1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Olajuwon vs. Duncan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by madmaxu, May 19, 2013.

?

Better player All-Time: Hakeem vs Duncan?

1. Duncan

57 vote(s)
    25.4%
  2. Hakeem

155 vote(s)
    69.2%
  3. Tie

12 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. FearTheBeardJH

Hakeem scored more than 22 points once at 37 whole season, Duncan did it twice in back to back games in NBA finals.

Duncan had and has skills that are easier to build a team around. Hakeem couldn't pass and that's why some of you still cry because Seattle shut him down everytime. Duncan could get the ball in the post and score 1v1 or score in the PnR. Duncan always had the sense of when to take the shot or divert. Hakeem didn't really have that sense. They are both terrific but Duncan was better.

2. StevieCrossover

Whoops, I voted the wrong person. Its obvious that Hakeem the dream was the better player. When centers fall for the dream shake over and over again, that just starts to look embarrassing. Duncan is very solid though.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

A 37 year old Hakeem was an injury riddled Hakeem. If thats the measuring stick you need to use to give it to Duncan, then you are grasping at straws.

Hakeem didnt have Pops prolonging his career by resting him during regular season either. Duncan has had that luxury the last few years because he has talent on the team to get it done during the regular season and a coach that understands this.

And that is typical Duncan, by the way. You look at the stats and he got his numbers where was he in the last minutes of the game? Pops still had Parker and a turnover prone Manu running the offense.

The more you talk, the clearer it gets you have never watched Hakeem play.

Look up Hakeem's numbers against Seattle in the playoffs. He has had huge numbers agianst Sonics in the playoffs. Karl took advantage of no offensive creator on Rockets other than Hakeem. He triple teamed Hakeem as soon as he got the ball and made Hakeem pass. The problem with the Rockets was that they had no one else being able to penetrate the defense and were too hesitant to take the early open three, which Sonics gladly gave them.

Not always, which is the primary reason I have him below Hakeem. I have seen Duncan struggle one on one against

1) David West
    2) Wallaces
    3) Pau Gasol
    4) An old and decrepit Malone
    5) Shaq

Spurs could have won more playoff series had Duncan not stuggled against these guys. He can thank Manu and Parker for carrying the offense aginst the Pistons as well, a final series in which he struggled.

Hakeem has dominated bigger men of higher quality. As a second year player he was dominating against the Celtics and Lakers (two of the greatest teams with one of the best front court in NBA history). He has dominated Patrick Ewing in the Finals. He has dominated David Robinson, the MVP. He has bestd Charles Barkley and Karl Malone, two of the three best PFs to ever play the game. He has gone entire series against Shaq one-on-one in he Finals. Duncan has struggled at times against big men of inferior quality to what Hakeem has faced. Heck, Hakeem dominated a prime Karl Malone while an old Malone on the Lakers gave Duncan fits. That is not even debatable. Its caught on camera.

And Duncan can score on pick and roll. Whoop dee daa... A lot of good big men can score on pick and roll including Hakeem. Is that supposed to impress me???

Wish he hadnt diverted in some of the above mentioned matchups. His team was looking for him to dominate those matchups.

Nope. Having watched both of the players throughout their careers (unlike you), I dont see any evidence of such.

Players who have played with both disagree with you as well.

#463 Zboy, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  4. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

There is so much wrong with this post I don't know where to start.

I'll just bring up ONE series, that may address most of this idiotic and ridiculous TROLLING ASS post of this fake Rocket fan.

Playoffs. 1993. Versus SEATTLE.

Dream averaged 23.2 points, 12.7 rebounds, 4.7 ASSISTS (can't pass?), 1.7 steals and 4.3 blocks - on 52% shooting - against George Karl's illegal (at the time) defenses.

Yes, Seattle gave us a lot of trouble (which is the main reason we made the Barkley trade) and they were EXCELLENT defensively (albeit a lot of it was illegal at the time).

But, your post shows your ignorance regarding these two great players.

Duncan - great.

Dream - greatER. (just ask those that played with or against both)

I look forward to you getting banned due to your trollin' nonsense.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He calls that Hakeem being shut down.

Like I said, it is clear he has never watched Hakeem play.

6. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

lol...sorry... didn't see your post 'til after I posted.

We obviously both thought the same thing immediately.

I didn't really like the Barkley trade (of course I didn't like the trade for Clyde either...so what do I know...lol).

