1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OK Farmers....it's that time!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketMan Tex, Feb 23, 2007.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Time to get ready to plant spring and summer vegetables....YEEHAW!!!

I am officially full of sh*t now....I just got back from Houston Garden Center and I have 320 lbs of composted hummus and cow manure in the trunk of my car. It looks like a freaking lowrider! :D

Renting a tiller at Aztec tomorrow morning to till up my garden and mix in the hummus and manure. Will be planting sometime next week...definitely before one week from Sunday (before March 4th). Tomatoes, cucumbers and eggplant in the garden, and peppers in containers.

Remember the rule of thumb in Houston...get your tomatoes in the ground by the first weekend in March, and you will be picking tomatoes Memorial Day weekend.

Anybody else getting ready to get their hands dirty with a vegetable garden?

2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

my dad has a green thumb. he's got a greenhouse in Rosharon with all kinds of vegetables. too bad he never passed any of that on to me.

3. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Now that I'm staying home, I plan to get one going, but not this year. My son takes up too much of my time.

I help my 90 year old neighbor with hers now. It's great having a neighbor with a good garden and a grapefruit tree. :cool:

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Veggies? You sure that's the ONLY thing you're going to be planting, RMTex?

[​IMG]

Uh huh. I thought so.

5. RocketMan Tex

Well, if I didn't live just outside the loop, and if I had a 10 foot high fence with barbed wire and an electricity shock for intruders, and if I owned a few rottweilers and some submachine guns, then I'd consider it.

Believe me....you are only the millionth person I know who has made the suggestion! "Hey man...great tomatoes...how about some ganj next year?" :eek: :D

6. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Does that mean it's time to fertilize?

Now that I'm on a single income, I have to do all this stuff myself, but it is therapy. Just ask Denis Leary... His lawn is UNBELEIVABLE!!!

7. Buck Turgidson

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes." -- The Bad Livers

Not going to have a chance to do any gardening this spring, bummer.

Anyone who's interested in doing a little manual labor & enjoying homegrown veggies should volunteer at Meredith Garden, Dunlavy & Richmond, next to El Pueblito. Beautiful little park, we grow all kinds of goodness there. Usually there's folks out there working Wed/Sat. Ask for Janet.

8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I hope I can get into my new house soon enough to plant veggies. I grew some tomatoes and peppers two years ago on my apartment patio. Nothing beats homegrown vegetables.

9. RocketMan Tex

HELL yes! :)

10. RocketMan Tex

I spread weed & feed on my lawn last weekend. Should be nice and green in about a month.

11. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Is there a Farmers Market somewhere in the W. Houston area????

12. Fatty FatBastard

I can't garden, but save a tomato for me! I love homegrown tomatoes.

13. Buck Turgidson

If you want a good weekend drive, hit Dilorio's in Hempstead.

14. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Ah! You know it's spring when Tex starts talkin' ****!

:D

Unfortunately there's still 3 feet of snow at the house in the Catskills! Won't be able to put anyting in the ground until April.

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I grow orchids, but they are in potted plants. So not much manual labour involved in taking care of em.

16. updawg

updawg Member

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Gardening sux...I pulled a crap load of weeds in my backyard about 3 weeks ago...Haven't been out there since...

18. RocketMan Tex

You got it. You, me, RM95, Buck T., etc. need to plan an Astros get-together for sometime in early June and I will load y'all up! :cool:

19. RocketMan Tex

I hear ya. My relatives back east flip out when they hear I plant tomatoes at the end of February. :D

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

all you tomato farmers who have too many tomatoes come harvest and are sacriligeously feeding the tomatoes to the chickens

remember me

I'll come get them....and i will make you very very good salsa from your tomatoes to give you...all I want is a small taste of it. seriously. I just want good tomatoes to play with and give it back to you in salsa form.

I'll even throw in a jar of some mole that Rick Bayless taught me that is just pure magic.

no joke....it is magic...well, except it take 12 hours to make 2 gallons and another 4 hours to prep and can it. so, it's like saying what Yao Ming does is magic....it is hard work.