1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oladipo..............Not seeing it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jiggyfly, Jan 27, 2021.

1. bmelo

bmelo Member

I cringed hard at that bounce pass. Like bro first off bounce pass was bad option since House already was ahead of him in terms of tempo of the play and the pass pocket was hella small between defenders, and then you bounce it and not even curve it towards his running line but just simple 10 year old bounce pass straight to his knees. I literally jumped out my bed and said gtfo Victor. On the other play Boogie who is post Achilles tear center did PERFECT curved bounce pass to Tate, right on the timing, spot and direction... Victor is great 3 and d, but he needs to play within his **** and not act like superstar.

D-rock, gfab-babyboi and hakeem94 like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and this guy was an allstar.... man nba is crap

3. bmelo

bmelo Member

Allstars dont mean anything at this point just popularity contest. Mike Conley is head and shoulders above Oladipo in terms of everything but he never made it i think

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Oladipo was a very good player who deserved all star status before he got badly injured. He has lost all his speed and explosiveness.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

East All Star

There was a difference back then.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

“It’s really different,” Oladipo said. “Being traded in the middle of the year is different. It’s an adjustment. It’s nothing I can’t handle. I just have to go out there and have the same approach, same mindset every night, just go out there and have fun, play as hard as I can on both ends of the floor. Everything else will take care of itself.”

In addition to the normal challenges of changing teams during the season, this season comes with a compressed schedule that leaves little practice time and with the Rockets' lineup changing often because of injuries and other absences, potential factors in his misfiring on his shots in the past few weeks.

“Everything’s different,” Oladipo said. “The circumstance of this team, it’ll be different pretty much all year. I've got to constantly adjust. Just got to keep playing hard, just go out there and be aggressive and everything else will take care of itself.

“Adjusting to being at the point, not being at the point, certain guys out, certain guys in, the places where my spots are going to be,” Oladipo said. “At the end of the day, I have to have the same mentality. That’s what I’m going to do, just keep playing hard every night.”

“He’s definitely still learning and I need to make sure that he is put in the best position and things need to come to him at times,” Rockets coach Stephen Silas said Saturday after Oladipo went 4 of 14 in a loss to the Spurs. “John (Wall) does a great job making sure everybody is getting the ball and make sure we’re able to attack and guys are playing to their strengths. But when it’s my turn to make the play calls, I need to do a good job of making sure Victor is in the action.”

Less certain is whether Oladipo will be in the game at all Tuesday. Oladipo has not played in both games in back-to-backs this season, his first full season since coming back from a severe quad injury.

“We’ll see after this game," Oladipo said. "Just trying to be smart about my situation. Obviously, my injury was very, very different. Just trying to be smart about it, just see what happens when the time comes.”

With the Rockets in a stretch of five games in seven days, having starting guards in and out of the lineup, along with the injury to Christian Wood, has made making the adjustments needed more difficult. But there is also never a long wait for the next game’s chance to turn things around.

“Definitely, it’s important to bounce back from losses,” Oladipo said. “Obviously, it’s tough with Christian (out) but unfortunately, things like that happens in this game. Everybody has to step up and be ready to play. We have to come out and take care of business on both ends of the floor.”

7. st012m

st012m Member

His defense is there and sound. He's not getting a ton of steals and whatnot but he's playing fundamentally good perimeter defense and pressuring backcourts. His shot selection is not there though. Even when he goes for his preferred floaters, etc. that I've seen even in his latest (not peak performance) Dipo games in Indiana. For some reason, he's not assertive with moves that are traditionally his. His lack of lobbing ability (I think I read somewhere that he only had TWO successful lobs before joining the Rockets...mind you he had Myles Turner on his team that entire time...)... is concerning for a team that has Wood as a focal point. The shot selection and inability to make good reads in our system are the most concerning to me. Defensively, I really like him and think that based on his reactions of disappointment in himself even he knows he can get better there but so far so good.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  8. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Don’t shoot the messenger here, but the best alley ooper on the team is Dante Exum. He deserves a legit shot when he comes back from injury.

s3ts and D-rock like this.
  9. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

10. bmelo

bmelo Member

I forgot we got him lol

11. st012m

st012m Member

How about $25.5m/year? lmao. Just kidding. In all seriousness, it's in our best interest that he plays up his value from here to the trade deadline and potentially beyond whether we choose to resign him because he suddenly finds his old self (seem unlikely) or to trade him in the immediate future for assets. Either way, his value can only go up and selling right now would not be ideal IMO. I see him bouncing back once he's settled. It's been about ten games and these things take time. I hope he hits a rhythm. He's been really erratic with his shot selection and his efficiency reflects that. I love his effort on D and think it can get better in the system.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Aaron Gordon is better playmaker than Dipo.

Better rebounder too.

And finisher.

And he would play starting 4 or small ball 5.

AG fits our needs better than Dipo.

Especially if Porter plays even as close to as good as he did his rook season with Cavs.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I like Gordan, but you won’t get him for dipo. IMO we will have to add at least 2 FRP to get him. I’m ok with that for the highly protected ones.

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Aaron Gordon is a 6'8" traditional 3/4. He's not going to play center. He's averaging 2.5 assists in his career, so his great playmaking seems a bit of hyperbole. He's a great dunker and a bad shooter. I'm gonna pass on trading a couple FRPs and Oladipo, who is himself worth at least one FRP, for him.

DCkid likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Dipo is 2× All Star and fits Magic need for more scoring without giving up defense.

Unlike the Rockets, Magic are DEEP and talented at 4/5.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

No one is advocating for AG to START at center.

But Aaron Gordon is more than capable of playing small ball 5 when Rockets unless their HOUnds switch everything line up.

Looking at his career assists instead of THIS season's assist average (almost 4.5 assists) when he has only been playing point forward his last 10 games is inane.

AG has averaged over 6 assists a game since becoming Magic point forward.

Small sample size but much more accurate than utilizing career assist averages.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

18. st012m

st012m Member

I haven't studied Aaron Gordon too much up-close besides taking my daughter to watch Kyrie's awful movie lol. I'll study a bit since he seems to be a viable option if circumstances present itself.

D-rock likes this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m not gonna read through this thread, but I just know there had to be people killing OP for this thread...they’re eating a big L right now

steddinotayto, luckyman76 and D-rock like this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I think he needs to go, we have enough players that make up for his type of skills.

DD

luckyman76, sydmill and Richie_Rich like this.