1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Oh. My. God.]The Police to Reform for Reunion Tour??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Jan 3, 2007.

1. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

You consider me the young apprentice
    Caught between the scylla and charibdes
    Hypnotized by you if I should linger
    Staring at the ring around your finger

I have only come here seeking knowledge
    Things they wouldn't teach me of in college
    I can't see the destiny you sold
    Turned into a shining band of gold

I'll be wrapped around your finger

Mephistopheles is not your name
    But I know what you're up to just the same
    I will listen hard to your tuition
    And you will see it come to its fruition

Devil and the deep blue sea behind me
    Vanish in the air you'll never find me
    I will turn your face to alabaster
    Then you will find your servant is your master

And you'll be wrapped around my finger

2. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Well, going over 20 years without reforming one of the most popular bands in the world is one reason. Stewart and Andy have seemed open to it, while Sting has spoke at length about not reforming the band. I think they have done the odd benefit appearance (the 1986 Amnesty tour show with U2 is one I can think of), but Sting basically killed a project where they were going to re-record different versions of their greatest hits after problems in the studio between him and Stewart.

I think after Sting completely sold his soul with the Jaguar ad (from Mr. Save-the-amazon, no less) and all of the Puff Daddy, Toby Keith crud there has been reason to think that the Police option is back on the table.

As much as I can't stand Sting, I loved the Police and would plunk down the $150 it would take to see them (though, there is no way in hell they come to New Zealand). I guess the last intact great band not to reform is still the Talking Heads. I would sell people in my family to see them! :D

3. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Can it be for the money? I wouldn't think Sting would need it? Maybe the other guys? Sure would be cool if it happened.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

He's made it clear over the years that
    (1) The Police are beneath him (musically)
    (2) He and Copeland don't get along within the confines of the band

Stewart Copeland didn't take it well when Sting began to make him and Andy his backup band.

I would murder to see this show if it were to happen.

Evan

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

UPDATE: See bolded comments. I'm starting to think this may actually happen!! Usually where there's smoke, there's fire.

ima_drummer2k to The Police = tinman to Vince Young

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POSTED: 10:38 a.m. EST, January 4, 2007
    NEW YORK (Billboard) -- Rumors are swirling that the Police will reunite for 2007 dates in England and the United States, which would be the rock trio's first since disbanding in 1986.

Sources told Billboard.com the reports -- in the British press -- were legitimate, but they would not publicly comment until final details are nearer to completion.

This year marks the 30th anniversary of the release of "Roxanne," the single that broke the Police in the United States.

"Discussions have been underway as to how this will be commemorated," reads a post on Sting's Web site (http://www.sting.com) attributed to a spokesperson at the band's A&M Records label. "While we can confirm that there will indeed be something special done to mark the occasion, the depth of the band's involvement still remains undetermined."

Sources say in addition to DVD releases, A&M is planning another multi-disc collection in the vein of 1993's "Message in a Box," which featured the band's complete studio recordings and a handful of rarities.

A Police reunion has been the concert industry's dream for two decades, as it is believed the band could play stadiums internationally should it choose to reunite. But besides an impromptu set at Sting's 1992 wedding to Trudie Styler, the Police's only other post-breakup performance was in celebration of its 2003 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

And while Sting has repeatedly expressed reluctance at reuniting, drummer Stewart Copeland and guitarist Andy Summers have kept the flame alive. This summer, Summers told Billboard he was certain the group could have continued past its 1983 commercial peak with "Synchronicity."

"The more rational approach would have been, 'OK, Sting, go make a solo record, and let's get back together in two or three years,' " he said. "I'm certain we could have done that. Of course we could have. We were definitely not in a creative dry space. We could have easily carried on, and we could probably still be there. That wasn't to be our fate. It went in another way. I regret we never paid it off with a last tour."

LINK

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I would absolutely, positively go see this show. I would probably pee my pants.

7. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is mostly what I was asking about. What has he said? As literal as "those guys suck" or a neutral "we don't work as a band anymore"?

Again, I have not followed him so did not really know his ego was currently out of control. When was the last time one of his records did well (can "adult contemporary" really do well)?

8. MadMax

let's be honest...at this point, a lot of police stuff is played on adult contemporary formats.

9. ima_drummer2k

Every interview I've seen with him, he basically just says something to the effect of "the band is over, why would I want to go back?" He's never said anything bad about Andy or Stewie, they are all actually still good friends.

In one interview, he was asked why they broke up in the first place. He said it just hit him after they played a sold-out show in Shea Staduim. He said to himself "this is as good as it is ever going to get and there's really nowhere to go from here but down, so why continue?" Perhaps he had a thing about quitting while on top instead of going the Michael Jordan route?

As far as his solo career goes, I liked his first 3 albums a lot (Blue Turtles, Soul Cages, Ten Summners Tales) but after that, he sort of turned into an adult contemporary artist. Some fans (including myself) say his music lost whatever edge it had after he married his longtime GF. He didn't have much to say lyric-wise anymore. A lot of his songs were about conflict and he had no more conflict when they got married. He cheated on his 1st wife with her.

