1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oh Bud Norris (facepalm)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by joeson332, Sep 30, 2015.

1. joeson332

joeson332 Member

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-unwritten-rules-ethnic-backgrounds/73066892/

Interesting article written by Jorge Ortiz from USA Today that talks about the different ethnicities in baseball, "unwritten rules" (rolls eyes), and what causes bench clearing brawls. Shared this because our good old Houston loving friend Bud Norris shared some interesting thoughts

I mean..wut.

2. Indaface

Indaface Member

Yup it sure has been a white man's game until about the year 2000 or so hey Bud.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What a f***ing moron.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Did he really say "We're opening this game to everyone that can play...."????

Jeez, what an ass-hat

5. awc713

awc713 Member

Bud was a really nice #4 for a couple years so he has that going for him, which is nice

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Good luck with the Skeeters, scrub.

7. joeson332

joeson332 Member

*Japan*

8. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Thanks for the opinion, Bud - I feel dumber for having read it. Still wondering if Bud thinks Singleton signed a horrible contract.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Abraham Lincoln

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Obvious Trump supporter

10. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

The dark times of the Astros. The Bud Norris Era. :grin:

11. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Hey Bud, what antics are you talking about? did someone actually say they hate playing in america or hate americans. whatever is done on the diamond is supposed to be left there. Since we are stopping antics, lets stop drilling batters due to some sort of retaliation.

12. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Lol Rickie Weeks..

13. joeson332

joeson332 Member

^hipster Astros fans would know hahaha^

14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Bud did that interview with a Donald Trump shirt on

15. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Bigot gonna Bigot

16. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm ok with what he said. The league has a certain set of standards that keep everyone in toe. They are there to keep the peace. Once you start to not have standards, you end up with the brawl at the palace, pants down around the waist, steroids, and all things a little out of control. So the unwritten rules are there to protect the league. The NFL has done the same thing, except they decided to flag celebrations. I don't necessarily agree with the rules, but without them, you do allow for a more disastrous scenario to erupt one day.

17. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I remember Carlos Lee yelling at himself in frustration for hitting a pop up and some ****head Cardinals pitcher getting angry with him. As if it was disrepectful for Lee to blame himself rather than just quietly submitting to this guy's superiority...

Brian Mcann is the best of these pricks, though. Always on the lookout for someone emotionally investing in the sport.

18. Buck Turgidson

It's just all about the expected level of decorum. In the players' eyes there's a fine line between "hey, look at what I did" and "haha, look what I did to you". Perceived showing up the other team, especially the pitcher, has always been massively frowned upon. It's not a racial/ethnic thing either: people hated Pete Rose, people hated Jeffrey Leonard for his "one flap down" HR trot, people currently hate Carlos Gomez for his histrionics; there's a thousand examples. Be yourself, show emotion, have fun, but just keep it civilized. Some of the old-school redass type guys need to mellow out a bit too, obviously.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

lol. i just looked this up. i guess i was too young too remember this. cracks me up how much that could piss people off, but i get it. obnoxiously subtle.

i prefer this to encarnacion's "one flap up".

20. Buck Turgidson

Man I haven't thought of that ******* in years. Wasn't just the arm, he would slooooow down between 2nd and 3rd on his HR trot. Those 80's Giants teams were insufferable, Will Clark (one of my heroes as a kid, along with George Brett) was just about the biggest jackass around back then. Jack Clark, Eric Davis and Pete Incaviglia were up there. And Wally Backman too, because **** Wally Backman.