1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Timberwolves bowing out without a fight? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason Priorities

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Jan 15, 2012.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

couldn't agree more. I doubt any top tier FA will be signed here, unless they take a discount. Texans certainly won'y be offering big money to outside FAs.

2. Pete the Cheat

its a sound argument and I can only argue in hypotheticals, because I have no idea how the texans grade out this years WR talent.
    but if you have a player like Alshon Jeffery rated #5 overall on your board and he slips into the high teens. you are opposed to throwing in a late round pick to move up knowing he fills an immediate need?

3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

If i'm picking between Brown and Winston for a big payday i'm all in on Brown. I would rather draft a RT or a swing tackle to replace Winston. I wouldn't mind if the Texans draft a bruising guard too. I love trench draft picks, nothing like blowing up other teams with our O and D lines :cool:

4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Either way, it's a good problem to have... Past years I wanted the Texans to draft a damn coach...lol. If this team stays intact, I wouldnt have a problem with drafting for depth.. But I'm more of a "big picture" kind of dude... I want that stud WR that's would be available... He's quick and versatile...Would add a whole new exciting dimension in the offense...He'd be great for Schaub on hot reads... IMO, Desean and Andre would be a DC's nightmare... and well worth the potential prima donna ****.... But if he's happy , he probably will be ok.... He's not T.O or Chad in that regard...

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think WRs, specifically, are vastly overrated. If he fell to 26, sure. But otherwise - no, I wouldn't give up additonal picks to draft him.

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I don't think Dreessen gets much attention. I'm uncertain of how many teams run double TE sets, but he's probably only better/more productive than a handful of starters out there now. Unless teams are already calling it busts on guys like L.Kendricks or J.Thomas. Maybe Falcons look for a backup to Gonzo? I do like the idea of drafting another TE after seeing alll these post season heroics.

Desean had a pretty good downfield block on one of McCoy's big TD runs. Not that I am defending the guy, but just trying to say that pretty much anyone can block. That shouldn't be a factor in finding a new WR, it's teachable as long as the player's willing. Myers was crap, now you find him making clutch blocks at the 2nd level like he's another fullback.

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

You're right, it's pretty easy to teach a receiver to be able to block a DB. But my main thought in all this is how much the Texans value character, and Desean is at best a diva and at worst a cancer. His personality does not exactly scream "coachable". I think it's pointless to even discuss him coming here.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

me too, not only for the reasons you mentioned but the most important reason...$$$.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Here are your two best guys to take over the Punt Return and Wide Receiver roles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. drewd17

drewd17 Member

Not bias at all.

I kinda like Sanu outta Rutgers he's a big receiver and I think he'll be a hidden gem. Alshon is prob the best athlete WR behind Blackmon but hes got bad work ethic and is supposedly lazy. I know its early but already getting pumped for the draft and free agency!

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

BIG is the new model of Receiver now.
    BIG and Physical and Fast

The more and more I review the Ravens game in my minds
    The offensive woes fall on the Receivers.
    Maybe Yates did not check down as much as he had been
    but . .. man . .they did NOT have a good game
    and that is distressing!!!

It is time for the Texans to hit a home run
    Other than AJ . . he have not hit on a WR in a while
    Kubes have to come and knock this one out the park

Kubes has been good with TEs . . time to use the magic and get us a #2

Rocket River

12. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I agree, he's real overrated. Yeah he opens up the top of any D, but he hasn't shown the willingness to run all the routes, and his effect on defenses would go ignored if the Eagles didn't have receivers like Maclin and Avant working underneath. I'd certainly take Maclin over Jackson.

13. Relentless

Relentless Member

Guys Desean Jackson would be great. All he wants is to get paid

14. drewd17

drewd17 Member

and then whenever he wants more money, more passes, more attention, etc. he's going to act like he did this year....no thanks

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Wouldnt mind taking a shot at Edwards in the 4th or 5th rd as a #3 wr. Fast, has good hands and great on special teams. Tell Jacoby and Walter to kick rocks.

16. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

These same folks would be booking Super Bowl plans for the next 3 years if we got Desean... The same people saying "Do not want" wanted Jacoby Jones to step up 3 years ago....lol

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Question:

Could you judt F tag Foster, Myers, and Mario the cap be damned?

Foster and Myers need to be paid

Cut Jacoby, Jason Allen, Leinart, and look to restructure guys like Ryans, Schaub, Winston to keep Mario.

Keep our own guys and look for vet upgrades at WR2 and CB2 for reasonable prices. Reggie Wayne should be the first call.

Draft BPA and shore up depth at WR, NT, OG

18. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

You can only tag one player. Both Schaub and Winston are on the last years of their contract so I don't know if you can restructure unless you also extend them. Ryans's contract at 8M/year for 4 more years seems ginormous now and unless it can be restructured, he may be the first casualty if they decide to go with Mario. CB2 should definitely be a vet, but I don't see why WR2 has to be a vet.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Brown and Schaub expire 2013. Winston is 2014.

I agree, CB2 needs to be a vet for depth. WR2? Not so much.

20. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

Draft Barron as safety, move quinn back to corner. Jackson goes in ONLY on dime packages. both Walter and Jones are only guaranteed 500k this year, cut both. Sign Bowe or Meachum or VJax. Trade Williams for a 2 and a 4. Draft a RT and a DE .