1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Olajuwon to Toronto rumor on Sports 610...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swami, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Swami

Swami Member

Lance Z said on this mornings Sports-Talk show that he had heard a rumor that Toronto had offered Dream a 10.5 mill contract to play for the Raptors this year. Lance said it wasn't part of a sign and trade deal, just a straight up contract offer to the Dream as a free agent. Did anyone else hear that? It doesn't make sense to me for Toronto after they just spent big bucks to resign Antonio Davis et al. Does anyone know how much cap room Toronto has to work with? Could they actually have offered Dream 10.5? What is it with those stinkers in Toronto trying to steal the Rockets free agents every year?

------------------

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

They have nowhere near that much cap room. It would have to be a sign and trade.

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

The Cat is correct. Toronto had $31M committed before they agreed to the terms with Antonio Davis. It can't happen without a S&T. Only way the statement is true is if they are referring to a time period before AD's agreement.

Why don't people with so much public exposure do their homework?

------------------
    Raef to Rocks in '01-'02!

4. Old School

Old School Member

Yet another example of talk show hosts throwing a bunch of stuff out there hoping it sticks.

Old School

------------------
    I voted YES!

5. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

To Lance's defense he did say that he wasn't sure if it could work under the salary caps. And he went on to explain that this came from a pretty reliable source, though it was 3rd hand information.

------------------
    Keep Mo Ta & now we have Ta Mo

6. Swami

Swami Member

Thanks guys, that is what I suspected about Toronto's lack of cap space. I'd have thought Lance would have known that wasn't a realistic rumor possibility, unless I just completely misunderstood what he said. Nonetheless, it sobered me up a little to think about loosing Dream without getting anything in return. We could be hurting in the middle. No wonder we are still in limbo.

------------------

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Toronto could have offered 9.5 mil for 2 seasons (4.5 mil the 1st and then a 10% raise)... Seeing as how Dream's seeking a two-year deal, maybe that was the offer.

------------------
    I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip that I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

There is one outside possibility where this could work, but it would put the Raptors so close to the Luxury tax they would have real problems when they went to re-sign Vince Carter.

I think it is possible that if the Raptors signed Olajuwon first, they would then be allowed to exceed their cap to sign Davis, Alvin Williams & JYD all of whom (according to RealGM) have full Bird rights.

In this scenario, Carters' next contract would like take them over the LT, making Carter a huge expense for Toronto. Losing Alvin Williams to the Bulls lessens the $ hit, but not much.

It might be possible to sign Dream outright, but not very fiscally sound. Anyone here interested in Keon Clark?

------------------
    Raef to Rocks in '01-'02!

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited July 18, 2001).]

9. Swami

Swami Member

Keon Clark....yea baby! [​IMG] He has hops, and can really fly down the court on the fast break. Like alot of younger players he could add some strength, but I love his potential. He and Eddie Griffin would be a really nasty pair of shot blockers under the new zone defense rules!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Swami (edited July 18, 2001).]

10. steviefranchise

SWAMI

I totaly agree....Clark and Griffin on the Rockets....geez...the other team would be lucky to get off a 15 footer. Calrk is an AMAZING athelte....he can jump through the roof. Most importantly....unlike cato...HE GIVES A D*MN!!!!!!!

He tries hard. Now...all of that being said...he has a weak shot and needs to work on that but he is young....and...I don't see him being traded to us anytime soon, but would love to see him here instead of lazy *ss cato

------------------

11. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I heard the proposed trade would be Wally Szczerbiak, Jonathon Bender, Doug Christie and Kevin Willis, for Olajawon. My scoop might be a little dated, though.

------------------

12. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So who would get Hakeem - Denver, Minnesota, Sacramento or Indiana???

------------------

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I guess my jokes aren't that funny if I have to explain them. All I hear are crickets.

------------------

14. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

If Rockets' management ever turns down Wally S., Bender, Christie, and Willis for Olajuwon, they should be fired on the spot.

------------------

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Fox 26 Sports said two years ago Toronto inquired about Dream. Who did they offer?

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited July 18, 2001).]

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So,we match that 2 year offer...sounds like a good deal to me....or pay him 11-12 over that time..still a bargain,giving us the flexibility to perhaps pull off something interesting...and Joe,don't worry,you'll always be funny.

------------------
    Everybody has a little bit of Watergate in em - Billy Graham

[This message has been edited by hardwood (edited July 18, 2001).]

17. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Clark and Griffin on the same team! I'll definitely take that deal.Would'nt you? [​IMG]

------------------
    Rudy T. will find and fulfill Rockets destiny.

18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

JBC - I remember the trade RT decided against. In retrospect...

------------------

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Actually, the trade proposal two years ago was Kevin Willis, Doug Christie, the #5 pick and the #12 pick for Hakeem. The #5 pick turned out to be Jonathan Bender; the 12th pick, Alexander Radajovic. However, the Rockets would have likely taken Szczerbiak with that #5 pick. No telling who would have gone #12 for the Rockets.

If Hakeem ends up going to Toronto, I'm gonna be pretty pissed about not making that deal.

------------------

20. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

5 could have been Marion too. [​IMG]