1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Oh, Max -- back in trouble, back in jail

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jan 19, 2005.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I know someone, himself a lawyer, who was unable to get his child support payments changed even though he was expected to pay more money than he earned. From what I understand, the judge has a high degree of discretion in determining the amount and I'm skeptical of claims that the court will always give you a fair shake. Not sure what the case is with Maxwell -- knowing him, it could well be willful. Certainly fleeing the state was a bad idea.

In any case, even if he is a deadbeat loser, a terrible father, and a drug-abusing petty thug, I still love Mad Max.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Judge has very little discretion in setting the amount to be paid. There's a formula for it.

But still..this is a personal experience where it was not changed. Thanks for the info.

3. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Calvin Murphy, too.

And Boris Becker, too. He should have known he was going to impreginate that Russian model by receiving oral sex. Once it leaves your body, its strict liability.

4. MadMax

Here's what's considered:

Texas Family Code Sec 154.062

The Court shall calculate net resources for the purpose of determining child support liability as provided by this section.

Resources include:
    1. 100% of all wage and salary income and other compensation for personal services (including commissions, overtime pay, tips and bonuses);

2. interest, dividends and royalty income;

3. self-employment income;

4. net rental income; and

5. all other income actually being received, including severance pay, retirement benefits, pensions, trust income, annuities, capital gains, social security benefits, unemployment benefits, disability and wokers' compensation benefits, interest income from notes regardless of the source, gifts and prizes, spousal maintentance and alimony.

then the statute goes on to say you deduct from that:

1. social security taxes
    2. fed income tax based on tax rate for a single person claiming one personal exemption and standard deduction;
    3. state income tax
    4. union dues; and
    5. expenses for health insurance for the obligor's child.

Section 154.063 requires the party to furnish information sufficient to accurately identify the party's net resources and ability to pay child support...it has him produce copies of tax returns for the past 2 years, a financial statement and paycheck stubs.

#24 MadMax, Jan 19, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

ROFL.

6. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

in Texas, courts use a formula based on percentage of earnings -

... and to answer the question of how do I know, I learned in in my Domestic Relations course in law school

7. MadMax

yeah..the one i posted above...trying to get to a percentage of net resources based on the number of children you're supporting.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

dont hate on Maxwell!

They can lock you up, but the fire that defined you and the
    championship Rockets can't be blown out.

Please transfer your toughness and attitude to Yao.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

He didn't quit. The team VOTED to give him a ring. Dude is an emotional guy, he coveted being a starter. he didn't want to be second fiddle to Clyde. Why would he? Vernon was responsible for the CLUTCH CITY name.

You are the tupac of the Rockets. "I aint mad at cha".

10. tinman

Supporting Member

No one is perfect, Vernon is human.
    No way he can pay that now, he's out of the NBA.

He was used by these women like tupac was.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

We have no idea what happened in Vernon's personal life. I believe he's still a great guy. I'd have him back on the Rockets as an assistant coach. He can instill toughness and heart.

12. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

did that really happen?

I thought Becker tried to pass that over on the court, and the court refused the arguement.

#32 moligity, Jan 19, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Did you miss him choosing not to show up after Game 1 of the first round of the 95 playoffs? He took the last shot, missed, and never showed up for a game again. Didn't step on the court, didn't suit up, didn't even sit on the bench rooting for his team. To me, that's the definition of quitting.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

He strategically left so the team can gel with Drexler.
    The team still voted a ring for him.
    Hero.

15. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I remember an article posted a year ago or so about Mad Max. Even his son was disgusted with him.

For Vernon Maxwell, A Legacy Tarnished

16. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Maxwell will get what he deserves.

The moral of this man's story is in two folds - keep your stuff in you pants if you ain't ready to be a responsible father. Also for the golding gals out there, do not use children to trap men or use them as cash cows. I just hope miss Jenkins is not one of those gold diggers and groupies that see the rich athletes as lottery tickets out of poverty.

17. MadMax

come on, dude. i had a maxwell jersey...he was my favorite player...he's my namesake here...

but he quit on them. he got into a screaming match with Rudy and was never to be heard from again.

he owned every scoring record at Florida...and lost them because of drugs. he mismanaged his own talent. which is tragic for him.

coach?? this guy can't coach from a cell. i wouldn't want him having any influence on anyone. i've been rough on Yao lately..but Yao Ming is an immensely more reliable teammate than Vernon Maxwell.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

if john lucas can get a second chance so can vernon!

vernon was a mentor to iverson when he was philly, iverson even let vernon stay in house.

19. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

Dude being a single parent at one time, you never know what happens in an individual case. Especially that of a athlete who everyone knows your salary then all the the chickenheads trying to get at you because of who you are. He probably owes one amount then the taxes/back child support kicks in. Did you guys know that some of your child support goes to the state. I forget exactly how it works. You shouldnt be able to get taxed/or interest on child support. Thats another story. Anyhow you get to a point where you just dont have to the money to pay what they say you owe. And the bad part, is there is no way out of it. The judge does have alot of discretion in these cases. Maxwell case has been in the media so much that peoples minds are made up about him. Lets not even get to the fact of his son's mother teaching his son not to like his father (believe me it happens) it says she has not received child support since 2001. That tells me he had been paying before that for a long time. Probably and insane amount of money 1000-5000 dollars a month. Thats on the low end for an athlete. The truth of the matter is, men/athletes dont really have to many rights on their sides when it comes to these child support cases. Now if he never paid the lady at all then I would consider him a dead beat. But he stopped paying in 2001. I think he took the attitude, "I cant pay you what I dont have anymore..." Did you guys know that even if someone who is claimed to be a childs father and takes care of a child, if he at a later date EX:3 years - finds out that child isnt his, he is still liable for taking care of that child. So dont jump to conclusions, there is always 2 sides to a story.....

20. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Dead beat dads piss me off like nothing else. I have a friend of mine that has a 4 year old daughter and she barely makes it by as a single mother. Her loser ex wont pay the $300 a month that he is required to pay. $300???? I pay more than that per week. She called me up yesterday crying because he didnt pay her again and she didnt have hardly any food in the house. What kind of ******* wont provide for their own children? I gave her some money so they can make it through the week. It just makes me want to kick his ass.