1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ohio State President: Boise State and TCU Don't Deserve Title Shot

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Yeah, because the Big 10 is real tough. :rolleyes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5845736

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Even if TCU and Boise State run the table, they still don't deserve to be in the Bowl Championship Series title game, Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee said Wednesday.

In an interview with The Associated Press, the president at the university with the largest athletic program in the country said that TCU and Boise State do not face a difficult enough schedule to play in the national championship game.

"Well, I don't know enough about the Xs and Os of college football," said Gee, formerly the president at West Virginia, Colorado, Brown and Vanderbilt universities. "I do know, having been both a Southeastern Conference president and a Big Ten president, that it's like murderer's row every week for these schools. We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor. We play very fine schools on any given day.

"So I think until a university runs through that gauntlet that there's some reason to believe that they not be the best teams to [be] in the big ballgame."

Gee, long an admirer of the BCS and the current bowl system, said he was against a playoff in the Football Bowl Subdivision.

"If you put a gun to my head and said, 'What are you going to do about a playoff system [if] the BCS system as it now exists goes away?' I would vote immediately to go back to the bowl system," he said.

He said the current system is better for the student-athletes.

"It's not about this incessant drive to have a national championship because I think that's a slippery slope to professionalism," he said. "I'm a fan of the bowl system and I think that by and large it's worked very, very well."

He cited Ohio State's presence in the 2007 national title game as an example.

The Buckeyes won their first 10 games that season to rise to No. 1 before losing 26-21 at home to unranked Illinois. They fell all the way to No. 8 in the BCS rankings.

A series of upsets over the final weeks of the regular season and in other team's conference championship games led to the Buckeyes climbing all the way back to the No. 1 spot in the final BCS rankings. They were matched against an LSU team with two losses.

Ohio State led 10-0 early only to have LSU come back and score the next 31 points in a 38-24 victory at the Louisiana Superdome.

"You know, it's a mystery," Gee said. "We were No. 1 then No. 11 then No. 7 and we ended up playing for the national championship. I think I kind of like that mixed-up mystery."

While he was at Vanderbilt, Gee abolished the athletic department since it was underwritten by the university's general fund anyway. He said he has no problem with an Ohio State program that fields 36 intercollegiate varsity teams and has an annual budget exceeding $120 million.

"Here, athletics pays for itself and also pays for academic programs at the institution," he said. "The other thing, of course, that I take a look at and see how well we are doing in terms of that notion of balance, which is what I was all about at Vanderbilt, which I am all about here."

He said Ohio State's eighth-ranked football team, which plays rival Michigan on Saturday, is in the top 10 in the nation not only on the field but also in terms of academic progress.

"That's the kind of balance I want to have," he said.

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

TCU was supposed to play Arkansas this year. They backed out.

TCU was supposed to play Va Tech last year. They backed out.

We try to schedule hard non-conference games, but it's tough when schools in hard conferences don't want to play you due to their tough conference schedule.

3. Major

Major Member

I'd point out to him that Ohio State has 1 win over a currently ranked team - #24 Iowa. Both Boise and TCU have a better win that Ohio State's best win.

4. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

And if he were advocating Ohio State for the NC game you would have a point.

Oregon, Auburn going unbeaten is a nobrainer.

Most of the one loss teams will have way more quality wins on their schedule than Boise. TCU did get to beat Utah, who was probably overrated but is still a solid team. I'd give TCU the nod before Boise though.

5. Major

Major Member

:confused: Auburn's not even favored in this week's game. They may win, but it's certainly not a no-brainer.

6. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I think he mean's it's a no-brainer that they get into the title game if they go unbeaten.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Would you still give the nod to TCU if Boise were to dominate Nevada? Boise would not only have the computers at that point, but the voters too. If Boise routs Nevada this weekend, they will jump TCU. Honestly though, I just hope for the championship game's sake, we have Auburn and Oregon.

8. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

E. Gorgon Gee is a moron.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Can we just stop this stupid charade of opinions deciding who is better or more deserving in college football...?

You think you're hot sh**? Then beat them on the field and instead of behind closed doors, you pansy ass cowards.

10. Major

Major Member

My bad. I don't think anyone disagrees with that.

The OSU Prez was referring to the idea that even if a spot opens up, neither team should go over 1-loss teams. I would disagree with that. If you just look at wins & losses, you could make that case. But while TCU/BSU have played an easier schedule, they've completely dominated those schedules.

And it's not quite as big a differential as people make it out to be. According to Sagarin, here are schedule strengths:

TCU: 68
    Boise: 73

Ohio State: 59
    Wisconsin: 61
    Michigan State: 67

Oklahoma State: 43

LSU: 41

Stanford: 8

That's the list of 1-loss teams in the mix. Stanford is the one with the legitimate case, but they aren't even in the discussion (and no will want a Pac10 rematch anyway). Auburn is at 40 right now, so even with the loss to Alabama and a win in the SEC Title game, they could make a legit argument as they'll probably have a top 25 schedule.

The rest of them? One loss with a slightly better schedule than no-loss TCU or BSU is not very convincing, especially given that BSU's schedule will improve with Nevada added. And a Big10 President making that argument when all the Big10 teams have pretty crappy schedules is really stupid.

