1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oladipo..............Not seeing it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jiggyfly, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Mr. Space City

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

I do not want to be the team paying Oladipo his next contract

move him at the deadline for whatever u can get

3. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

1000%. We need to package Gordon and Exum or Tucker or other filler to GSW for Wiggins+Minn pick and send Dipo to NYK for Dallas pick. I wouldn't be against seeing if we could package Tucker and Exum and something to Orlando for Gordon. We need to get younger with more options FAST. EGo right now is a positive contract, Dipo right now still has max value, Tucker is valuable. We can deal with Wall/Wiggins in 2022 trade deadline. We need to maximize our assets. This team is not winning this year or next. We need to get what we can get and develop the team from the ground up. We have good young pieces here if we show some damn patience.

ilias likes this.
  4. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Oladipo is a glorified role player tbh. He would never make the all-star team in the West.

He's amazing at what he does when he's playing within his own limits, defense and creating his own shots (when they're falling). I don't think he can ever be your #1 option on a championship team.

I just hope Stone isn't going to pay this guy the supermax. I know we're having fun watching our guys this year but our ultimate goal should do a great rebuild and win a championship.

Emtenndo, jiggyfly, kevtse and 6 others like this.
  5. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

That injury really ended his career as an allstar level player. Some nights he’ll give you a lukewarm 20 points and others he’ll just be another eric gordon

6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He’s a nice player and you can win with him, but he’s not a max level guy and can’t carry a team. He will easily get you another first at the deadline, and that’s probably what needs to happen. I like the guy, but my gut tells me that he thinks he’s worth more than what he really is.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

EGo has outplayed Dipo the last 2 games.

kevtse, saleem and RedRedemption like this.
  8. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Trade him. He’s not even top 3 on the squad. Plus you can’t have a Mac backcourt that can’t play back to back or heavy minutes. What’s goin happen in the postseason

kevtse and RedRedemption like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

he plays like last year’s EG if he had more shot attempts...he is really hard to watch

he is currently averaging 21 points on 20 shots shooting 40% from the field and 31% from 3

his TS% has been way below average every single year of his career except for the 17-18 season, and he’s no longer the player he was that 1st year in Indy where he was barely All-Star caliber to begin with

if anyone wants to re-sign Dipo to a long-term deal, they are crazy

Rockets better move this dude before they make a big mistake

12. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

If he’s willing to take 22 million a year keep him. Otherwise dump his a$& for whatever we can get. He’s the third best player on the team. No worries....one thing Tilman is good at is not overspending!!!

13. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

hes worth about 13 million a year. he's not even a number three guy. like a number four or five in the west. damaged goods.

mac_got_this likes this.
  14. BreakYoSelfFool

Its pretty easy to criticize Victor Oladipo and say he is not an all-star and should not make $32 mil. I think everyone is in agreement that 32 mil is too much for Oladipo at his current playing level. But he is not making $32 mil right now, he's making half as much as our highest paid player. I don't know how much Oladipo will make next year, but seems like a lot of people are assuming he gets some massive deal. What happens if he gets extended for his current salary or less? Stranger things have happened.

I'm not against keeping him for the right price or trading him for a favorable return. I keep seeing trade him, trade him; however, I don't know that we can really trade him for an upgrade right now, and no one has any answers on who is available that we could trade him for. Maybe it is just people venting that we no longer have a top 10 player on our squad, but even after trading him we probably wouldn't have a top 10 player either.

Oladipo is not an all-star level player this year, but all-star level is pretty high for guards. Ja Morant and Donovan Mitchel might not even make it in the West. If we couldn't get a legit all-star when we traded Harden, what can we expect from an Oladipo trade? If there are real trade options out there name names! I know most wont because anyone they name will probably have many of the same issues as Oladipo.

Inquiring mind: Would you trade Oladipo for Jamaal Murray?
    Clutchfans: Of course he is a star!
    Inquiring mind: But not an All-star right?
    Clutchfans: Not yet, but he definitely is on the path. He was All-Bubble and put up 23, 6,and 4 for 23 games
    Inquiring mind: How do we know Oladipo is not on the path? Before injury he was 2 time All-Star, All-Defense 1st team, and All-NBA 3rd team averaging 23/5/4 for 75 games.
    Clutchfans: Look at his numbers for this season, he will never return to even that level much less play any better than that.
    Inquiring mind: But Murray's numbers this season are not better than Oladipo's, and Oladipo is less than 40 games returned from a major injury.
    Clutchfans: But Oladipo will get the max and is not worth it!!!!
    Inquiring mind: Have you seen Murray's contract?

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

u forgot to add in the part where Jamal Murray is 5 years younger and locked into a contract until 2025 where he will be in the middle of his prime and Dipo will be making similar money while we have him for his over age 30 seasons

there’s a reason Victor Oladipo would never bring back a Jamal Murray in a trade...

I don’t see how what u said is a good example of anything

16. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

100%. I think it's inarguable right now that EG is the better player in every way, which is amazing when you think about it. The good thing is that there are teams interested in Dipo and the market seems to be decent for a player who is averaging over 20/game and has been an all-star.

At this point, I'd be open to trading him for picks, though it would be better of course to get a young piece back but I'm not sure who would part with a young promising player unless we tacked on picks to Dipo, and maybe that's the play, to trade away one or two of our first rounders for the upcoming draft (the bucks and nets will have late picks anyways) along with Dipo for a player like Levine. That would be the type of trade I'd be interested in right now.

MarioKissoDeath and jiggyfly like this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

This is a FACT! It's alarming to say the least. This is decreasing his potential trade value. I believe his contract should be allowed to expire, if there is nothing worth while to gain by trading Oladipo.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I don’t think the Rockets master plan for Oladipo was ever anything other than flipping him for draft picks or, more likely, letting him walk after the season for cost savings. He’s an expiring contract, and that’s probably all he was ever meant to be for this team.

slothy420 and saleem like this.
  19. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Good post, I never knew this. I don't know why but I always had this idea that he was above average efficiency, like a mid-high 50s guy. If the way he's been playing in Houston so far is only slightly below his norm, which it seems like it is...not a fan. At least his defense is encouraging. But we can't have him taking the most shots on our team. He's been taking 20 shots a game in Houston, I think that number should be more like 10. Give more of his shots to Wood, and maybe he can try to be more of a facilitator.

D-rock likes this.
  20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

if he wants the bag hes going to have to fix this efficiency issue. we can't keep giving this guy 10 extra shots to get 5 points.

D-rock and harold bingo like this.