1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oladipo: Our better days are ahead. Everyone just stay patient.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

What? It's a bad contract which is too much, but you claim Tilman's cheap? lol

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...cially-signs-contract-extension-with-rockets/

"The final season of Gordon’s contract, at $20.9 million, is not guaranteed unless the Rockets win an NBA championship or Gordon is an All-Star."

Morey does/did all the player signings.

sirjesse likes this.
  2. Sanity2disChaos

Exactly. Gordon has to be packaged with Tuck hopefully for a legit #3 guy. Don’t think they would fetch us a number one guy!!

But you are right. I think there is hope for this team if Dipo and Wood buys in.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Just to be clear, I am not convinced they want to trade him at this point. I just think it would be smarter to trade him for draft picks. He is a solid player, I just don't think he is the type of player the Rockets should commit a lot of cap space to long term and the more assets the Rockets have, the easier it will be to move up in the draft or trade for a young player that becomes available.

joshuaao, DCHAMP and saleem like this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Oladipo wants the max. So you're suggesting we pay the max to Wall, Oladipo, $18 million to Wood, then acquire another good-to-great player who will be expensive?

I suggest you search CF for "tilman broke af" to better familiarize yourself with our owner.

Little Bit, GotGame15 and vlaurelio like this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Better days ahead. For HIM. Because he's going to Miami to actually win. Dog days for us. Congrats.

6. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Like Stone said in the presser the other day, this gives Houston an opportunity to get a free look of VO for the next two months. If I had to guess I would assume that both parties are at the very least optimistic (Oladipo and the Rockets). Let's assume for whatever plethora of reasons Houston decided their best option was to trade Victor. My question is what's a reasonable trade scenario for us flipping VO at the deadline? 1 FRP, 2 FRP, 1 FRP and 1 SRP? Thoughts anyone?

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I think this team is significantly better than the Heat pre-Buter.

Bam hadn't really broken out yet.

They had a bunch of guys on these 15-20 million dollar contracts and an overpaid Whiteside.

I don't think a team with John Wall healthy and Christian Wood continuing to get comfortable could end up the worst team in the NBA (we'll see) and I don't think his contract his super-movable. This year has always been about him staying healthy. The years after will be about him winning for him. I think Wood, Oladipo and Wall could form some chemistry and be a top 4 seed in this in-between stage. They need a rotational level SF and a PF long term (maybe Tate is the 4?)

There is a benefit to not helping the Heat get too much better this year. It ensures our own draft pick stays here. The way the Heat are playing, I wouldn't be surprised if both teams end up around the 8th seed when it's all said and done. The only way I'd trade Oladipo to them is if A) he said he wouldn't sign here B) The Heat would give up Herro. Otherwise, a SNT still may be the move to Miami in the offseason with a similar return (no Herro and probably headlined by salary, Achiuwa and a pick).

joshuaao and Ramo$e like this.
  8. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

couldnt agree more..while oladipo is nice in the short term, likelihood of being a contender with him is very slim..rther get the draft capital and maintain cap room

9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

To y'all saying this...have you actually watched the Heat this year?

treyk3 likes this.
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

That in itself is kind of a sign. Dig an early hole in the west and its curtains.

11. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Walls contract is going to hamper this team ability to be flexible. This guy availability is already in question.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Don't have to. Real GM, real coach, real owner, real star player.

13. Caesar

Caesar Member

You make it sound like were just now watching for the first time and immediately expect a contender. No. We've already been enduring the process. Failure after failure of attempts and now were about to start another decade long "process." Same thing with the Texans. That's just typical Houston fair-weather fan talk. Always accepting mediocrity. "Hey guys! There's always next year! LETS GO TEAM!" There's a reason most championship cities sports fans are assholes. They don't accept mediocrity. "Good job! Good effort! I'm going to run out and purchase a $100 Oladipo jersey to support our team and donate it after he leaves in a few months. It's all part of the fun process! Take my money Tilly!! You need it more than i do."

14. Houston77

Supporting Member

Who's their "real star" player? Butler? Because he's averaged 15 points and missed five games.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh, SNAP. Shiettt. He must suck then! He's trash. Lulz. Enjoy more Rockets losses and lowered expectations. But hot dog sales are UP UP UP! NEXT

16. Nook

Nook Member

Assuming the Rockets make the decision to trade Oladipo, they can expect to receive expiring contracts and a #1 pick if he is healthy and playing well.

There is an off chance that a team with contracts spilling into next year, but is a contender may decide to give a couple #1 first if the Rockets take on a contract that bleeds into next season. A lot of it was circumstantial depending on what is going on.

Oladipo doesn't have more value because he is expiring, has made it clear he has a preference for a particular team and has an injury situation.

17. Houston77

Supporting Member

Enjoy rooting for other mediocre franchises and washed-up stars.

18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Ultimately, I don't mind starting with Oladipo/Wood to build around but getting Wall, Gordon, House out of the way is a tough sell anyway but trying to pump their value while simultaneously tanking is counterproductive at best. The answer of what happens with Harden finally got answered, idk why I guess I felt like there would be some sense of clarity with the team going forward and there really isn't. We can say, we knew the direction, the destination all that with Harden... but we had a direction and a destination, even if it was 2nd round/conference finals at best. We don't have a direction now, we have a collection of image, injury and game rehabilitation players and a slowly more pressing need to decide what to do with them.

19. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Dipo good, Harden bad

Sep

20. solodolo11

solodolo11 Member

Oladipo is saying all the right things while on the way to Miami lol