1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason Situation - Deals & Signings - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nathan8, Apr 24, 2011.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like Luis, but what you are saying is correct.

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Battier/Thabeet was terrible.
    Brooks/Dragic was very good.

Guys I would actively pursue (in order)

Guys I would pursue, but with a budget in the general MLE range, absolutely no more than $7M for any of them
    Guys I would try and get in the general LLE range

3. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

The draft in imo is where we are gonna see what direction Morey is going with this team. There is always a lot of wheeling and dealing going on that day, and if he trades Martin and or Scola then we are going into the right direction in the rebuilding phase.

4. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

I dont see why everybody wants to trade Scola for youth. Scola would be perfect coming off of the bench. He could easily avg 12 points 5 rebs in 20 mins. He is also one of the most consistent players we have. Not to mention he has Heart. He would also be able to help spread the court for the reserves like Courtney and Dragic. And he did improve his passing after the second half of the season

Scola should only be traded if it involved a bid for a Center with upside. None of the older centers in the league like Chandler, Dalembert, Camby ect.

5. ABforPresident

Why not just tank next year and draft harrison barnes, then sign CP3 and Dwight?
    CP3
    Kmart
    Barnes
    Patt
    Dwight

;)

but forreal though..we gotta get either Chandler or Jordan!

6. lionaire

lionaire Member

I know I'm reaching but trading Scola and signing Gasol+Jordan would be amazing.

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Marc Gasol or Tyson Chandler ideally, maybe Tayshaun Prince.

Scola needs to be traded to a contender and we should just run with Patterson.

I wonder if Morey is looking to maneuver the team for a run at the 2012 FA group like Howard, Deron, and CP3.

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Exactly why was the Battier / Thabeet trade terrible? The Rockets played much better after getting Battier out of the starting line-up, they picked up a 1st round pick and took a flyer on Thabeet. Not sure where you get that as a bad trade for Houston?

9. worzel gummidge

Doesn't Battier's game usually pick up late in the season? The only player's performance that was holding the Rockets back came from Brooks.

The worst thing about the Battier-Thabeet trade was that it guarantees the Grizzlies the ability to re-sign/match any offers for Gasol by creating the necessary salary space.

10. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

You really think a Thabeet removal really affected how they were going to resign Gasol??

If anything, getting rid of Battier really helped us find our identity and became one of the best offenses in the NBA. Battier dragged our team down like no other wing in the league could. Battier couldn't finish, wasn't exactly a good shooter, and had defense that was more than replaceable.

11. worzel gummidge

Dumping Thabeet's contract allows them to re-sign Gasol without going into luxury tax.

12. crash5179

The Rockets improved with out Battier, I don't see that happening with him still in the line-up as IMO he and Chuck together hurt the offense late in games when the defense started really clamping down. Getting rid of Battier not only got us a 1st round pick but tightened up our rotation with Chase and Courtney (neither of which are offensive liabilities like Shane).

The Grizz can re-sign Gasol regardless since they have bird rights and he is an unrestricted free agent which gives them the right to match any offer.

13. crash5179

But it does not stop them from resigning him. As hard as it is to find a center like Gasol do you really think they will not re-sign him.... even if it puts them in the Luxery Tax area? If they were really that worried about it would they have just re-signed Zack?

14. worzel gummidge

They're a franchise that struggles financially and Heisley doesn't pay LT.

The Grizzlies don't have to worry about it because they did dump Thabeet's contract. They can keep Randolph along with a maxed out Gasol and stay under LT because of this.

15. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Yeah, as the previous poster said, I don't think they'll really give that much thought to the lux tax with all the success they're having right now, -even without Rudy Gay.

16. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

I'll preface as saying I don't know the Rockets salary cap details and how much room that they might have.

One of these:DeAndre Jordan,Tyson Chandler, or Marc Gasol.

After that I'll throw in a few other names:JR Smith,Yi Jianlian,Michael Redd or Tayshaun Prince.

My preference would be for, if salary cap permitted would be DeAndre Jordan and JR Smith.

17. thekad

thekad Member

No one wants to come here and we don't have the cap space.

Funny... Not only did we put Memphis in the 8th seed (now up 3-1) with the Battier trade. We also gave them the room to retain Gasol by taking a certified and expensive bust off their payroll (and adding him to ours). Luckily we got a late first in 2013.

Great job, Morey :rolleyes:

18. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

yes, lets get rid of our best defensive player (not to mention the heart& soul of the team) for a team looking to improve on D. makes perfect sense.

19. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

and a 7.1 TPE. Best value for a player who wasn't coming back.

Trade wasn't that bad.

20. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

Players that interest me (only SF/C):
    Others that I'd be happy having too (for a reasonable price):