11. Major

Major Member

I should add that OklaState is probably in the same boat as Auburn. With wins over OU and Nebraska, they would have a top 25 schedule with 1 loss as well.

12. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Hopefully we beat Auburn and shake things up.

13. BucMan55

If this would actually get the league closer to a play-off system I'd be all for it. But we saw last year it really doesn't do much but garner discussion on who should and who shouldn't.

So I want the best teams to compete for it. Auburn, Oregon, Wisconsin, OkSt. Thing with the one loss teams is they have more chances to lose to a good team than Boise or TCU does. Boise plays what, 2 good teams??

And remember on strength of schedule, each conference goes .500 against itself. Yes, I realize sometimes schedule quirks might help that by having a team not playing a poorer team but it could also have a decent team squeak by and not play a conference leader.

14. Major

Major Member

One of the big disappointments with last season is that we never got to find out how good Boise & TCU really were because they had to play each other in the bowl game.

If Boise beats Oregon in the national title game and TCU beats Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, then you create much more discussion about a playoff because we see that there are more teams out there that are at that highest level of football. On the flipside, if Oregon and Wisconsin crush BSU & TCU, then it sort of ends the debate as to whether those non-AQ teams have been getting screwed over.

The worst case is that those two schools never get a chance to prove themselves - that just continues the status quo.

15. BucMan55

Oh you shoulda seen me last year. I thought it was an embarassment to the AQ schools that none of their "BCS ready" schools got to take on the party crashers. I mean, that could have put the kibosh on the discussion this year. Think about it. If Cincy or whoever crushes Boise last year then we aren't even having the discussion. But noooooooo. The bowl folks had to put them together for the safest matchup. Couldn't have Boise or TCU actually winning again after the debacle that Oklahoma put up a couple years prior.

Edit: And while I don't want either in the BCS CHamp game ahead of major unbeatens or Wisc, OSU, and a couple other 1 loss teams, I most certainly do want them to both appear in BCS games against teams from major conferences.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What ?

Of course the Presidents of big universities don't want to change anything they make more money with the status quo.

The whole "Better for the student athlete" garbage has been disproven time and time again.

DD

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think that the slippery slope died somewhere back in the 1950s.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

When TCU got exposed by an unimpressive Boise State it was pretty telling to me last year.

Yeah, right, a massive conspiracy and the fix was in. :rolleyes: Come on, you are smarter than that. The "bowl folks" who fixed this were the people at the Fiesta Bowl, who opted for a well-traveling fan base and hence high ticket sales and the curiosity factor and high TV ratings due to the perceived injustice, rather than low ratings and low ticket sales in Cincinnatti....come on....you really expect the Fiesta Bowl people to create a worse game for them and lose out on millions because people on a message board feel it to be unjust?

#18 SamFisher, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

TCU athletic director challenges Ohio St.

TCU athletic director Chris Del Conte responded to critical comments by Ohio State's president by suggesting the Buckeyes are jealous and challenging them to settle it on the football field.

Ohio State president Gordon Gee made news Wednesday by telling The Associated Press that if TCU and Boise State go undefeated, they wouldn't deserve to play in the Bowl Championship Series title game because their schedules aren't difficult enough.

Chris Del Conte, TCU athletic director responds to Ohio State's Gordon Gee: Just name the place and time.

"I sat back and just thought about our football program and our coach and realized that to start throwing stones at your house, they must be jealous," Del Conte said. "We have a phenomenal football program. ... And someone now starts taking shots at TCU? That means we've arrived."

TCU is 11-0 this season and sits at No. 3 in the BCS standings. Boise State is 10-0 and No. 4. One of those teams could get a shot at the national title should No. 1 Oregon or No. 2 Auburn lose one of their remaining games.

Del Conte said he'd love to put the Buckeyes on TCU's schedule.

"Anytime. Anyplace. Anywhere," he said. "Buckeyes against the Horned Frogs. Tee it up. Let's go."

Gee said teams who aren't in BCS conferences aren't challenged on a weekly basis, so they aren't worthy of playing for a national title.

"Well, I don't know enough about the X's and O's of college football," said Gee, formerly the president at West Virginia, Colorado, Brown and Vanderbilt universities. "I do know, having been both a Southeastern Conference president and a Big Ten president, that it's like murderer's row every week for these schools. We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor. We play very fine schools on any given day."

"Especially when I start to look at their nonconference schedule made up of the MAC schools -- that'd be Ohio, Eastern Michigan. I had no idea they were going out and testing themselves week in and week out.

"The schedule that we have in front of us, whether it be playing Baylor, Oregon State, SMU and our league games -- Utah, BYU, Air Force -- we have played a tough schedule."

Boise State president Bob Kustra, in an interview with the Idaho Statesman, also took exception to Gee's position.

"I just hope that when he speaks about his research profile or the quality of his university he's a little more believable than he is about athletics, because he's just so wrong on this one," Kustra said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5847542

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Oh yes...they were exposed. Since they beat that boise team last 2 years ago in a bowl game. Then played them last year.....and played like crap.

Not like good teams don't play bad games....like Nebraska losing to that laughing stock of a team...UT.