1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Oh. My. God.]The Police to Reform for Reunion Tour??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Jan 3, 2007.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If this is true, I'm gonna have to change my pants....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daily Mail in the UK says:

JAMES TAPPER, Mail on Sunday Last updated at 21:25pm on 30th December

Sting is in talks to re-form The Police and tour with the group - 30 years after they were formed.

The band, who rank alongside The Rolling Stones and The Beatles among the greats of rock, are considering playing a series of dates in the UK next summer.

Consisting of Sting on bass and vocals, drummer Stewart Copeland and guitarist Andy Summers, the group have been in discussions for months.

They became one of the biggest bands of the Eighties with hits including Walking On The Moon, Every Breath You Take, Don't Stand So Close To Me and Message In A Bottle.

News that they are re-forming will surprise fans as Sting, 55, has always resolutely opposed the move in the past.

Sources say rehearsals have been pencilled in to take place before Sting begins the February leg of his latest European tour and after Copeland has finished his stint as a judge in the BBC celebrity duet show Just The Two Of Us.

The record label, A&M, is believed to be planning a special anniversary release in June and the tour dates would coincide with that.

A source said: 'They were intending to announce it in January after all the tour dates had been finalised.

'They are speaking to venues about booking dates in May and June. Everyone who knows about it is incredibly excited because they were a legendary band.'

A spokeswoman for A&M confirmed discussions had taken place but denied there were any firm dates for concerts.

She said: 'Next year is the 30th anniversary of the release of Roxanne, the first Police single. It is our intention to mark the anniversary by doing something special with the band's catalogue of songs.

'Needless to say, everyone is hopeful the band will support our plans and while early discussions have taken place, nothing has been decided.'

Miles Copeland, the former manager of The Police and brother of Stewart, said: 'It's the 30th anniversary and there has been mention of this for some time, but I can't comment.'

Stewart formed The Police in 1977 with Sting. Miles recognised the power of their blend of pop, punk and reggae and got them a record deal when he heard Roxanne, the first of many worldwide hits.

LINK

2. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

WOW. Probably won't happen, but if it does that tour will make a bazillion dollars. Sting is too much of a douche to get back together with the Police, but if he does, I'm going.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

NICE!!!juan

4. Buck Turgidson

Please please please let this happen.

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Hyperbole aside I would love to see the Police again!

BTW ima I just read this morning that Sting's Central Park west apartment is up for sale. Asking $24 mil.

With the reunion and trying to sell his apartment, I guess he needs some cash.

:)

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Too good to be true.

Sting's ego won't let this happen.

7. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

If it does happen they wont make it out of Europe, the US is a pipe dream IMO..

8. ima_drummer2k

Naw, he's probably just moving the rest of his stuff to his CASTLE in England. Call me crazy, but most guys who own their own CASTLE in the English countryside probably are NOT suffering from any cashflow problems.... ;)

You're probably right. :( The article doesn't say anything about any US dates. But who knows. If things go well, maybe they would add them later. Stranger things have happened. Don't ruin this for me!!

9. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

i love the police and ...

...well...

Sting doesn't deserve to share the same stage with Stewart Copeland.

there. i said it.

10. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am a fan of the Police but have not really followed Sting's solo career. What has he done that is making everyone react as if he would never do this?

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ahhh Yessss!! The Eighties....the day.
    I've seen them several times throughout the years..I'd have to go with the Synchronicity Tour in the Summit as the best concert.
    We've got a group that will definitely be there if they pull together the World Tour.

12. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

In 1983, a friend and I snuck into the Astrodome parking lot the evening before Police tickets were to go on sale. We fell asleep in the grass, and woke up to find a line of about 2000 people had gotten in front of us. :eek: :eek:

We still got seats.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wow, this is one reunion of an old band that I would REALLY love to see. :cool:

14. ima_drummer2k

He has stated publicly multiple times that he would NEVER reunite with The Police, even though Andy and Stewart have been open to it (they never wanted to disband in the first place). I saw an interview with him a few years ago when someone asked him if it would ever happen and he paused and said, "why????" then started laughing. :mad:

They played a few songs together at Sting's wedding (on the wedding band's equipment). Sting said he found himself giving Stewart dirty looks for rushing the tempo and that it was just like the old days. He also said they each had way too much to drink. LOL.

When they played together at the R&R HOF induction, they supposedly had a blast, except for Stewart breaking his snare head. They've always been good friends, so who knows....

Maybe Sting has finally put his MASSIVE ego aside in the interest of the band and the fans. Or for money. Either way, I'm fine with it. :)

15. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i <3 the po lise SO MUCH :) that i :eek: do almost AnyThing if they would ARREST :eek: me one more time. :D especially that copeland, ima_DRUMMAtoo :eek: :)

16. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

this would be great.

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

That's hilarious. That happened to a friend and I camping out at Almeda Mall for VH 1984 concert tickets except we were in a van just off the mall lot as they wouldn't let you on the mall lot. We were partying it up a little. Then, we passed out and woke up to find there was already a line. Instead of being first in line (which we would have been), we were way back in line...so much so that we ended up getting upper prom for the second show at the Summit. AHHHH!!!

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Police rule. There would probably have to be some brutality by Stewart Copeland against Sting to knock some annoyingness out of him, and keep his head on straight, but that could be a great show.

19. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Wow. Never saw this one happening

20. ima_drummer2k

I (de) do (do do, de da da da) believe you're making fun of me.

If I ever see you in person, my advice to you is don't stand....don't stand so....don't stand so close to me. Or you may end up walking on the moon.