1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offseason Signings, Moves, etc.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by drewd17, Mar 4, 2012.

1. drewd17

drewd17 Member

Is it just me or are ya'll starting to get worried/nervous/scared about what is going on with our free agents??????

I know that the Texans MO is to keep majority of things under wraps but still usually things leak out by now. I haven't seen any talks of what is going on with ANY of our free agents being signed. Plus, the last day for the franchise tagging is tomorrow so we need some stories or facts to start coming out otherwise that could mean grimm news in our future. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Texans asked DeMeco to take a pay cut, wanting Darryl Sharpton to take more snaps moving forward. Hope he accepts.

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

That's one big domino - they won't think twice about cutting him if they think it'll keep Mario in town.

I really hope that doesn't come to pass, but it sucks when a guy's asked to give back significant money.

4. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

But I thought after his injury, it takes at least 2 years to come back fully. Wouldn't that be this season?

5. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Injury aside, the Texans go nickel/dime package so much Ryans isn't on the field that many downs anyway.

Then you're contending with:
    1) He's still slow after a major injury
    2) He doesn't play every down.
    3) He doesn't appear to the be the team leader of the def anymore.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Demeco was on the field approximately 50% of the time and the Texans were good on defense. They can't afford to pay him what they pay him to contribute a marginal upgrade at lb over a backup. He has to take a paycut or he has to get cut.

7. Big Dogzz

Big Dogzz Member

Hey just wondering where you found this. Thank you for sharing!

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Cut him if you're going to cut him. Don't BS around.

"Well, we'd still like you to hang around! BUT, we want you to take a pay cut and we're going to give some of your reps to this other guy and this and that."

9. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

A thread on the official Texans board

10. Aggie2012

Aggie2012 Contributing Member

I don't understand why we don't try to trade Demeco rather than cut him. I am sure there is some team that needs him and willing to give a draft pick to make sure he doesn't hit the open market. The only reason we can't really use Demeco is because of the transition to the 3-4, I feel like he will still shine in a 4-3 system.

11. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Doubtful. Ryans has 4 years and nearly $30 on his contract left. That combined with all his other con's makes it very unlikely any team would give up something of value for him.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Plaxico Burress and/or Heins(Hines) Ward.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Texans $4.7 million over the cap according to PFT PFT: (The cap space figures we posted are based on the base cap of $120.6 plus any carryover, adjustments, franchise tenders, RFA tenders.)

2012 salary cap was set at 120.6 million earlier today.

#13 J.R., Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yeah, but that's where the whole non-guaranteed part of the NFL cap make it so misleading. Until I actually see an actual breakdown of player contracts, I won't actually judge where the Texans are in terms of the cap.

15. Relentless

Relentless Member

:eek::eek::eek:

That money should go to big poppa pump Cush

16. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

I like Demeco, but he is terrible in the base zone defense, and he only really makes tackles after the RB has gained 5-6 yards. He is making too much money, and I don't think he will restructure. I see him getting cut.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

McClain:
    They approached Eric and told him they dont want to insult him by doing a pay cut so they released him. Release saves 4.5 million. Eric was going to make 5.5. They restructured Andre and saved 6.5 on Andre. These are pretty unbelievable. The one on Eric shocked everyone. They have Butler, who was injured last year and Derek Newton. Newton isnt ready to start. They dont want to use a first round pick on a tackle. I dont know what they're thinking. They sacrificed Eric for Myers and there will be more cuts tomorrow. Maybe they re-sign Mario but I dont see it happening.

Where will Mario go?

I dont have the slightest idea. I think he'll go to a 4-3 team. Jacksonville will have money. I thought Tennessee but Bud is all over Peyton. Bud is adamant about this like he was on Vince Young. I dont see Chicago. Keep an eye out on Atlanta. They're cutting ties with Abraham because he'll be 34.

Solomon:
    Shocked as anybody?

A little bit surprised yeah. Odd moves that teams make that is out of the blue. Until I get an explanation of why it was done, very weird. Eric didnt have a great season and was probably worst of the group, even though the national media was touting him. He didnt play that well but doesnt mean he wasnt valuable.

The weird thing is, you dont improve by losing players and replacing them with backups. You dont get better by moving backups to the starters role unless they are competent and as good as that guy you're cutting. This is strictly a money move. Reason I dont write about the salary cap is because its all bull. Teams lie about the salary cap. With those lies and me not knowing the truth, I stay away from it. This is not a great football move.

Warner: They value Myers more than Winston and are as naked as a jaybird at center.

Solomon cont'd: You don't cut DeMeco. No replacement for him. You need to get back on your meds for that one Barry. You don't do that but there has to be other places you can go to get money if you need money. I dont think they need the money. WE're trying to justify and find a reason for it. We wont find it until we find out what they do. If all they do is re-sign Myers, thats a stupid reason to cut Winston. Like you said, you can cut other players. You dont want to mess up the strongest part of your team. There has to be something else to this move or I'm going to criticize it because it makes no sense.

Your offensive line is the strongest unit. Winston was a valuable part of that. I said it, he didnt have a great season but its not like his backups were better or you cut him last year. As much as we talk about it, the locker room presence, his teammates love him. Hes a guy that everyone can be proud of. You dont run those guys off. The night they lost to Indy in Indy, walking to the locker room, Winston sitting there in uniform, staring at the wall in his locker. He sat there the entire time the media was there, frozen. Other guys dressed and leaving. Winston was still sitting there. This was a team going to the playoffs. A team winning that was going to win the division. Thats a leader. Thats a guy saying this loss was unacceptable. You keep him on the team and dont run him off unless you have something special going on.

As much as I would be against a DeMeco release, it would be less shocking. Im really trying to quantify, ...I would be less shocked if they had cut Schaub instead of Winston.

If you come out of FA by the end of this week and you come out and dont keep Myers, I'm almost certain they keep Myers. You traded WInston for MYers. You gotta do better than that. There are other things you can do. Jones, Walter, I have a list of guys I'd move to keep Myers before I go to Winston. Im giving them the benefit of the doubt that its something more than Myers.

Warner: They'll cut knucklehead and lefty.

Solomon cont'd: If the whole picture is Myers coming back and Winston was let go and thats it, Im gonna have a problem.

Im a Schaub guy but Schaub is in the last year of his deal coming off another major injury. You cant tell me he is better the next couple of years than Manning. Im sorry, Im not buying it. Schaub, we know he is good but how good will he be next year?

I try not to criticize moves before knowing the whole picture. Im telling you, DeMeco is important and believe Winston is important to this team. Jones, not important to this team.

#17 J.R., Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]Offensive tackle Eric Winston was the first of several cap casualties; the Texans saved $4.5 million by placing him on waivers.

Quarterback Matt Leinart will be waived today, freeing up $1.75 million in cap money.

With receiver Andre Johnson clearing $5.2 million in cap space by restructuring his contract, the Texans saved $11.45 million on Monday.[/rquoter]

#18 J.R., Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  19. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

Link:
    https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchein/status/179632365767897089

This pretty much goes hand in hand with what McNair stated in his interview with 610 am in that they are going to let Williams, Brisiel, and Myers test free agency and then hope to sit down with them and work out a deal if they are still available.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

delete

#20 J.R., Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012