1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Olajuwon vs. Duncan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by madmaxu, May 19, 2013.

?

Better player All-Time: Hakeem vs Duncan?

1. Duncan

57 vote(s)
    25.4%
  2. Hakeem

155 vote(s)
    69.2%
  3. Tie

12 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Hakeem had one year where he put up perhaps the greatest single player playoff performance ever

And we lost 3-1

This isn't tennis, it's a team sport

2. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Look, Duncan may not have been the best player, but he isn't a role/energy/bench guy either. The Spurs just won another championship and this is what we do, compare and compare. That team, I repeat, that team won. Parker could not win it by himself and I'm most certain Leonard could not win it by himself either.

3. verysimplejason

Winning changes everything...

4. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Hakeem would 8 peat and MJ no rings.:rolleyes:

5. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Hakeem is arguably the best C of all time.

Duncan is THE best PF of all time.

You can't go wrong with either of them.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with being 1b to the other's 1a.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hakeem's game is all flash and fundamentals

Duncan's game is boring and fundamental

But if you miss out on Hakeem, Duncan is second choice, but I will take Anthony Davis over Duncan right now.

He is modern player

7. OkayAyeReloaded

I'll jump in this one.

When you compare their team support and context Hakeem is the better individual player.

Duncan played with arguably the GOAT coach for his entire career, possibly better than Phil Jackson, Red Auerbach, possibly every one in NBA history. His ownership and GM were much better than Hakeem's career.

Ginobilli and Parker are going to be HOF players he played with during all their primes and peaks. Leonard might become a future all star player.

He had David Robinson to help guard the dominant era for centers, Sean elliot, Rodman at one point.

Hakeem also dominated every top player at his position during the playoffs with less help than any top 10 player. Hakeem's peak is much higher and so is his individual prime.

He was a better individual offensive player, defensive player and a better athlete than Duncan.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah but at the end of the days everyone remembers rings and titles.

Duncan has been more durable, more successful.
    Almost Robert Horry successful.

Hakeem might be better but less successful. I would still take him though but there is no denying that.

9. cloudng8

cloudng8 Contributing Member

Why are you comparing teams? This is an olajuwon vs Duncan thread, not a rockets vs spurs teams thread, in that case just give dream Duncan's teams and I believe he wins more.

10. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

I don't agree. Duncan's had the best CAREER, but is not the greatest PF. 2 different things

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Make no mistake about it, they would even sniff the finals with Duncan. However, Duncan had to go up against one legit center his whole career and Shaq dominated him.

Duncan didn't even have to go against an average big man in the finals or WCF. It's pretty pathetic how bad the center position has evolved.

12. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Don't forget Amare. Amare went ape chit against Duncan when he was in Phoenix one playoff

13. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

The question should be what would Olajuwon's career been like under Pop? Better than Duncan's I can tell you that.

14. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Duncan had the best career and is the greatest PF of all time. His individual stats puts him a head above shoulders compared to the all-time great PFs. The scary thing is....he's still going strong and winning rings.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Duncan has had the better career and he's definitely had a longer career of sustained excellence.

At their best, Olajuwon was the better player and would probably handle Duncan pretty well.

But, sustained excellence counts.

16. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

I agree, I think the big thing was maturity at a young age. It took a while for Dream to grow up (28) and Duncan was mature mentally by 22.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Hakeem was obviously the superior athlete, and had a higher peak as an individual performer.

I give Duncan an edge as a team player who makes the players around him better.

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Kenny Smith always said it the best...Hakeem was the first big ever to incorporate guard moves in the post...This is what makes Hakeem the better individual player... He was, is and will be the most fluid big man in the game.

Duncan's sustained level of success comes from 1. lack of prolonged injuries, 2. being part of system that evolved from having him as the focal point, then transitioning to the perimeter with Parker and Ginobli, 3. superior level coaching that maximized each players strengths and minimized weaknesses.

When comparing them as athelete's, Dream is far more superior...

When comparing NBA historical relevance based on career stats and titles, Duncan is far more accomplished. Infact, in my eyes he would be the greatest PF of all time.

19. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Tim Duncan career stats:
    19.9pts Reb11.1 FG%.506
    (Playoff)
    21.3pts Reb11.7 FG%.500

Charles Barkley Career stats:
    22.1pts Reb11.7 FG%.541
    (Playoff)
    23.0pts Reb12.9 FG%.513

Karl Malone Career Stats:

25.0pts Rebs10.1 FG%.516
    (Playoffs)
    24.7pts Rebs10.7 FG%.463

20. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

I love dream but all this talk about Duncan not coming close is a joke. I give dream the edge between the two, but lets not make Duncan out to be a scrub.