1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oh, Max -- back in trouble, back in jail

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jan 19, 2005.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

http://www.gatorsports.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050119/GATORS01/50119005

Maxwell arrested in Seattle
    ADVERTISEMENT

By KEVIN BROCKWAY
    Sun sports writer

Former NBA and Florida Gators star Vernon Maxwell was arrested in Seattle as a fugitive stemming from an outstanding arrest warrant in Florida.

King County Jail officials confirmed Tuesday that Maxwell was being held at the facility awaiting extradition to Florida, but could not confirm whether the warrant was related to his Alachua County felony charge for failure to pay child support.

Maxwell was extradited to Florida in April of 2004, from Cobb County, Ga., for failure to pay more than $160,000 in child support for the 16-year-old son he has with Myra Jenkins of Gainesville. He was released April 20 on $20,000 bond.
    A warrant was issued for Maxwell's arrest when he failed to appear for a case management hearing regarding the charge on Dec. 9. Terms of Maxwell's release are that he was not to leave Alachua County borders until the case was resolved.

"He didn't care," Jenkins said. "He's just disobedient. He just thinks he's above the law, I guess."

Jenkins said Maxwell has not made a direct child support payment since May of 2001. She is due more than $230,000 in back child support, which includes interest.

Jenkins received an $1,800 payment as part of a one-percent purge of Maxwell's bond when he was released from Alachua County Jail last April.

Calls to Maxwell's attorney, Steven Turnage, were not returned Tuesday.

Maxwell, a three-time all-SEC selection, played at Florida from 1985-88 and was the leading scorer on the Norm Sloan-coached teams that made NCAA Tournament runs in the 1980s. Statistics from his junior and senior year were stripped following NCAA sanctions related to Maxwell that were leveled against UF.
    Maxwell went on to a 13-year NBA career, helping the Houston Rockets win NBA titles in 1994 and 1995.

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

what a loser

3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Someone needs to b****slap him for being a deadbeat Dad. Vernon is nothing to me now. After basketball, he's a loser apparently. Maybe he always was... .

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He probably got slapped with enormous child support because he was making so much money in the NBA, then when that dried up he still had to make payments.

Probably trapped by the mother of his son.

Young, dumb and full of c*m.

Happens far too often.

DD

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

1. your child support order can easily and cheaply be changed to reflect your income level.

2. no comment on MadMax.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Andre Rison has gotten into trouble because of this same thing.

(at least that's his defense anyways)

8. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Thats the truth. How can you not support your own kids. He is a piece of ****.

Not anymore. This guy has done this over and over. I dont feel sorry for him anymore. He should sit in jail a long time.

9. MadMax

Sad that he's missing out on a much better life than the one he's choosing for himself.

Sad that his children have a very poor role model for a father.

10. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Thats pretty sad that he would rather go to jail than pay the child support, but I bet its more about hating the woman than not wanting to take care of his child.

11. MadMax

i bet it probably has more to do with running from responsibility...which max is notorious for.

i'd like to officially petition Clutcfans.net to change my moniker to Zissou. :D

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Easily?

Not if she contests it, right?

Also, I am not sure Max spends much time around the courthouse, and lawyers.

Probably wants to avoid them as much as possible.

DD

13. MadMax

I don't do family law...but had a guy who practiced with me for a while that did. I have never participated at a hearing like this...so admittedly, I'm speaking second-hand.

However, the only way to contest it is to produce some evidence that counters his on his own income. People's conditions change...their income changes...so the rules regarding this stuff are pretty flexible to allow for that. Once you swear what your income is under oath...I'm not sure what countering evidence she would be able to find...assuming you're telling the truth! :)

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Well, you are closer to it than I, so I bow to your wisdom on this issue, counselor.

15. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Income's pretty easy to prove up with pay stubs and tax returns...

It's too bad about Max. I remember 93, 94 he was so adamant that he'd changed, that he wanted to shed the "Mad Max" label and just be Vernon. Clearly, he no longer cares.

16. MadMax

it's not wisdom...just second-hand information. just all i know about it. we'd do far better with a family lawyer or even someone who has personally been through the experience of modifying the divorce decree. i do know that modifications are quite common. in fact, i've only appeared in a family court twice...once to try a fraudulent transfer case involving things that happened YEARS after the divorce....and once to appear for the guy I worked with when he was sick and had a hearing...that hearing i went to for him was a modification hearing, though not modifying child support payments.

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

My only thoughts are that it is money that is back owed, and Max probably does not have it any longer, thus is unable to pay.

He clearly has not been the most responsible human being, and I really feel sorry for his son.

DD

18. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Mad Max did not help us to the title in '95. He got a ring for sitting on his punk a$$ while Clyde, Dream, and the PROFESSIONAL basketball players on the Rockets won a championship.

19. MadMax

yeah, that may be. and that debt will NEVER go away. can't bankrupt yourself out of that stuff.

20. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I'd be really surprised if they gave him a ring for that season. He did quit on the team after all.