1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

oh yeah

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Stevie Francis, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Stevie Francis

were gonna get hit by a tropical storm, hopefully a hurricane.

p.s - hope it blows by so nothing will be damage, or anyone is killed.

2. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Where did you hear this? Was it a news report...or an educated guess?

3. mfclark

mfclark Member

I dunno which storm you're thinking about, but nothing's going to hit Houston.

Edouard is likely to fizzle out over Florida; even if it makes it across, it's expected to impact the middle Gulf Coast, from New Orleans to Mobile.

---

Edit: I just took a look at Edouard and the circulation is pretty much dead already. If that's the storm you were hoping for, try again.

---

The blob of convection currently off of the Texas coast isn't showing any signs of getting better organized and even if it does, it's likely it won't strengthen much - both due to proximity to land and overall conditions.

---

Edit: Looking at the satellite for this area too, it fails to impress me. Conditions are ok for something to develop, but there's not even a circulation there yet - without it, there's going to be no development. Sorry, but I don't see anything big coming out of this either. The worst? Dean, about 4 years ago.

---

Other than rain, Houston has nothing to worry about. Hurricanes are fun to track, but trust me - as a meteorology major, I know there's no need to make such bold predictions when nothing's out there to make that sort of an impact.

#3 mfclark, Sep 5, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2002
  4. Refman

Which school? My old roommate was a meteorolgy major at A&M...he told me that not many schools have a meteorolgy program.

5. mfclark

mfclark Member

Florida State.

Not many schools have meteorology programs...and fewer have good ones. I'd estimate an average of one per state, with about 8-10 being among the best - namely Washington, Penn State, Florida State, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M.

I know I'm forgetting a couple - but your roommate pretty much had it right. Some schools offer atmospheric science programs, but not all of those are really meteorology (a few, like Washington and Penn State's programs, however, are true met. programs).

6. Stevie Francis

man there is a soon to be depression in the gulf of mexico. Right now as of
    9/5/02 they say it will most likely be a T.P storm by the time it hits land. I love wqeather so i know about this stuff.;)

Trust me you i predict storm before the weather channel does,. I can tell just by looking at the radar. Like allison i told my friends and and family thats a tropical strom 80 miles ESE of us, and 2 hours later the broadcast it was a storm indeed.

I'm not trying to be cocky guys, so no bashing.

7. Refman

You've picked a great major. I really liked the few courses my roommate had me take to complete science credits. I could never have done it as a major though...I'd NEVER pass Diff. Eq. :)

8. mfclark

mfclark Member

That's a pretty bold statement there, that last one you just made.

And no reputable source is saying something is going to form in the Gulf of Mexico, yet alone hit land as a tropical storm. The possibility is there that a depression may form in the next few days, but as of now - that seems unlikely.

And trust me - I don't just love the weather, I study it for a living. You can't tell that anything is going to happen just from a radar picture...there's much more to it than that, including a lot of things I still don't know and some things I may never know.

But if you think it's just a game, then you're sadly mistaken.

9. mfclark

mfclark Member

The intro level meteorology courses are pretty good at getting people interested about the weather without getting in-depth technically in the subject. Others who I have heard from that took the class also enjoyed it, and it seems to be a more popular option for science credit these days.

As for Differential Equations...don't even get me started! :) Let's just say it'll be an experience this semester and next in two levels of Engineering Math - think Diff. Eqns., both partial and ordinary, applied and modeled to many different situations.

But hey - getting to that level's half the battle! Better than 99% of college students ever get to, that's for sure.

10. mfclark

mfclark Member

As a note to anyone out there who may be considering meteorology as a major/minor/area of interest in college...feel free to drop me an e-mail via the BBS (I think that option has been temporarily disabled, though - I didn't notice the mail icon on the posts when I looked) and I'll be glad to help steer you in the right direction.

And if I'm not mistaken, another poster - AstroRocket - is a meteorology major himself up at OU. I can't speak for him, but I figure he'd be glad to help too, at least when the entire OU school of meteorology isn't out chasing a tornado or something!

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Actually, mfclark, there is a grain of truth to what he is saying...

From the National Hurricane Center:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/MIATWOAT.html

<i>TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL
    1030 PM EDT WED SEP 4 2002

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

DISTURBED WEATHER OVER THE NORTHERN AND NORTHWESTERN GULF OF MEXICOIS ASSOCIATED WITH A BROAD LOW PRESSURE AREA. THIS SYSTEM HAS CHANGED LITTLE THIS EVENING...HOWEVER CONDITIONS APPEAR FAVORABLE FOR A TROPICAL DEPRESSION TO FORM OVER THE NEXT DAY OR TWO. AN AIR FORCE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT IS SCHEDULED TO INVESTIGATE THE SYSTEM TOMORROW...IF NECESSARY.</i>

So, it does appear there is some development. As for SF's unrestrained glee at the thought of a hurricane mixed with the naive, if not completely moronic, HOPE that it won't do any damage or kill anyone (what exactly do you think a hurricane does, give you love and affection?), he's just never had to dig through the ruins of his house to pull out the water logged remnants of his prized basketball card collection yet. Ah, youth. :rolleyes:

12. Refman

The meteorology courses I took had labs and were really informative. I learned what makes a thunderstorm and what to look for. I also learned things about what the weatherman is saying on TV to have a deeper understanding. the classes were really excellent. Combined with tidbits from my roommate...I learned a lot.

As for diff eq...I went to law school so I wouldn't have to do math. :)

13. Stevie Francis

thanks jeff.

time to gloat.:D :cool:

ok i'm done, it looks pretty impressive as of now at 2:15a.m on the 5th. I think it will be a depression at 12-2 p.m and storm by this time tomorow, if it doesn't make landfall.

14. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

15. mfclark

mfclark Member

Jeff - I saw that, and that's why I discussed the possibility of something potentially developing out there.

However, the area has not been well-organized and conditions are going to grow gradually unfavorable over the area. Like I mentioned, it'll bring some rain - but a tropical storm (or hurricane)? Pretty unlikely.

Stevie Francis - it looks like a mass of clouds, all unorganized. Just because it rains doesn't mean there's going to be a tropical storm there immediately.

16. Stevie Francis

but the center is like 150miles from the coast and a surface low is delevloping as we speak. If the pressure is low enough it will develope rapidly. But it the center did make landfall i say it will do it by friday or saturday which is enough time for it to organize, lets not forget day time heating which fuels thnderstroms.

17. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

So, what exactly is the ultimate job for a meteorology major? Looking at those hot chicks at the weather channel, working there sounds like a pretty sweet deal, though the actual meteorology jobs require a Master's or a PhD.

I think a cool job to have would be flying those planes around in the middle of hurricanes

18. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

If I won the lottery, I'd go back to school (A&M) and get a meteorology degree.

Don't know why I felt like saying that, but I find the weather fascinating.......I watched Twister the other night on my new HEC. HDTV and 7.1......holy cow; what a ride!! I thought my roof was gonna get ripped off the house.

For anyone who has been a little too close, like Jeff, I can understand their sentiments. For those who probably haven't, like Steve Francis, I can understand their excitement.

19. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Check out the radar in motion now....the thing is just off the coast in Galveston and is starting to rotate and become more organized. If this thing hits us, make sure you've got plenty of beer in the fridge.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

assuming the electricity stays on long enough to keep those beers cold!