1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Series: Astros vs. Nationals

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly my point. The Marlins have 2 titles and nobody cares. The Braves had only one but had a sustained run of excellence that is hard for any franchise to match, regardless of World Series.

I think anybody who thinks they "underachieved" are not giving enough credit to the randomness that is playoff baseball. At the end of the day, when constructing a franchise, the goal is to build a sustained winner that can make the playoffs year after year... and then you take your chances. Yes, you do have to win at least one though... or you're like the current version of the Dodgers.

H-Town Info and BigM like this.
  2. alethios

alethios Member

Dodgers might have been in again except for the crazy decision to bring in Kershaw to relieve instead of Maeda. Of course they would have to get past the Cards but it does prove a point about the randomness of playoff baseball and how quickly things can change.

everyday eddie likes this.
  3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Rockets game tonight to hold us over. LETS GO ASTROS!

whiskeyred likes this.
  4. astros123

astros123 Member

Lol if anyone were to watch the Braves documentary from the 90s they would know how regretful the entire management was. To this day if you listen to interviews from Maddux they all claim one of their biggest regrets was only winning one ring. The opportunities that the braves, stros of today, and the Yanks of the late 90s had are very rare. To only end up with one ring for a team this talented would be a massive fail.

Anyone arguring otherwise, why the hell do you think Cane poneyed up and got Zack this season. He knows that the opportunity that the Astros have dont come often and you have to execute when you have the chane. Why did Crane leave the game early yesterday? For an owner to leave a world series game before it finishes should tell you EXACTLY what his mindset is. CHOKE. Im one of the biggest optimistic Astros fan and still have faith that we win but this will be a choke. Plain and simple.

Houstunna likes this.
  5. CinematicFusion

We win game 2 and 3 and it's over for the Nationals. They will start to press hard.

6. youknowme

youknowme Member

It will be difficult to win game 2 now, but we have a chance in game 3 :)

7. Buck Turgidson

Thank you.

BigM likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

You don’t get it dude.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Astros win on Sunday confirmed.

gatsby and mikol13 like this.
  11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

12. CinematicFusion

My bad...Games 3 and 4 gentlemen...we got this!

BigM likes this.
  13. the shark

the shark Member

Certainly understand being frustrated by the results of the first two games but to say this series is over is being short sighted in my opinion.

Tomorrow night we have Greinke going.

Just wanted to throw out back on June 13th Greinke took a no hitter into the 7th inning against the Nationals (@Washington). He wound up going 7.1 IP and only giving up 2 hits, no walks, and no runs (DBacks won 5-0). Pretty much the exact same line up except Parra was at first and Dozier at 2nd. I know a start back in June has no bearing on tomorrow night but Greinke has it in him to pitch a gem (or hell to just keep the game close).

If we can win tomorrow night we're down 1-2 and I like our chances in a bullpen game for GM 4 (or even if they go with Corbin).

We win the bullpen GM we're tied up and in my humble opinion Cole will redeem himself in GM 5. He had one bad inning in GM 1.

We don't have to win all three of these games at Washington (just two of three). We won two of three at Yankee stadium and there's no reason we can't do it again.

We get it back to Minute Maid I like our chances.

They won 107 games this season and it's not crazy to think they can win four of the next five games. Again they don't even have to win four games in a row (if they win tomorrow).

The problem has been hitting with RISP. It's been pathetic as we all know but I'm holding out hope that with their backs against the wall that they're going to rise to the occasion.

Never thought we'd be in this position after two games, but being a Houston sports fan for over fifty years one thing I do know is our teams have a knack to do things the hard way.

Rockets 0-2 hole against Phoenix ('94) and come back to win the series.

Rockets down 2-3 against the Knicks in the finals ('94) and come home to win games 6 & 7.

Rockets tied 2-2 with Utah but down late in the 4th (@ Utah) before storming back to win and move on to face S.A. in the Conference finals ('95).

Rockets get blown out against the Suns in games 1 and 2, come home win GM 3, but lose GM 4 and are down 3-1 and fight back to win THREE straight to win the series ('95).

Rockets huge deficit against Orlando in game one of the Finals and come back to win it and the Series ('95).

Astros down 2-3 against the Yankees in the ALCS in '17. Come home to win games 6 & 7 to move on to the WS.

Astros down 1-0 against the Dodgers and looking like they would be down 2-0 until Marwin's HR ('17).

Astros tied 2-2 with the Dodgers, find themselves down 0-4 in the 4th inning (against Kershaw), tie it up in the bottom of the 4th, Dodgers go back up 7-4 in the 5th, we tie it up 7-7 in the bottom of the 5th, go down 8-7 in the 7th but score 4 in the bottom of the 7th to go up 11-8, Dodgers score 3 in the top of the 9th to tie it 12-12 until Bregman's hit in the bottom of the 10th wins it 13-12 ('17).

Astros down 1-0 against the Yankees and down 2-1 (GM 2) until they tie it up and then Correa wins it with a walk HR in the 11th ('19)

Astros looking like they're going to win GM 6 in the 9th to win the ALCS and Osuna gives up a 2 run shot. Then Altuve's 2 run bomb ('19)

These are just a few that come to mind but to quote Yogi Berra "it ain't over till it's over".

Nook, gatsby, King1 and 8 others like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nook likes this.
  15. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I feel strangely confident about this team after being down 2-0. During the course of the season, this team had several long stretches of not playing well, and when they busted out of it, they busted out big time for an extended period of time. I just feel like this team is about to turn that corner again.

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

Please be right.

Houstunna, whiskeyred and BigM like this.
  17. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

[Positive Vibes]

alethios, raj87, Remix and 4 others like this.
  18. astros123

astros123 Member

Trump knows if he goes then he'll get booed hard. DC is prominently liberal. I dont think he takes that risk to be a meme during election time. Politics is a b****.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Not about Love, I saw QUIT yesterday. Lose fine, but go down while FIGHTING.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I don't see Hakeem, Mad Max, or Clyde on the baseball Diamond. Hell, Robert Horry, Sam Cassell, and Kenny Smith would help.