1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OKC is the Future? OKC vs Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sengoat28, Apr 13, 2023.

1. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Idk how, but they'll **** it up somehow..

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

OKC seems fine, but let's not anoint them the kings of the future after a single play in game. Let's also not compare year 5 of SGA to year 2 of Jalen Green. Their stat lines in their 2nd year aren't all that dissimilar(and Green is younger). I think Jalen Williams is the biggest draft get from OKC's standpoint - he's been way better than expected - great value....but OKC's run with young talent and future draft picks isn't without peril. Having a lot of talent and only 5 guys on the court at a time means some of those young guys just aren't going to get the time to develop (Poku for instance) and once you gotta start paying these guys(inside the next two years), they are starting to loose flexibility and lock into direction so choose wisely.

I think OKC will be a FA player over the next two years(maybe one larger 4 year deal this year) and then they are locked into their future because Giddey's extension is in two years, and Holmgren the following year. All those future 1st round picks are tricky because let's say you grab a young star - where do you free up minutes if you are starting to pay guys $25mil+ to be starters on your team?

...and by the way, all of this also applies to Houston. We just have less of a clear cut "path" because we don't have a guy as far along as SGA(who again, is much older than our players) but that path to who is best to build around in Houston is still murky and likely will be impacted by our draft position this year.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think the real comparison would be.

Mickey Mouse Land and Pacers Yellow submarine

Vs Light the Fuse, What's with the Ruse, Trying to Lose?

[​IMG]

4. sydmill

sydmill Member

OKC is going to have problems keeping that team together once guys start hitting free agency.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's not really a knock. That just means you're doing something right and with good teams that rebuild the right way it will always happen. You worry about things like that when you get there and by then a lot will already be determined

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

That was an ownership thing. They didn't want to pay him.

Nook likes this.
  7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

that’s a good problem to have. I’ll take that problem ;)

AroundTheWorld and daywalker02 like this.
  8. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'd take OKC's situation over ours for sure. Both teams have bright futures if the front offices don't f*** it up though.

javal_lon likes this.
  9. Caesar

Caesar Member

They better draft well. Its their only hope. To win one with young drafted players because no one wants to stay in bum **** okc or sign there.

Ren ason likes this.
  10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t outside of SGA. This is how I would rank the top players on the 2 teams when taking into account potential:

SGA
    Jalen Green
    Jabari
    Sengun
    Giddy
    Chet
    KPJ
    Dort

Plus our pick this year will probably fit between Giddy and Chet. Cap space we are in a better position. Draft capital probably goes their way although our Brooklyn picks are unprotected where their Rocket picks are top 4 protected. They certainly have us beat on quantity of picks and in trade potential for a Bridges like move.

OremLK likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Haha, Tilman instantly regretted paying Chris Paul his millions....... then resulting in the infamous Russ Brody trade .....resulting in Chris Paul tutoring Shai Gilgeous ....resulting in OKC having enough experience to upset lower playoff teams.

That is just....

[​IMG]

Little Bit likes this.
  12. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Rockets had their SGA with Jarrett Allen but pissed that away instead for the corpse of Oladipo.

PuzzledFan likes this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Is this a joke? Jarret Allen = SGA. LOL

Denovo likes this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

OKC screwed up on not keeping Sengun. He will be a Hall of Famer.

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I meant in comparing young up-coming player(s) that got traded for a superstar:
    PG - SGA
    KD - Bridges
    Mitchell - Markannen
    etc.

What worthwhile player did the Rockets get and keep after trading Harden?

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

[​IMG]

Denovo likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol OKC is producing HOFers on a conveyor belt.

A minor one named Domantas.....

18. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I’m pretty sure with a real coach we’ll make the same jump. The difference makers between us two is SGA’s ascension. Imagine if Detroit accepted okcs trade offer of SGA and a FRP For Cade.

OKC has a remarkable coaching staff that have a clear direction of what they want to do. Once we get that this offseason we’ll be the next team to jump out the tank basement. Jsut need a real staff to break us out of of our bad habits. I saw JVG do this two decades when he inherited young core from Rudy who was very passive.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think your ranking is generally fine, although I have Green/Jabari/Sengun/Giddey all very close in value.

The one thing that OKC has that we don't is the hardest thing to find--a superstar 30+ point scorer to build around.

It is possible one of our players becomes this guy. Jalen Green's career trajectory is not dissimilar to SGA's at the same point in his career, for example. But we haven't found that guy yet.

I think if you offered a package of Green, Jabari, and Sengun together for SGA, OKC might still say no. That's how valuable he is right now. As a true #1 option superstar at age 24 just beginning his prime years, on a $29MM AAV over the next 4 seasons, he might be the #1 trade asset in all of basketball.

That's why OKC is better off than us at the moment. Maybe that'll change. Certainly could change quickly if we land Wemby.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think this is underrating Giddey a bit. He's ahead of Jabari as a player and talent as of now. As a player now he's arguably on the same level of better than Green. He plays in a better more spaced system with a easier shot profile and is still less efficient so that's a red flag.

If I did a ranking of who is the best current player it would be

SGA

Gap

Alpi
    Green/Giddey tied
    KPJ
    Dort
    Jabari

Overall talent and Ceiling?
    SGA

Green(though arguably he has a higher ceiling than SGA. No one thought he would be a superstar as a sophmore)

Chet

Jabari

Sengun

Williams

#40 fchowd0311, Apr 13, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
    DreamShook and cmoak1982 like this.