A lot of people don't realize that The Police started out as a punk band. That was Stewart's intent when he started the band. Some of their early stuff (before their first album) is straight up thrash. Yes, Sting actually used to be cool. :eek:

10. MadMax

I'm one of the few Police fans who loves all his solo stuff. I love the fact that his songs don't all sound alike. His live album with jazz adaptations of some of his hits was great, I thought. I love the edgier stuff, too...but I see his music as just maturing over time. I guess to some that's boring.

11. emjohn

I think the Sting solo stuff is mostly genius but it's simply not appealing to me. Sometimes it smacks of being avante gard for the simple sake of being on a higher plain than standard music. Does it have an audience? Is he doing this just to show us how much of a musical talent he is?

Either way, it's clear that 'So Lonely' doesn't speak to whom Sting is musically (anymore? ever?)

Evan

12. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Sting speaks:

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/magazine/daily/16461982.htm

Chatter about a Police reunion gained new urgency this weekend when Sting told TV critics at their winter gathering, "It would be nice to do something" with his old bandmates. This is the 30th anniversary of the formation of the band, whose hits include "Roxanne," "Don't Stand So Close to Me" and "Message in a Bottle."

Until recently, Sting had seemed reluctant to reunite with Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers. "I'm deeply, deeply fond of both of them," he told the critics after a private performance of songs by the Elizabethan composer John Dowland featuring lute player Erin Karamazov. (He's a star. He can do what he wants. And he did it well.)

"I'm very proud of the band that we were in... . We're still great friends... . We are discussing something. Don't know what, but definitely something," said Sting, repeating his latest coy come-on. (When will he know the "what" part of the "something"? Who knows?)

The busy bee dedicated his final encore Saturday - a lute version of "Message in a Bottle" - to Copeland and Summers: "I'm sending out an S.O.S."- Jonathan Storm

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Yea...Sting did his own thing so he could make the music he wanted to make. In doing so, he lost most of his "The Police" audience. Obviously, he didn't care about making popular music when he made the call to go his own way. There's nothing wrong with that. He kind of screwed the bandmates over in a way. Here they have been sitting on the sidelines because "The Police" was all they had. I would equate what Sting did with what Rik Emmitt of "Triumph" did...basically abandoning the band to make his own music. The other band members would have loved to keep going with the band but the frontrunner wanted to do his own music. Sting has the luxury of doing his own stuff and "The Police" stuff without the original bandmates. There has to be resentment there for those left behind...even if they are good friends.

14. ima_drummer2k

[BUMP]

Just heard from a friend that The Police will be gearing up for their reunion tour.....by opening up the Grammys! When are the Grammys anyway?

Dear God, let this be true. I hope they don't play something lame like Every Breath You Take or Wrapped Around Your Finger. I'd like to see them play something rocking like Next To You or Synchronicity I.

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Damn! I'm old.

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The Police rehearsing in Vancouver?

Every little thing The Police ever did was magic to the band's fans. On Wednesday, Vancouver's Rock 101 FM's Bro' Jake Show reported that the '80s rockers were rehearsing at North Vancouver's Lions Gate Studios, preparing for a highly-anticipated 30-year reunion tour.

No one was available officially to confirm or deny the report. A receptionist would only allow that "there have been a lot of calls this morning."

Rock 101 received unconfirmed reports Wednesday night that two large semis arrived at the studio and started unloading gear marked with Police logos and those of its former lead singer, Sting. The radio station reported some Sting sightings on the slopes of Whistler yesterday, too.

Rumours of the platinum-selling, platinum-blond act returning to the stage to perform have circulated since March 2003, when the Police last played together at their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.

They heated up again last month when a story in UK paper Daily News reported that the group would tour this summer in celebration of the 30th anniversary of the release of its first major single, "Roxanne."

On Jan. 14, Sting pretty much admitted to a coming tour when he told the Television Critics Association that all former members were talking.

"We started 30 years ago, so it would be nice to do something to celebrate," Sting is quoted as saying. "We don't quite know what, but we're talking about it."

Talk of a The Police presence at the Grammy telecast on Feb. 11 from Los Angeles' Staples Center is also circulating.

If The Police are indeed rehearsing in Vancouver, it joins a growing list of superstars using the city as a pre-tour practice and opening-night locale.

U2 and the Rolling Stones used GM Place for rehearsal space in 2006, while Nickelback and Foo Fighters have used Pacific Coliseum. Bob Dylan spent four days over Thanksgiving at the Commodore. Country singer Dierks Bentley recently holed up at Pacific Coliseum before beginning his latest tour. Previous years have seen Janet Jackson, Aerosmith and others take advantage of Vancouver's relative anonymity and world-class technical crews.

Link to Story

17. MadMax

could i BE more excited about this??

[​IMG]

18. ima_drummer2k

This is incredible news, but...

WTF?

19. emjohn

It's actually something that they were known for when they first started. They shot a commercial where they all were bottle blondes, and they ended up keeping the look.

Evan

20. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

The Police reunite for Grammys

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Police will reunite to open the 49th Annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles on February 11, The Recording Academy said on Tuesday, fueling speculation that the hit 1980s band is planning a reunion tour.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070130/en_nm/grammys_police_dc