1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Okay.. so where is Carr going next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by IROC it, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How does the Scheduling work
    I mean . .. I know we play our division . . 1 NFC Division and 1 AFC Division
    That counts for 14 games, right?

This year The Texans had NFC - east[?] Dallas, Philly, Washington, Giants
    and AFC East [?] - New England, Miami, Buffalo, Jets

Who will they play next year.
    is it random . .or on a rolling schedule?

Rocket River

2. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

@ Indianapolis
    @ Tennessee
    @ Jacksonville
    vs. Indianapolis
    vs. Tennessee
    vs. Jacksonville
    @ Atlanta
    @ Carolina
    vs. New Orleans
    vs. Tampa Bay
    @ Oakland
    @ San Diego
    vs. Denver
    vs. Kansas City
    vs. or @ Miami
    vs. or @ Cleveland

3. Major

Major Member

The other 2 games are the other two equally good/bad teams in your conference. So for the Texans, since they are last in their division, they will play the other two last place teams in AFC divisions (there are 3 divisions, but they already play one of those teams since they play an entire AFC division already). The first place teams all play other first place teams, etc.

In theory, bad teams should have an easier schedule as a result. For example, Indy, San Diego, Baltimore, and New England will all have to play each other next year.

4. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Any other takers?

I say it makes his trade value remain the same seeing as how he did next-to-nothing in game 16.

I also still feel like he's still here... one mo' 'gin, boss.

If I had to pick again, I could see him interviewed / worked-out by the Raiders or Vikings.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Texans Could have been At least 8-8 If they Played the Chicago Schedule

Rocket River

6. updawg

updawg Member

After reading the other threads with the repetitive defend carr/bash carr posts I am amazed that at the end of the season there are still people making excuses for this ineptitude.
    I thought by the end of the season it would be pretty unanimous that change had to be made. Now, I just have the feeling we are going to be in the same situation with this team next year with the only difference being another year was wasted.
    The real question has become - What does Carr have that makes everyone defend him and make excuses for him? To me, its clearly not what he has done on the field. (not wanting the breakdown of why the OL sucks or why position x sucks etc., Keep it about Carr)

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We don't make that decision, the Texans do.

You need to go to the 610 website 'audio vault' and listen to the GM's interview from the other day. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Carr.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

no one's really defending him anymore - we're all pretty much at least reading the same chapter at this point - a split would probably do all involved some good. but when the anti-carrites goes overboard (ie his exit alone will be worth five wins next year), people are still stepping up and, i guess, "defending" the guy, not based on his play, but the uselessness of dealing in hyperbole. it's starting to happen with MW, too, btw - he's a bust; he'll never be any good; we should have taken (list 1 of 3 or 4 other players)....

now, as for carr coming back, i think there's still a good chance he will, not because he's earned it; and certainly not because the organization is behind him. but because, based on the salary implications, there has to be a compelling plan B and i'm not sure there is. you can't release or trade carr, absorb the cap hit, and then sign another high-salaried QB. nor does it do any good to replace him for the sake of replacing him - i'm sorry, but jake plummer is not an upgrade.

so you have to weigh your options and not bury your team at the same time. it's their own fault - they gambled on him; it looks like they've lost. now comes the time to pay-up, and no, it's not going to be pretty.

9. Hey Now!

wasn't it 790, or did he give the same comment to both stations? i heard it this morning on 790 - he said they were "uncomfortable" with some of the things he did; they used another word, too... something along the lines of disappointed. anyway, yeah - it was pretty biting. i don't think he'll be back; if he is, its only because getting rid of him proved too cost-prohibitive.

10. ima_drummer2k

Didn't hear the 790 one, I'm a 610 hanger on.

When Smith was asked about Carr by Lance, he said "we're 6-10 and that not a winning effort" and "we had inconsistent play from our QB position and we need to be better than that, so we're going to be very critical"

Those are direct quotes, I was typing as I listened to it again. Of course, he also gave the predictable "EVERYONE would be evaluated" lip service, but still.....not exactly a ringing endorsement for Carr. Actually, it sounded to me like he was trying to take the high road and not crap all over Carr.

I think Carr will be here again next year for the reasons you list in your last post, but I also think that for the first time in the history of the franchise, his starting spot will no longer be a sure thing. I think they'll either draft someone late (Kolb?) and/or bring someone else in and/or take a long look at Sage.

#170 ima_drummer2k, Jan 5, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  11. Hey Now!

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

As much as I hate to say admit it, your reasoning is dead on here. The major problem is that keeping Carr will create a PR disaster of epic proportions. It would make the current disaster in Oakland look like Kindergarden. I can hear the fan outcry now. Carr will be mercilessly booed every time he steps near the field. And God help him if he makes a mistake on the field. Every week in the Chronicle there will be a comparison of how well Carr is playing vs. how well Vince is playing. Every good or spectacular play Vince makes will send the TV talking heads back to ruminating on the 2006 draft when the Texans passed on this "hometown" hero. The "VY Legion" will grow in numbers and passion with every Carr fumble or interception. If you think things were bad this year, just wait until next season if they stay the course with Carr. They could very well still find themselves "buried".

13. ima_drummer2k

What he means is Old Testament, real wrath-of-God type stuff.

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling. Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes. The dead rising from the grave. Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria!!

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yes!!! But even calling in the Ghostbusters won't be enough to save the day for the Texans...

15. Hey Now!

that's a big twinkie.

16. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Carr's New Team:

[​IMG]

17. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Man, that's brutal! LOL! The truth hurts ...

18. MONON

MONON Member

Carr will be the qb next year because they won't be able to get enough for him in a trade. With Carr this year we tripled our wins from last year(2 to 6) and we will go 8-8 maybe 9-7 and maybe make the playoffs next year. Here's how:

1. ol will be healthy. Hopefully Spencer's career isn't over & McKinney will continue at center. We continue our resurgence in the running game.
    2. dl will be healthy. If Mario is double & triple teamed, Ryans & healthy starting linemen will make them pay.
    3. We have another excellent draft. My picks would be LT, DB, RB & depth.

19. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I still say there's a good chance Carr isn't going anywhere, because there's just not much talent at the QB position available in FA right now..and you can forget about a trade, cause you're gonna get the same value in return. So unless they get Plummer (which might be a good fit cause he did good under Kubiak) or Garcia (a solid veteran to lead the team while the org. develops a young talent from the draft, but a long shot cause he wants to play for a winner), Carr is staying here but will be fighting for his job with Sage. And honestly, 1) I can see the fan base ok with Carr staying so long as his job ISN'T guaranteed anymore and Sage gets a solid chance to win the starting job and 2) Unless you can bring in a Brady or Manning (Peyton) or Mcnabb, you will NEVER hear the end of comparisons between the Texans QB (whomever that may be) and Young; and even then you still probably won't hear the Young talk stop.

20. msn

msn Member

AJ and Moulds will be free agents soon. Wonder how happy they are with Carr?

I bet the Texans have to choose between a chance at re-signing AJ or Carr.

If I'm the Texans, I go with AJ and Moulds.

I really like you, Dave. You can sit by me at church. Now, let's go find us an NFL quarterback.