1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OLED, QLED and other TVs - Recommendations and News

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Yung-T, Oct 18, 2020.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I was walking around the Domain in Austin last week and my son saw a lady with one on the sidewalk. He was freaking out wondering where she got it and curious if they had more.

Anyways since it is so easy, please provide a link for purchase @tinman my kiddo would consider you a hero.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

contributing members getting stuff while non contributing members don't
    hmmm

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They can't even find lowly Qled, gotta settle for poo-led.

tinman likes this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Nice. I think I'd probably still go with the previous Costco deal, though for the "extra" 4-year warranty and ease of return if something goes wrong although the Costco warranty doesn't cover burn-in. Best Buy's does, though, I think. That, and if something goes wrong, I can just take it down the road. lol. They also throw in streaming deals if you're into that.

I also think I'm leaning to the C1 over the A80J, though either one would do for my use, I think.

#364 Dr of Dunk, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Genesis likes this.
  5. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

What's your price range? Apps like offer up have PS5 combos for a premium. I was able to get one, but I barely use it (< 5hrs) now... life got busy =/.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah, I have seen those. Sometimes the premium is not too bad either.

I'm a single parent these days and work part-time while in school so it's retail or nothing for me. My son really wants one but he is not petulant about it and knows eventually he will get one.

The thing I was thinking about is... it seems to me these retail stores could have used technology if they really wanted to have normal customers purchase ps5's instead of scalpers. I presume it is not in their best interests though. Sucks

7. supaflyz

supaflyz Member

What do you guys think about the qn90a from Samsung. I saw it several times at Best Buy. The picture is really nice and the dark scenes is pretty stellar for and LCD. I was thinking of getting a 85 inch qn90a for my living room. It doesn't have a lot of windows, but I figure the bigger tv compared to a 77 inch OLED will be more immersive for gaming and movies. The only downside is x1 hdmi 2.1. Maybe I can circumvent this problem by getting an hdmi switch or a receiver? I know the 2021 receiver should be better than the 2020 with the whole hdmi 2.1 fiasco.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

LCD is a great choice for the blind. @tinman

tinman likes this.
  9. tinman

Supporting Member

Samsung doesn't have Dolby Vision
    That's basically like watching an overhead projector

10. supaflyz

supaflyz Member

what about LG GX 77 inch? Is the c1 that much better or can I save about $500 bucks from the C1.

tinman likes this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

The GX is a great tv . It’s the thinnest tv so it’s flush against the wall.
    It’s player

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

When in doubt - Vincent Teoh.

tinman likes this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The GX is a flat/picture frame tv. The C1 isn't. Did you mean G1 vs. GX? Or C1 vs. CX? Or maybe you really did mean GX vs. C1?
    The GX is meant to be wall-mounted, and I don't think it comes with a stand, so if you aren't going to wall-mount it, consider that you'll have to get a stand for it.

GX/G1 : picture frame tv's meant to be mounted on walls like pictures (and display art)
    C1/CX : "normal" tv that can be mounted on a wall or set on a stand.

Otherwise, flip a coin. Unless people point things out to you in a side-by-side comparison, you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference among all these. If you're like most people it'll be a case of "hey, that one looks pretty good... and .... so does that one... "

14. supaflyz

supaflyz Member

Yes I meant GX vs c1. I know the Gx is a flatter screen meant for mounting on the wall as well as the atsc 3.0 tuner. There are so many choices! The a80j is nice as well. I don't know if the 85 will be much more immersive. I'm just afraid of burn in because I fall asleep sometime watching tv. I know they will be a huge improvement over my current 65 inch 1080p Sony.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Most people end up comparing the A80J with the C1 since they're direct competitors with common features/uses. Rtings.com, I think, were the ones that thought the C1 was better for gaming and the A80J for movies. I'm going to get a 65" C1 more than likely even though I'll be watching movies on it more than anything probably.

tinman likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

fallen asleep many times bro. There's many failsafe things that work.
    no issues.

there's a better chance you win Squid Game than get burn in on OLED

ATXNekko likes this.
  17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The Muppet's Haunted Mansion looks dope on OLED @tinman The way BRIGHT-brights shine through RIGHT NEXT to dark, perfectly black pixels, it's beautiful. It's.... HAUNTING.

tinman likes this.
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

Nintendo just put out an OLED switch

there's a reason for that

OLED is king

Ziggy likes this.
  19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I'd advise you to really read the reviews on rtings and watch the hdtvtest comparison videos.

It basically boils down to QLED being better for overall brightness, bright scenes and more vivid colours (lg OLEDs inherently have a worse color gamut and display of brighter color tones, think anime or nature docs with bright daylight scenes), plus better handling of 24fps material.

While OLED is better for shows/movies with a lot of night or space scenes and darker material, but handles bright scenes and vibrant colours worse than QLED.

These are the main pros and cons and they are detailed well in the sources I mention, so try to think of what stuff you watch more or what kind of games you play.

I'd also advise you to not listen to the likes of tinman and ziggy, they've for now 2yrs straight shown they have never even watched the videos or reviews they post and completely missed the pros and cons of each technology.
    They'll just tell you that OLED is the best for everything, no matter the use case, which is debunked by their own sources and when every expert makes sure to show you in what scenario each TV shines more than the other.
    So try to get unbiased sources instead of the uninformed circlejerk in this thread.

And you're right in that dark scenes are handled really well by an LCD with enough dimming zones, my Q9FN for example doesn't have any blooming and ppl like Vincent Teoh will tell you the same (no worse blacks than OLED in normal day or dimly lit room scenarios).

#379 Yung-T, Oct 21, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

QLED being brighter doesn't mean anything. It's like saying a BMW is louder than a TSLA. How bright do you ****ing need something to be lol? Are you mole? What OLED does that QLED cannot hold a candle to that involves brightness, is display BRIGHT colors (like the sun) RIGHT UP against dark pixels. The result is a stunning image. If you have a gripe it should be about something like motion-handling, not brightness. Any TV can produce sufficient levels of brightness. I have a bright plasma from 2007. Who cares?