1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offseason Which 3 Relievers Do You Cut??

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DJboutit, Oct 18, 2018.

1. DJboutit

DJboutit Member

We have to many trash relievers within 72hrs after the season is over which 3 relievers would you cut??

Osuna
    McCullers
    Rondon or McHugh

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Are you ****ing stupid?

cardpire, lnchan, whiskeyred and 11 others like this.
  3. HTown2017Champs

Okay, let me answer this. Serious answer: The only one is Harris (decline option), he has no business on the 2019 roster

4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

You do realize McCullers is a starter right? Or did you just start watching yesterday? Dumbass

5. HTM

HTM Member

Im as frustrated with the pitch staffing (besides JV) as anyone but let’s be sensible McCullers is not going anywhere and neither is Osuna... McHugh is also a good pitcher.

I’ve never forgiven Harris for 2015 though so he can gtfo.

everyday eddie likes this.
  6. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

You can’t just cut players in MLB they are guaranteed contracts. But too play along. Smith, Harris & Rondon

7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Will Harris, Tony Sipp those two have been terrible since 2015 postseason, they constantly walk guys, give base hits,
    And Correa gets blamed for that error in 2015, Who started off bad Harris and Sipp.

Tony Sipp in 2017 vs Rafael Devers at Fenway gives a inside the park home run to Devers, the slowest guy on the team.

Joe Smith needs to be traded, his Batting Practice sidearm needs to go.

Jeff Luhnow needs to address First Base and Catcher, 1B Paul Goldschmidt and C J.T. Realmuto

What is the cost is the hardest to give up, I want to keep the prospects but Postseason Media Hate gets me Real Angry. I want Jeff Luhnow to go after Real Power Hitters and Lefty Power Pitchers

#7 rockets1995, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  8. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

I don't understand how Peacock isn't on this playoff roster man. Even if that man had the worst regular season in mlb history he earned himself a shot with all those clutch innings in last seasons run.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/194/104/never-go-full-r****d-tee_design.png

whiskeyred and No Worries like this.
  10. Malaya

Malaya Member

You! We'll cut you.

Either our pitching is getting predictable or pressure is getting the best of them (especially our new guys) or the Red Sox are just playing loose (reminds me of 2017 Astros when we shelled the Dodgers' pitching).

Everyone is giving up runs and it started with Cole. Really uncharacteristic. Still you go with your odds, like in blackjack.

Better question: who in our starting 9 will not be here next year? The offense has regressed badly this year.

Gattis? McCann?

11. HTown2017Champs

As for the pitchers, regardless of how this postseason finishes, I'm confident that Game 3 of the ALDS was Harris's last game in an Astros uniform. Good riddance.
    Gattis and McCann will not be back, about 50/50 for Maldonado. Marwin would be nice but he'll cost too much money. Wouldn't mind trading Reddick and Gurriel for prospects to unload some $$$.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Joe Smith is the only bad value for next year, and even he isn’t a terrible deal at $8m/1yr. I could see Luhnow doing a salary dump this offseason much like he did with Neshek.

Sipp will be allowed to walk in free agency. I could actually see him coming back if the market rejects him, but he’d have to accept a 1-2 year deal with a very low salary.

Osuna, Rondon, and Pressly are all great late inning relievers on very affordable contracts and aren’t going anywhere unless another team overpays.

McCullers obviously will be in the rotation.

Peacock, Harris, and Devenski all had inconsistent performances this season and all will be getting raises, but all 3 still represent good values relative to their salaries. So whether or not they return next season depends on a lot of factors.

McHugh was a stud this season but is in the same boat as Peacock, Harris, and Devenski; he is getting a raise and if another team wants to overpay for him I’m sure Luhnow would listen.

Finally, there’s a big group of young arms that have high upside and low salaries: Josh James, Framber Valdez, Cionel Perez, Dean Deetz, Reymin Guduan, plus all the guys not yet on the 40 man. Houston could probably construct a league average bullpen purely from league minimum internal options.

For now I think the 2019 opening day pitching staff will be:

Verlander
    Cole
    Morton (re-signed)
    McCullers
    James
    Peacock
    McHugh
    Devenski
    Harris
    Rondon
    TBD via trade or free agent (maybe Britton)
    Pressly
    Osuna

So Smith is traded, Sipp and Keuchel leave in free agency, Valdez/Perez/Deetz/Guduan/Rodgers are optioned, and Gustave/Martes are 60-day DL’ed.

#12 Snake Diggit, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    MrBear1 likes this.
  13. HTown2017Champs

^Harris staying, BARF. I've assumed we'll just decline the option.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Really not understanding the hate for Harris other than assuming it’s just an overreaction to a small number of appearances. Harris’ 2018 xfip, fip, k/9, bb/9, GB%, and HR/FB were all better than his career avg. He put up 1.2 fWAR, so at $8M/fWAR, he was worth ~$10M and was only paid $2.8M. His 2019 option is only $5.5M. Over the last 3 seasons, he’s 19th in the entire mlb in fWAR among relievers.

Houston’s bullpen is stacked, so he likely is only the 5th or 6th best reliever on the roster. But he’d be a good 7th inning man for 75% of the league and is a bargain at $5.5M/1yr.

prospecthugger likes this.
  15. HTown2017Champs

Harris has been trash in the playoffs.And during the regular season, too many ups and downs. We can do better.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Sorry, but this is subjective nonsense.

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Any pitching staff without 13 Cy Young contenders is complete trash. It has to be said.

lnchan likes this.
  18. HTown2017Champs

I know not everyone can be that great, but come on? All of a sudden everyone is defending Harris. Whatever, let's agree to disagree. But what I said about the playoffs is mostly true, and during the regular season this year he had a ton of bad games. But I guess I'd be fine with whatever the team decides to do with him for next year (pick up or decline the option).

19. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

We aren't the US government. We don't get to just print money.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Osuna and Pressly are very good. In fact Pressly may be one of the top 10 relievers in baseball. Both need to be back handling 8th and 9th.

Sipp is likely gone as a free agent. Harris will have his option declined or traded to another club. Whether or not Smith is back will depend on what the raw data and scouts say about him. If they think his stuff is still good and he can burn 80 innings, then he may be back. Otherwise he is gone.

McHugh may be back in the rotation. I believe this will be his last year in arbitration. It is possible he is dealt.

The bullpen overall isn’t bad with Pressly and Osuna added. Whitley and Perez and James and Deetz all are ready or close to ready.

Only real issue I have with the Astros is I would like a real #4 hitter.

HTown2017Champs and whiskeyred like this.