1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offseason options: Point Guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WestendMassive, May 6, 2014.

?

What move do you want to see at PG for the Rockets?

1. Offload Lin & Jones, sign Lowry

124 vote(s)
    33.2%
  2. Trade Lin & Jones for Rondo

155 vote(s)
    41.4%
  3. Sign Patty Mills with the MLE

22 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Sign Aaron Brooks for peanuts

24 vote(s)
    6.4%
  5. Other (please specify in thread)

49 vote(s)
    13.1%
  1. dragician

dragician Member

There's only one man - Dragic.

2. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

This.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

4. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

For obvious reasons, no good PG would play together with Harden - you can't possibly be a good PG without the ball.

5. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

How you can look at the other starting PGs in the West and say we don't have a weakness there is beyond me.

6. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

Unless you trade the Bear_, better option is to find your "Fishers" or "Chalmers", and use the money to upgrade other positions.

7. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

as much as i like Lowry, and appreciate Rondo, i don't think either is necessarily the right fit. you need someone that can push the ball on the break (like Lin), play D (like Bev) and spot up for 3 (like Daniels), while taking a back seat to Harden in the half court.

I wonder if a Bev/Canaan Harden/Daniels rotation gets the job done?

and then put your money/assets into shoring up the PF position, which is what killed us against portland. we either played 4 on 5 on the defensive end w/ TJ against aldridge, or 4 or 5 on offense w/ Asik. i like both players, but Asik will never develop a reliable offensive game, and TJ...just may not be ready yet, although his physical skills are enticing.

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

The Rockets have 3 potential long term solutions at PG: Beverley, Canaan, and Llull. None are sure things, but they each reasonably fit what we need out of the position in different ways. Beverley with his defense, Canaan with his shooting, and Llull as an all-around player.

I think we are better served staying the course at PG for now. Maybe find someone on the cheap with a non-guarenteed 2nd year.

IMO, PG isn't what's killing us. Poor defense and a lack of shooting from our power forward slot is more damaging to this team.

9. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Lowry wouldn't work in this current Rocket's squad. Harden needs the ball to much. Rockets play alot of isolation ball with Harden and Dwight post ups.

Honestly the best option would probably be Dragic since he's such a good shooter. He has shown the ability to score without needing the ball every possession.

10. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Exactly. Parker, Paul, Curry, Westbrook, Lillard. The rockets will not get to elite status unless they acquire an all star caliber PG.

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Why don't any of you think Avery Bradley would be a good fit?

12. Karolik

Karolik Member

What the hell? I thought Beverley was your favorite player.

13. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

Why not just make Harden the PG and find a new SG?

14. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

He is. However, my 2nd favorite player on the roster is Garcia, which should tell you that I'm drawn to intangibles, rather than objective talent/skill. ;) I love Bev for his heart, grit, hustle, and fight -- all of which make him better off the bench in more limited minutes, IMO. I think him starting is the right decision w/ the current roster, but if you can bring in a Lowry -- somebody with a similar grit who can defend, play-make and knock down shots with more consistency -- I make that deal and run. A Lowry/Bev rotation would be the nastiest, rudest, stingiest backcourt in the league & I'm here for that all day.

15. chandlerbang21

Patty mills is a top shooter and defender at the PG position. Of course many here wouldnt know that lol I would easily take him on this roster

16. chandlerbang21

Coach can change the offensive strategy from ISO to more team oriented .

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I agree. 5-10 years ago, I think you could have said you combat that by being dominant elsewhere.

But a couple of things have changed.

(1) PGs have gotten so so so good, across the board. Not sure why you stopped where you did. Conley is great. Monta Ellis is certainly better than what we have, and if you don't consider him a PG, Calderon is better than what we have as well. Then Dragic, Lawson, Isiah Thomas... even Rubio is better, albeit frustratingly so. I'm not completely sold yet on Trey Burke, but if you believe in his upside, then basically the only team that I wouldn't trade our PG situation for in the West is the Lakers.

(2) The way the NBA is played, and referee'd these days, makes having that PG all that much more important. It's partly how the Spurs stay so competitive, because of Parker's greatness. It's partly why the Pacers finally fell to earth, because of George Hill's non-greatness. It's how the Raptors and Suns had such surprising seasons, etc.

You don't have to have the best PG, but you can't have one of the worst.

I hate the Chandler Parsons disappearing act we saw in the 2nd halves of the playoff games. I hate how he's become almost as allergic to defense as Harden. But aside from the fact that Melo is CLEARLY a better player than Parsons, not sure how upgrading one of our better positions is all that helpful, when we are so bad at point. Point and power forward... our clearly worst two positions.

I'd trade Lin and Jones for Rondo in a heartbeat.

And move Asik to Atlanta for Millsap.

1 person likes this.
  18. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

how about trading up for a real PG at the draft who we can develop since we are keeping Bev? I love rondo but 3pt shooting is very vital to our team and we don't have a Ray Allen...what can u say about Ennis or Napier? not really familiar with their games..

19. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Why would you do this? Look how long it took Lowry to develop his three point shot. Our window to win in may be closed before this unnamed player develops the skills needed to contribute, if ever. Unless you can draft an NBA ready prospect in that regard, the best option is to find an NBA veteran who fills that need.

20. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

This team really needs a John Paxson type PG, e.g., brings the ball up, don't turn over, plays solid defense, and most important, HITs THE OPEN 3. Bev is almost there, if he can improve 3pt a little, to 40%+ level.