1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offseason Signings, Moves, etc.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by drewd17, Mar 4, 2012.

1. cardpire

cardpire Member

expecting to find an immediate-impact rookie wr in the late 1st round or after isn't the smartest gamble in the world.

and, either way, ric flair's post will prove to be accurate.

2. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

Well i guess we go back to 8-8 and 9-7…

Are we targeting ANYONE in FA?? or are we just gonna fill holes through the draft just because we had some success with last years draftees?

3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

They don't have the cap room to bring anyone big in. They had to cut a good player (Winston) just to resign Foster/Myers.

They're probably banking on the draft and some cheap veteran signs to fill out the rest of the roster.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

NFL teams generally carry 6 corners, that is not a "logjam." Logjam implies talent and depth at a position, that certainly doesn't describe the texans situation

I will take a guy that can knock down a pass or locate the ball over a guy that lets his man catch it before he even attempts to make any kind of play

He absolutely did not. If anything, he only more fully demonstrated his limitations as a corner. He will NEVER have the recovery speed to be an average corner, its just not going to happen. And he never once showed he ability to locate or make a play on a ball

5. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

We had a team gutted by injuries this past season and still managed a 10-6 finish. If we don't equal or better that mark it's not because we weren't major factors in free agency.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I think the Texans will target some guys in free agency, but they're waiting for the market to die down a bit. There will be a few that slip through the cracks and are undervalued (to the point where they can fit within the cap).

7. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Well, no other team has really done anything (yet) in the afc south. If Manning signs with Nashville I bet that pressures the Texans to make some type of move.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/35303/addition-and-subtraction

March, 18, 2012
    A free-agency roundup for the AFC South so far. We're not including a team's own free agents that it has re-signed:

Houston

Additions: None

Subtractions: OLB Mario Williams (Buffalo); RT Eric Winston (cut, Kansas City); CB Jason Allen (Cincinnati); G Mike Brisiel (Oakland); QB Matt Leinart (cut); Lawrence Vickers (Dallas).

Indianapolis

Additions: DL Cory Redding (Baltimore); RT Winston Justice (trade, Philadelphia); S Tom Zbikowski (Baltimore); C Mike McGlynn (Cincinnati).

Subtractions: WR Pierre Garcon (Washington); WR Anthony Gonzalez (New England); QB Dan Orlovsky (Tampa Bay); QB Peyton Manning (cut); LB Gary Brackett (cut); S Melvin Bullitt (cut), TE Dallas Clark (cut).

Jacksonville

Additions: WR Laurent Robinson (Dallas); QB Chad Henne (Miami).

Subtractions: None

Tennessee

Additions: G Steve Hutchinson (cut, Minnesota).

Subtractions: CB Cortland Finnegan (St. Louis); DL Jason Jones (Seattle).

8. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

So the #2 defense in the NFL doesn't fit the description talented and deep?

He made plays on the ball occasionally, and there were plenty of times where he overplayed the ball and gave up TD's. It's called bend don't break I'll take an occasional 10-15 yd. gain over an occasional TD. You're only looking at one stat, INT's aren't everything.

That's your bias, and I can't change your opinion.
    Meh, he made a few plays on the ball throughout the year, a pick against ATL, and the game winning PD. He played very good coverage in the Baltimore game, Lee Evans and Boldin made great catches though.

Bottom line, he's a below average starter, but Jason Allen wasn't any better, also, take a look at that contract he just signed. No way would I pay him that kind of money.

9. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

Wimbley could be a cheap replacement to Mario. Also if Freeny is released as rumored I think we look at him after all the damage he caused us.

What do you guys think

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Potential WR FA battlefighters:

Anderson, David
    Aromashodu, Devin
    Avery, Donnie
    Caldwell, Andre
    Ginn, Tedd (best returner on the market)
    Urban, Jerheme

11. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Isn't Wimbley the top DE/OLB left on the market? I think thats a splash move when the Texans don't have any cap for splashes.

My guess is they stick with Barwin/Reed/Braman and add another rushbacker in the draft.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Kareem is awful...that's my opinion.

but that his recovery speed is bad relative to other NFL defensive backs is NOT opinion. it's fact.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Ted Ginn Jr. is very intriguing. Also he returns both punts and kick offs. IF he played the NFC championship game, the 49ers probably go to the superbowl.

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The CB2 and Nickel spots benefited GREATLY from Wade's Mad Tiger 5 attack. Plays couldn't develop, passes were rushed, and pick opportunities were there. QBs didn't have 4 seconds to let guys juke and separate from Kareem.

That doesn't mean he's a better CB. Hell, Kareem played fewer downs this year with Allen getting more of a share at the position than he did a year ago.

He still doesn't anticipate a receiver's break
    He still reacts slowly coming out of the break (and still has poor footwork)
    He still doesn't have closing speed once he's behind the receiver
    He still doesn't locate the ball (because that would slow him even more)
    He still is a PI magnet (because he doesn't look for the ball)

The difference is, he's got a strong defense that hides him.

Allen was a slightly below average defender (opinion)
    KJ is a below average defender (opinion)
    I won't call him the worst starting CB in the league, but he's bottom tier. (opinion)

I don't have much hope for Brandon Harris, I have slightly more for Carmichael but not too optimistic about him either. Their ceilings seem more along the lines of taking over for McCain in a best case scenario.

There is the draft, but I highly doubt we can afford to take a DB in the first 3 rounds. OL and WR needs are far too pressing.

1 person likes this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think its also worth noting that we didn't play many good passing QB's in 2011. The one time we did see a tier 1 QB (that was healthy, and whose oline was healthy) we got shredded after a few quarters.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

And then in the playoffs when the Ravens wanted a play they targeted KJ and got big plays routinely.

17. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

That's all true and good post. I can't really keep repeating myself about him, but thanks for your input.:)

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Which reminds me that I forgot to mention - when opponents negated our pass rush by going to a two minute drill or other hurry up offense, you did see KJ, Allen, and McCain get shredded.

Saints and @Colts 4th quarters come to mind.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

True.

I'm going to be honest and say I have concerns about our defense next year.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Ideally we won't ever find ourselves in position to be beat by a 2 minute drill.

That Colts game still makes me freaking ill, no reason that game should have been within reach for them.