1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Yankees @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 1, 2023.

1. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Meh, not that big of a deal that Chas isn't in the lineup to get worked up about. There were chunks of the season where we were missing Altuve/Yordan and Bregman wasn't Bregman, etc. and we were desperate for every good bat to be in the lineup and it was a big hole in the lineup to have Chas on the bench during that time.

Rock Block likes this.
  2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

wRC+ Vs LHP (2nd half)
    Chas 197 (230)
    Singleton 179 (179)
    Tucker 164 (174)
    Alvarez 155 (143)
    Maldy 146 (212)
    Pena 145 (179)
    Altuve 143 (217)
    Dubon 136 (107)
    Meyers 134 (153)
    Abreu 89 (128)
    Bregman 88 (141)
    Diaz 48 (65)

Brantley is professional hitter who would do fine vs LHP and has in the past. Diaz is getting better and needs to keep getting playing time.

So with the way the team, and all the position players, are swinging vs LHP I say choose the 4 that need rest and play the other 9.

Then go with the death lineup with no rest needed, vs the RHPs.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The team has a lot of good options vs.LHP, even Maldonado. Chaz is the best of them all so it's stupid to ever sit him, but no lineup ever looks bad against them.

Honestly this is one of the few games where sitting Diaz and DHing Yordan may have been the best option assuming Verlander is demanding Maldonado. The defensive upgrade from Yordan to Meyers is massive, and Meyers also hits lefties very well. Chaz should be etched in stone vs.LHP.

FWIW I think Meyers and Chaz both should be everyday players against LHP, they can rotate around who has to sit among the other players (Maldy,Diaz,Abreu, occasional day off for Yordan).

#23 sealclubber1016, Sep 1, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
  4. jayfree

jayfree Member

Good to see the month of August over and us tied for 1st.
    [​IMG]

5. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

benched him against a lefty

Dusty hates Chas

The Beard and rockbox like this.
  6. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

i was going to say. tell us johnnie, did verlander request for no more personal CF?

J.R. likes this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The Yankees have RHSP going the next 2 games, then Texas comes in so if any starter needs a day off now or in the next few days - today is the day.

I hate to see Chas out but Meyers is a good sub vs a LHP and I worry that he could be dealing w/ back issue or at least susceptible. It feels like him having 2 days off in a row could be beneficial.

Elienator likes this.
  8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This really isn't about Maldy, completely. Diaz can play C and 1B, the two weakest positions on the Astros this year. The Astros have 5 OFs that murder LHPs better than Maldy and Abreu. Logically, one of those OFs (cough Alvarez cough) should always be DH against a LHP. I don't know why Dusty is compelled to play Alvarez in the field against a LHP almost as often as he does against a RHP especially when there are a ton more RHPs. It is almost like he doesn't like the OFs.

10. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Thats 2 games that he has benched Chas in the 3 games Brantley has been back. Brantley not even playing today and he still benches Chas.

Dusty’s plan all along. He knew he was gonna screw Chas.

The Beard, lnchan and CisBuds4U like this.
  11. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

if Dusty benching Chas, I rather have Dubon in the lineup. At least we know Dubon put up great ABs. If Jake does needs some ABs, he could get that with Space City, not Astros. I hope he prove me wrong tonite.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Meyers and Dubon are about the same hitting with Meyers having a lot of upside and being a much much better defender with a flyball pitcher on the mound. Dubon gets a few more singles and a few more double plays. Meyers gets a few more 2-run homers.

Rock Block likes this.
  13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

What the hell was wrong with Abreu in the 7 slot? Why did Dusty do that once or twice and then put him right back up to 5th??

yes I know Abreu has looked better since his return but he should still be hitting 6th or lower.

not playing Chas against a lefty in a tight playoff race, down the stretch, is unacceptable.

The Beard and CisBuds4U like this.
  14. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Meyers is better than Dubon if you need an outfielder vs LHP.

He is a better hitter (153 vs 107 in 2nd half), is the better defender (96 vs 55% OAA), and runs better (92 vs 71% sprint speed).

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Same applies as the Boston series except month replaces week

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Cool with Martin catching since it's LHP, but if Diaz doesn't catch the next two games (doesn't matter if Javier is pitching, in fact, he should NOT be pitching) then....... well, what can I do.

No Chas against LHP.... what can I do

18. RussE

RussE Member

No Chas. No Brantley either. Idiotic

ryan_98 likes this.
  19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Brantley should never play against a LHP. This team is full of left killers and Brantley over like a 5 year sample size is a 700 ops guy. Brantley is fragile. It’s asinine to ever play him against LHP.

The Beard likes this.
  20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member