1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Series Phillies vs. Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 28, 2022.

1. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

JV has had some dominant performances against the Astros b****es (Yankees), but other than that it’s been sketchy in the playoffs, especially the WS. He totally failed the team last night and it was down hill after his implosion. JV shouldn’t be a priority in the off season.

Lar and htownrox1 like this.
  2. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I’d move JV to the bullpen the rest of the series. He’s lost the privilege of starting World Series games. And I wouldn’t re-sign him either. Our pitching staff is deep. Use that money for another big free agent splash and extend Tucker.

Lar, right1, roxallways and 3 others like this.
  3. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Verlander might be the only real major blemish pitching-wise for the Astros this postseason. Remember, it took some Yordan heroics to win game 1 against the Mariners. I'm concerned about JV, but I think it's too early for us to panic about the team as a whole. I did not expect us to sweep the Phillies anyway. While I do feel this Phillies team is strongly reminiscent of the 2019 Nationals...I think we get back on track tonight and still win this series in 6 games.

Yes, Dusty left JV in too long; he should've pulled him after 4. He had thrown over 30 pitches in the 4th and the bottom of the 4th went by quickly, leaving little recovery time physically and mentally. The Phillies (2nd time thru the order) were teeing off on his breaking ball in the 4th. Even Smoltz was pointing out that JV had lost his fastball mechanics...surely our pitching coaches noticed that too and communicated it to Dusty and JV? This is a textbook case of needing to get him outta there...and JV being nearly 40 years old makes that case even stronger. If this were an early regular season game, maybe it's fine to leave him in to hopefully work it out. But this is the World Series. You need a quick hook on EVERY pitcher, no matter how good he is. Someone should have been throwing in the bullpen as soon as JV gave up the first run.

Verlander should not pitch again until game 6 if this series goes that far. Start Urquidy or Garcia in game 5.

I also think Dusty left Abreu in too long; it was clear he was starting to labor after 23 pitches or so. With him throwing 32 pitches...Abreu may not be available tonight.

The offense is still the biggest issue. King Tuck was great, but I wasn't worried about him anyway. It's Altuve and Mancini that need to figure it out. Oh, and Yordan and Aledmys Diaz too. Speaking of Diaz, he did a poor job of "selling" that HBP, and then he went full stupid (maybe b/c he was pissed) with his undisciplined 3-0 swing. Please give Hensley some at-bats at DH, Dusty! Hell, why not give him a start?

Lar, roxallways, astros123 and 2 others like this.
  4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Pretty much.

5. CinematicFusion

Wheeler is gonna be difficult to score on. Framber needs to bring his A game. Match zeros and get to their pen.
    Altuve and Alverez need to wake up.
    Vasquez needs to be DH

astros123 and punkoholic like this.
  6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Agree -- QUICK HOOK on the World Series is a necessity. Dusty hasn't figured it out yet. Also agree on Hensley getting some ABs at DH. Aledmys and Mancini are just overmatched right now. Aledmys trying to get himself hit by pitch is such a weak mindset. Can't have this as the DH.

Stephen66 and astros123 like this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was pretty down at the end of yesterdays game but it wa a super close game and we had a lot of chances to win. Just need to capitalize on those opportunities. We still got 6 games.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Games 3 and 4 are the must wins in this series.

Feels like a pretty even matchup tonight.

Astros regular bullpen guys were nails again from the 6-9th per usual which was a great sign.

Should see a Hensley DH situation tonight which will be great. Hopefully Altuve and Yordan can wake up soon.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The Diaz at bat was just awful.

DekkerTheGOAT, htownrox1, Lar and 3 others like this.
  10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Just understand that last night was probably our toughest matchup of this series. Rested Nola vs Verlander's track history.

Our Bullpen was still fantastic. The bats did enough.

Framber just needs to keep the mental in line tonight and the Astros have a great shot.

punkoholic and rocketsjudoka like this.
  11. phasors28

phasors28 Member

I felt worse after the Lidge Pujols game and was sure we were losing the next game in St. Louis. We won and went to our first WS. We feel like crap now but we can still win it all.

RunninRaven and punkoholic like this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Still cannot stress enough Altuve and whoever is playing the DH spot needs to heat up. Those spots are now rally killers. Altuve looks like he’s getting close but close ain’t going to cut it here.

I was nervous and depressed for awhile but that was one game and this series is far from over

Rileydog likes this.
  13. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mancini against Dominguez was the most overmatched and pathetic AB I’ve seen in a long time. We may as well let our pitchers hit in that spot.

RussE, Lar, solid and 1 other person like this.
  14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Agreed. Except for I felt great about Oswalt pitching us into the World Series. I feel like tonight’s a loss. But we still win this series.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

This didnt turn out as planned.
    JV hasn't either.

But I still like our chances in this series.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  16. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Still extremely pissed

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Well yeah but that’s just what I expect from Mancini. Diaz looked fine until he tried to walk into a pitch. What in the ever loving **** was that?

18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Done looking at social media posts for the day. Just go win tonight to make us feel better.

take out Mancini for the series.

phasors28 likes this.
  19. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

A single most likely wins the game. You think him leaning into a ball to get hit shows he has no confidence himself because of his slump? Because he gets hit, it loads the bases. I think that would have been worse because now the defense can get an out at any base. Plus he's basically relying on McCormick to now get a single to tie or win the game. I guess you could argue, if the bases were loaded, Robertson walk or a hit batter would have tied the game but I don't think Diaz was thinking like that. Did he swing at a 3-0 count?

Stephen66 likes this.
  20. CinematicFusion

Wheeler(1.78 era) is their best pitcher. Fastball is electric.
    Framber (1.42 era)needs to match while our bats wake up.

Wheeler vs padres :7.00 innings 1 hit 8ks game one. 6 innings 3 hits 2 runs 8ks game game 5.
    He’s gonna deal… Framber needs his a game.

#2100 CinematicFusion, Oct 29, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2022