1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oil and gas industry employment growing much faster than total private sector employment

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, Aug 8, 2013.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Two more hours for me. :grin:

1 person likes this.
  2. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I'm in Oil & Gas, but the "suppor" piece (oil field services). Accounting/Finance.

I don't think the benefits are as great as E&P companies, but still pretty darn good. Way better than I had in public accounting.

3. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

We have a 9/80 schedule which allows us to take 2 fridays off every month.

Don't forget paid phone bills and Iphones.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not attempting to be funny or anything
    but
    What does you day entail as a Petro Engineer

Rocket River
    Genuinely curious

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

In the past, it was common practice to let go of employees in droves as the market goes but majors now have changed their staffing model preemptively. When times get tough mid-high level managers are first out the door. Those with specialized skills that have a direct impact on operations will be kept at all costs. So while in the downstream business, in an efficient plant, there may be more room to downsize their operations staff, the E&P business will always involve new projects that call for in depth analysis and operations experience.

And, the college kids are not a real option in the interim. There are only so many petroleum engineers so most come with little to no knowledge of how to drill, produce, or manufacture oil and gas. Recent grads are always considered a long term investment that don't payout until ~3 years after hiring on when they can work autonomously. By then, the bust period may be over and there would be limited experienced personnel to capitalize on the next boom.

Also, what you mentioned about outsourcing has already happened. Contractors and consultants are used to do most of what most people would consider "real" engineering. Engineers at an operating oil and gas company are more of project managers with engineering knowledge, they do very little design. Automation is also utilized but because of environmental concerns there will always be a responsible party on site.

6. Buck Turgidson

Landowner, Karnes County, Texas. Yay Eagle Ford Shale, you crazy frackers keep on keepin on.

7. smr6

smr6 Member

9/80 schedule for me so I get every other friday off. Unfortunately I'm working today, but having a 3 day weekend every other week is damn nice.

8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I'm in oil and gas.

Oily face and gassy butt.

9. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

Hmmm......MRO?

10. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I think my favorite part about working in the oil and gas industry is the bathrooms. We have some nice facilities in our office.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yes! Best part about the industry. 9/80 is a gift from the gods.

12. ths balla

ths balla Member

any room for a Business Marketing major in Oil/Gas? I want some of these perks too lol

13. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

Basically everything from geology/reservoir simulation, drilling for oil, frac'ing, oil extraction/production, and selling.

I currently am a Production Engineer which deals with the physical extraction and production of oil from the reservoir and wellbores.

14. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Im in inside sales for rigging & material handling products- so i am in oil & gas

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yes, but the same as any business major; procurement/supply chain for projects or operations, measurement/volume accounting/contract admin/risk/scheduling for commercial/trading, or the standard A/P, A/R, Treasury stuff: for that last grouping maybe transition into Accounting and Financial Reporting. Also procurement and/or business analysis in IT. The larger oil and gas majors with retail outlets may have use for brand management, advertising or market research roles.

Third party energy/commodity trading and logistics software vendors (Allegro, QUORUM, OpenLink) have sales/project/consulting roles that I imagine a business major could get into and advance if they learn the software, learn some languages and get some PMP project training.

Trading/commercial in the last ten years has become as competitive as I-banking, particularly in terms of getting out of state and global applicants: and they're starting to adopt the same recruiting model of taking top students over experienced support staff. But the physical traders need all those support roles I listed above from measurement through scheduling. Listed them in increasing interaction to traders; start at or to the right of contracts admin/analyst, network well enough that you "fit in" with them and maybe get an MBA, you could be up for an opening in a couple of years. Applicable product groups would be Crude - Refined Products, Natural Gas - NGL; Electric Power is a little more intense and complicated with different roles, it's unique enough that you could probably be less selective about the initial role and even the end goal.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Almost every field is accounted for in O&G, that's why I get pissed when people say they're in O&G instead of telling me what their profession is. Many O&G companies have full fledged marketing opportunities that include PR, digital and traditional marketing positions available.

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

I was at dinner with some coworkers yesterday. One of them brought her friend along also. I asked her so what do you do? She goes:

I am in oil and gas.

To her credit..she followed that up with I am an accountant. I could not stop laughing.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yee, they're all the same. Think it's a badge of honor. No matter what they actually do.