1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Series Astros vs. Braves

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 25, 2021.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

people don't want to pay ridiculous surge prices on the secondary market. that shouldn't be surprising

2. