1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ok, wait.... Toby thinks some NFL teams may be racist?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by FLASH21, Apr 21, 2010.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I just saw this article on Yahoo! and was a tad bit perplexed. Toby Gerhart is complaining because he is NOT being compared to black running backs and is referred to as the next "Mike Alstott".... WTF, who do you think they'll compare you to if you're white???

He is a fair back, imo, but not a feature back that could carry the ball 25-30 times a game even after his rookie season, more of a change of pace back.

I don't really see how he could be upset that they're not comparing him to the likes of Michael Turner, Steven Jackson, or.... Ron Dayne??? :eek:

Anyway, this just struck me as a bit odd. Backwards racists, I guess. :confused:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-gerhartstereotype042010

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is right, and the Texans should take him, he would fit their offense perfectly......and a good contrast to Slaton.

DD

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Who was the last good white runningback?

I'm not talking fullback.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

What year is this...?

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

There is no such thing as "backwards racism". Racism is racism no matter which way you look at it.

I'm not saying that's what Gerhart is experiencing. Just pointing out that it racism no matter who it's meant for.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That's what I'm saying. I mean wouldn't you have to go all the way back to the 50's to find good white RB's? Larry Csonka maybe?

I just think there's a reason teams are weary of white RBs because they don't really transfer well the the NFL and black RBs are more dominant or have more speed, explosion, agility, etc.

Unless he breaks the trend and becomes great or good people are going to be looking for the next Chris Johnson or Barry Sanders and not the next Mike Alstott, until then he and everyone else that follows will be Budinger'd.

7. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

A bit confusing, you write as if racism is a one way road....

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I .... see what you did there?

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It was a joke. Not a good one obviously.

God! Loosen up people!!!

10. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

John Riggins would beg to differ (although he probably isn't a whole lot younger than Csonka)

11. Nero

Nero Member

There was a fellow named John Riggins who was a pretty good featured back, although personally I attribute that more to their offensive line than to any oure running talent he had.

Craig James was a pretty good back.

But yeah there have not been many.

However, I think Air Bud has shown us this year that white guys CAN overcome some of the stereotypes. An athlete is an athlete, and just like anywhere else, they should be rated on ability and performance, and not pigeon-holed based on pigmentation levels.

I read this article the other day, and opinions do vary on him, so it will be interesting to follow, watching both who drafts him and how they use him. Interesting some would say they would get no special teams use from him, but did not say why not.

We'll see.

12. da1

da1 Member

This is hilarious.

13. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Saying white guys can't play RB because they lack the "athleticism", is exactly the same as saying black guys can't play QB because they lack "leadership" or "football IQ".

That said, there don't seem to be a lot of monster white athletes playing in the NFL at RB, WR or CB. Far as I know there isn't anything genetic about being white that prevents one from being a gamebreaker running back, so there are probably other factors at work.

There may be some truth to the fact that some NFL scouts see a white guy and think fullback/tight end, just like if Tebow was black he would face an extraordinary amount of pressure to change positions.

Gerhardt is dumb to bring this up publicly though, it just makes scouts defensive and alienates prospective teammates.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Joe Alexander:Chase Budinger::Tommy Vardell:Toby Gerhart

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He didnt go out of his way to bring it up. Someone asked him what the strangest question that he has been asked in his interviews, so he answered.

The title is very misleading because, i havent heard Gerhardt go out of his way to call this out and no where does he say anything about thinking teams are racist, at least from what i've seen.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So your position is that the color of his skin is what he should be evaluated on regardless of his performance and measurables? You are saying he isn't going to have the "speed, explosion, agility, etc." of black runningbacks because he is white, not because of how he tested at the combine or how game tape evaluates him?

I'd say that's pretty racist. Apply your argument to black quarterbacks.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

really on your race soapbox arent you? what he said wasnt racist, in fact, he is actually right.

White RB have not transferred well in the NFL and often because of lack of speed/explosion, etc. Those that have transfered well have had those attributes and have also been black. Certainly color does not determine if you transfer, it is afterall all about performance, but acknowledging that those that have done well have been black is not racist...its just stating the trend.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

To be clear, I am hardly the person to get on a race soapbox, but it's funny that on this strange day I am defending a white running back against "racism" and attacking a white quarterback for being defended due to "racism." LOL

Absolutely this is all correct. However, the argument for Toby is that the reason people don't think he will translate is not a lack of skill, but merely a lack of skin color.

19. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

[​IMG]

On subject - I saw this crap coming a mile away. Dude will be a 2nd rd pick get over it, play ball and get paid.

20. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

I don't see it as a big deal. I'm sure black QB's get asked how they feel about trying to buck a stereotype. That doesn't make the question racist.

No if TG gets drafted in the 6th round and he comes out and says "it's racist that I went so late"....different story.