1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offseason options: Point Guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WestendMassive, May 6, 2014.

?

What move do you want to see at PG for the Rockets?

1. Offload Lin & Jones, sign Lowry

124 vote(s)
    33.2%
  2. Trade Lin & Jones for Rondo

155 vote(s)
    41.4%
  3. Sign Patty Mills with the MLE

22 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Sign Aaron Brooks for peanuts

24 vote(s)
    6.4%
  5. Other (please specify in thread)

49 vote(s)
    13.1%
  1. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

The best PG option for the Rockets is Jeremy Lin. He has played with Harden for 2 years and the two have had many productive games together. Lin has also shown an ability to play with Dwight Howard as he did a very good job getting Howard and Asik the ball in position to attack the rim during the Portland series. He has improved as a 2 way player and was Houston's second best 2 way player in the Portland series. He has the versatility, knowledge of the Houston system, temperament (and now experience) to be a difference maker for the Rockets. The only thing he needs is support from the coaching staff. I doubt that will happen under McHale so the Rockets will likely try to trade Lin.

1 person likes this.
  2. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

How about Lebron James at PG? I know he is not proven at the position but I really think he could excel. He has improved his 3 pt shot over the last several seasons and even guarded TP some in the finals last year. He seems to be all about winning so I think he wouldn't mind be Robin to Hardens Batman.

3. langal

langal Contributing Member

If Lin was making 4 million a year, he would be part of the solution.

4. wise_man

wise_man Member

Howard/d-mo/???
    battier/parsons
    hardeen/daniels/???
    Rondo/cannan/bev/brooks
    dirk/ariza/coving

5. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

one guy that no one is mentioning is steph curry its highly unlikely but i can see him forcing his way out of the golden state soon..steph repeatedly expressed his love for mark jackson but the team still fired him. this could burn some bridges between him and ownership. he received a extension of 4yrs 44million. Thats robbery on the warriors part. I'm sure he feels hustled by organization. he needs a change in scenery and the first step is to fire whatever agency he has representing him. The rockets have enough to offer if he forces his way out.

6. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

he got that extension 2 years ago..sorry

7. Mr Chuck Norris

I literally laughed out loud for 10 minutes....I have to stop coming to clutchfans high

8. GoooooRockets!

we already have a point guard guys, his name is james harden.

unless the point guard an all star, otherwise as soon as he comes on board, he becomes the shooting guard.

9. langal

langal Contributing Member

Lebron is too ball-dominant. Pass.

10. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

This team does not need a PG since Harden handles the ball most of the time. What this team needs is another SG or SF.

11. jonasXV

jonasXV Member

Eric Bledsoe. .

12. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Harden NEEDS a ball dominant point guard. Lin, with all do respect, is a very weak individual. He doesn't take criticism well, understandably so, especially after all of the hate toward the last days of Linsanity. Harden see's that in Lin and doesn't really care if he hurts his feelings or not. I feel like Pat could be ball dominant but doesn't want to piss off Harden. We need someone like Rondo who will basically tell Harden to "shove it." If Harden whines and cries, we see his true colors. If that happens, Morey needs to get rid of him ASAP. But if we get a James Harden who is willing to let McHale run the offense and still be an effective scorer through that, then we find even more chemistry leading us to more post season success. Think about this as well, with a ball dominant point guard, Harden may not have to do a lot of the work load on offense, thus forcing him to put some energy on defense. A Rajon Rondo type point guard should help Harden, but time will tell won't it?

13. Royality

Royality Member

Jordan Crawford anybody ? Lololol

14. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

It's not about Lin, Beverley or Rondo. It's about whether the coach is going to invest authority in the point guard to run the offense and make decisions. Harden pretty much has free rein to do what he wants. In the Portland series, Dwight Howard pushed the coaching staff to get him the ball and that resulted in some reports of locker room issues.

15. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

It's funny how in the beginning of the season everyone was saying the team does not need a ball dominate PG since Harden is a great play maker and it's best that he handles the ball most of the time. In fact, having Lin coming off the bench was to specifically give Harden more time with the ball in his hand. Now that the playoff is over, people are saying Lin is not ball dominate enough so he needs to come off the bench and we need to find a PG that can handle the ball more. Boy, if I can get a nickle for every flip flop decision the people on this forum make, I would have enough money to buy the team from Les.

16. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Dominant. Dominant. Dominant.

You can be dominant. You can dominate something. You cannot be dominate.

Sorry, but that grinds my very last gear.

17. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

I totally agree with this. I believe coaching is part of the problem as well. But Harden taking advantage of the free reign is also an issue. With the freedom he has, he should be showing leadership, not playing selfish ball.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Ha! First laugh I've had since game 6.

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

Did I see Derek "Catfish Face" Fisher on that post?!!! What in the world, how is he still getting playoff minutes, he is like furniture on the court? He gets blown by consistently. Must be big buddies with Scotty.

I don't mean to be unkind to Lin or Beverly, but there are a myriad of better options. Rondo and Lowry are obvious (if available), but I didn't think of Patty Mills. He is a very impressive shooter.

20. Yang_Wenli

Yang_Wenli Member

Eric Bledsoe would be nice and a realistic option. Thomas wouldn't be too bad either as a 6th man off the bench.

Toronto's FO seems to love Lowry, and Lowry likewise is the leader of a young team in the weak Eastern Conference. If situation permits I doubt he would go and play for McHale and second fiddle to Harden/Howard.

It's gonna take a lot more than Lin and Jones to get Rondo.