But, man... I'll never forget the first game vs. Seattle after we got Barkley.

We pulled out a close game, with Barkley posting up on the opposite block. I was living in Atlanta at the time and obviously on east coast time, having to watch the game in a sports bar, where I watched all the Rockets games back then.

I went NUTS, like we'd won the championship again, going crazy in an Atlanta sports bar, over an early season NBA game.... looked like an idiot, I'm sure.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Zboy,

There are alot of these type of posters now. Yet they think they are experts.

8. OTMax

OTMax Member

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on these guys at 37 years old, Duncan is still a monster yet Dream was a shell of what he used to be. After his injury in 1997 / 1998, he was never the same. He became a little fat, wasn't used in the post anymore and couldn't really jump. It's a shame he went out like that. I'm currently watching a 2000-2001 game vs. Denver and boy it's sad to see him being used at the 3pt line to pass it. He belonged in the post!:( Duncan still owns the paint and that's just amazing at his age.

9. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

I agree, which is why I said the most remarkable thing about Duncan is his longevity and consistency.

Still, it amazes me that some people continue to point to this as a "reason" for Duncan being as good or better.

It's obvious players are playing longer and more effectively now than in the past. It's in every sport, most notably boxing. It's a testament to athletes having personal trainers and just overall improved knowledge where nutrition and conditioning are concerned. (not to mention Dream was "RODE HARD" while Duncan's minutes were preserved big time by Pop).

But, does this mean Duncan was "BETTER" than Dream? Absolutely not. That is laughable to me.

10. OTMax

OTMax Member

True. To me it shouldn't even be a discussion because Duncan is a PF and Dream a C. Actually by trying to argue or say one is better than the other takes away how great both guys really are. It's the same with MJ vs. Lebron, both great but in comparison you sell both short.

11. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Dude STFU... Hakeem > Duncan any day of the week.

12. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

I hate the comparisons also.

But, when people try to compare LeBron or Kobe to MJ, it too is laughable to me.

LeBron is GREAT. I love his game. Best player in the league by far - and will go down as an all-time great.

But, he was a missed Ray Allen three (or a Spurs offensive rebound) away from being 1-3 in the Finals.

What Jordan did was unbelievable. He is the ONLY player I've ever seen that was as dominant (or moreso) on both ends of the floor. His ability to WILL himself and team to victory was unparalleled.

LeBron is a ONE THIRD of the way to six rings. Their games are totally different, so in that respect I agree that comparing is just wrong. But, it is what the media does now days.

I don't buy into the "x" number of rings means someone is better. But, I DO buy into what that player did in the playoffs and when it mattered most. Jordan separated himself from most with that. Not just the six rings. But, HOW he got those rings. By being far and away the best player on the court each and every time. LeBron's rebounding abilities may be the only thing that he does better than MJ. (Yes, I know he's a great passer, but so was Jordan).

Jordan and Dream were the best I've ever seen at getting a bucket when everyone knew what was coming. No matter what the opponent did, they still couldn't be stopped. LeBron doesn't have "that".

1 person likes this.
  13. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Meant to say as dominant "as Dream"....

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

Repped! I totally agree, especially the part about forcing their will on the game and being able to get a bucket, even when you knew it was coming indeed. Just unstoppable at all times, Lebron is not there (yet).

15. FearTheBeardJH

Duncan was ahead of Hakeem for at least 4 years, but now he can only be compared MJ, Kareem and Russell.

16. deshen

deshen Member

Stats are very similar for both players. Duncan played more playoff games and brings his team more wins.

17. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

The Dream is one of THE best Centers ever but The Big Fundamental now has 5 championships in his resume. Five.

I rest my case on this matter.

18. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

With all we know about Hakeem (hunger to win, sublime skill set, utter killer instinct, unmatched two-way play, jaw dropping crunch-time ability) and place him in Duncan's position who has been blessed with great rosters, great coaching, great systems, great FO year in year out...

Hakeem would be playing and winning 6 - 10 championships in his career.

1 person likes this.
  19. cloudng8

cloudng8 Contributing Member

He may have five rings, but he wasn't even the best player on those teams the 07 and this years finals. Parker and Leonard won the finals MVPs over him. Robert Horry has 7 rings, so I guess he better then Duncan and dream by your logic.

1 person likes this.
  20. JazzLakerHater

I still think Hakeem is the slightly the better player, but Duncan has clearly had the better career.