living room…

9. tinman

Supporting Member

You mean a tv with good anti glare ?

Sajan likes this.
  10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Squirtle likes this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Samsung is becoming known more so for their decent Atmos Soundbar with upfiring rear speakers at a fair price. It's just so ugly compared to the Sonos setup (sans upfiring rears).

Cell phone department seems to be consolidating.

TV department - downhill since 2017.

Sony & LG are just on another level right now.

But I don't think anyone, at any point-in-time, can top the level of superiority Pioneer had with the KURO plasma. Far and away the best in the class in that era.

tinman likes this.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Any links or models + prices?

14. supaflyz

supaflyz Member

Thank you man for your information. I got the 85 qn90a. The picture is amazing. The dark level is very nice. I put on some of my blu ray movies and the picture is amazing! Dark levels are near OLED level. The tv is very bright. It was manufacture in September 2021. I didn't notice any blooming except from watching from the side angle, but who watches it that way? Had my recliner set up and sofa with my B& W speakers and SVS pb4000. The sound and picture was terrific.

Deckard and Yung-T like this.
  15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Congrats, happy to hear.
    And yea, I suspect the people that always talk about black levels/blooming never saw a good QLED outside of a store, it's indistinguishable in most scenarios (even experts like Teoh mention it), plus you get the great brightness&color palette and good motion handling.

Squirtle likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

Thanks for the pure advice

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

On the TV's?

Just check Costco, Best Buy, BuyDig, etc. for the LG C1' s. The 65" was going for around $1799.99 at several places. At Costco, that includes $100 streaming credit and extends the warranty another 3 years, I think, though I don't think they cover burn-in -- Best Buy does, but their extended warranty costs additional $$. I'm about to pull the trigger on that one. They had the 48", 55", 77", and 83" models for similar discounts/deals. I think the tv price at shopmyexchange.com for military folks is another $100 cheaper or so.

Deal @ Costco for the LG C1 65" + $100 streaming credits + 3 year exteneded warranty

On the Sony UBP-UX700 and UX700M?

I think the regular price is around $250, but several places have it on sale for $149.99 or so.
    I went ahead and bought it from Best Buy and for giggles added a "4-year warranty" for $20.

Deal @ Best Buy for the UBP-UX700

#397 Dr of Dunk, Nov 4, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    Ziggy likes this.
  18. supaflyz

supaflyz Member

Indeed. Some scenes I had to do a double take. Now I just need to upgrade my receiver.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Nice to see another SVS fan. I bought my svs 20-39pc+ back in 2005. The B.A.S.H. amp on it finally bit the bullet earlier this year, so I was going to either replace the amp or replace the entire unit. SVS said they could give me a better SLEDGE amp for $400. That's a pretty good amp, but I'd be pairing it with a 16-year old driver, so I thought it may be better to spend a bit more and get a whole new sub. I asked for opinions about it on a home theater forum and surprisingly Tom Vodhanel responded saying he may have an old B.A.S.H. lying around he'd ship to me. It wasn't "new", but if it worked he'd ship it to me. I was thinking he'd give me a discount. It blew my mind when the guy said he didn't want anything for it and didn't even charge me shipping. He said everything works, but it may need new pots, but I didn't care. We checked the measurements on the opening and decided it was a version of the amp that would fit, so he shipped it to me. I pulled the old one out, dropped the new amp in and the sub was bangin' again. He saved me about $400-$1500. FYI, Tom Vodhanel is the "V" in SVS. He left the company a whlie back and started his own company. That was about the coolest thing. I told him when this sub dies or when I move into my new house, I'll be looking to buy a sub from him (and SVS maybe).

Sajan likes this.
  20. Sajan

Sajan Member

I've been eyeing this one.
    https://www.svsound.com/products/pb-2000-pro

Another option I can't decide on is to whether to go with dual 1000 pro instead. Decisions.

#400 Sajan, Nov 4, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2021