1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OLED, QLED and other TVs - Recommendations and News

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Yung-T, Oct 18, 2020.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Decided to put this one in the bedroom and not outside. Skeptical as to how long a TV will last outside so the 50" Samsung is going out there. Will probably take it inside as much as I can and buy a cheap cover for it when it remains outside overnight.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Are you also in the QANON cult or just QLED cult? Lulz! :p

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

What does my post have to do with fanboying QLED?

I simply said the Mini-LED that Samsung and LG are releasing next year should be better than both current leading technologies.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nothing at all, just having FUN at your expense! Getting it in now, my New Year's Resolution will be to treat everyone like a 99er.

6. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

I changed my mind one final time and bought an A9G off Greentoe after seeing it in person.The range and depth of colors on oled is the biggest surprise coming from my plasma. HDR was a jolt to my eyes.

There is a pretty big drop off in picture quality between 4K Blu-ray and 4k streaming in my short experience. Hoping I can bridge that gap somewhat with settings.

Oh and I got a league pass trial, and it looks like total ****. It looks like 720, but I didn’t verify. Is that normal?

tinman likes this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

When you have a TV outside is it on a covered patio - away from rain/direct sun etc? I actually mounted one on my back patio (it's covered though so even in bad storms no direct rain etc.) Anyway - while over time a TV might die sooner from the elements it should still work for a long time... I mean after a few years most will replace them by then anyway.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Ive heard about this. Was dangerously close to buying the LG CX OLED but sounds like this may be the move.

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah... I like convenience of streaming and with you changing settings it'll help but even with high speed internet/new compression techniques it still has a way to go vs a 4k blu ray output.

I'll still buy a few 4k per year of movies I will actually watch again. I also have a decent sound system and the audio from blu ray is also better. I mainly want a handful of favorite movies to watch when I want and not solely rely on all the various streaming services. Like on a few if a movie is removed from all and you can buy online for your library or buy a blu ray... I'm buying the blu ray.

ryan_98, Yung-T and I am a Donut like this.
  10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Good info. It will be out of the sun and away from rain. I was just afraid of the moisture getting to it from the humidity.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Always a risk to early-adopt. The move might be to wait for that to release then get the CX on discount. We'll see how it plays out.

tinman and J Sizzle like this.
  12. Sajan

Sajan Member

What? Mini LED won't be better than OLED. Stop spreading bullsh**.

"CES 2021 is coming up soon but LG just couldn't wait to introduce the TV world's latest four-letter word. The manufacturer, best known for excellent OLED TVs like the CX series, is coming out with a new line of televisions called QNED. Based on the more-common LCD TV technology instead of OLED, QNED combines the benefits of its Nanocell technology with quantum dots for improved color, contrast and brightness according to LG.

QNED TVs will occupy the upper end of LG's 2021 LCD TV lineup but company representatives were careful to say they won't deliver the same level of picture quality as its OLED TVs. LG has not announced any new 2021 OLED TVs but is expected to do so closer to CES."

With a backlight, Mini-LED TVs can reach a higher peak brightness than an OLED TV is capable of, and as there is greater control over what portions of the screen are dark it's easier to achieve deeper blacks. That said, as there's still a backlight in the mix and the LEDs can't turn completely off as the self-emissive diodes in OLEDs can, it's doubtful they'll be able to produce quite the lights-off blacks OLEDs can.

13. Sajan

Sajan Member

[​IMG]

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice, yeah you should be fine, but some way to limit humidity when not using etc might be ideal.

I'm in Austin now so the humidity is bad... But not Houston bad. I also basically cycle an old TV out to the backyard once I upgrade an inside set etc and just reuse the mount I put outside. The most recent one is at about 2+ years outside and before that it was 3 years or so on the last one and it was replaced before any failure since we upgraded another set inside.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't spend good money on a new TV and put it outside (like my sets have held up but they were already used a lot inside before being moved outside) - I figured it was worth trying out and it's worked so far. I do know they sometimes advertise a tv that is water resistant etc but I think you'll be fine with a regular set.

Anyway, it's nice having the TV outside though, get togethers (when we had those precovid) are nice since you can keep the game on outside for yourself/guests. My kids even sometimes take their xbox or steam link outside to play games, but they don't leave the consoles outside.. We do leave a Roku connected to the set though and it has held up so far.

#234 CCity Zero, Dec 29, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    BamBam likes this.
  15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Was that fluff piece and a LG spokesperson comment without any technical analysis supposed to debunk my statement?

And funny you'd even highlight a completely guess-based statement like "it's doubtful they'll be able to produce quite the lights-off blacks OLEDs can.".

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

Why don't you post some technical analysis? Enlighten us..

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Guess it depends what you're looking for. Personally...the true blacks is precisely why I want an OLED.

Sajan likes this.
  18. donkeypunch

So what the hell did everyone do with their 50" projection tvs? Is there a tv heaven they all went to?

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Doomsday preppers made sun ovens with them.

20. donkeypunch

I watched some youtube videos on that. It was pretty neat.