1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OKC's Westbrook ft. Paul George & Carmelo

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr. Dominant, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Most people on the internet who say they watched wilt are lying. He was before most of our time

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Watching Wilt won't improve the quality of competition he faced. Can you imagine players like Shaq, Olajuwon, or Kareem getting to beat up on the scrub competition Wilt faced for nearly his entire career? The quality of competition in the NBA back then was worse than it is currently in China or the G league....which is understandable because the NBA was in its infancy.

3. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

This thread always reminds me that Portland wouldn't have done anything more even with the addition of Melo. OKC is roughly the same in record as this point last year.

So we'd still stand ahead of the blazers even with a "big 4". Foolish fools not fooling anyone.

4. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

That doesn't change the fact that he was a 7 footer with a crazy vertical, longer arms and bigger hands than Shaq, and won the high jump nationally at Kansas, you put that in the NBA today and you have the ultimate P&R threat along with the best defender in the league, the man regularly got above 20 blocks in a single game, he even blocked prime Kareem's skyhook at 36.

Red.Glare likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You put him in the NBA today, and he's in the G league learning how to play. Don't let him beating up on YMCA quality opponents fool you.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

With modern physical training (and HGH) he would be Rudy Gobert with Diwght Howard's athleticism.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Or he'd be a slightly taller Christian Wood or the next Damian Jones

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

He'd be an all star from his athleticism alone, you are hilariously selling him short.

Yao Ming averaged 30 a game in a shitty china league, Wilt averaged 50 in a league that even back then could smoke today's china league.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

You are as wrong as wrong can be. Stubborn or silly? Just argumentative? Ridiculous.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The league is very different now, he could manage the offense of DeAndre Jordan so long as there was a good enough player setting him up with lobs but given that his first priority was never fouling out and his second priority was padding his own stats, I'm not sure he'd stick on an NBA roster.

He's arguably the most overrated player in the history of the league. Sure he dominated the league's infancy, but that's not as impressive as some seem to think it is. It's the same reason why if I was talking about the best hitters in baseball history I wouldn't be talking about Cap Anson. Him having 12 seasons at or above a .400 batting average might seem impressive if you ignore the quality of competition....I don't ignore such things.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

This ends any possible discussion on this.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Right, understood. But some of us are old fogies who somehow remembers days before the internet exploded. I even remember using rotary phones, nickles for phone booths and didn't miss party lines by all that much. Dadgum, I am old...

hakeem94 and fba34 like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough. I think we just have a fundamental disagreement when it comes to the quality of the league back then. I'm not sure one of the all star teams from 1962 would win the NIT tournament if they entered it today.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

So great to have cp3 kicking ass. We are so much better when he and harden both play

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

At an avg age of 77 or so, likely not...

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, I mean if you had the time machine option and they were the same age they were that year. People fetishize the past but the quality was objectively worse back then. Take any winning SB team from the first 10 SB's using a time machine and put them against the Cleveland Browns today and they get stomped out by 70 points or more. That's just how it is. The "murderers row" Yankees would be the worst team in baseball if they played now.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. BackdoorHarden

how old are you?

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Clippers are now done, thanks to Utah. After tonight, we'll find out if the Nuggets still have a realistic chance of pushing out the Pels.

19. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

We still like having you around grandpa

hakeem94 and xiki like this.
  20. Jontro

Jontro Member

we need to give the w to okc in this next game and hope wolves and spurs win, so they can get worriers in the first round for teh lelz.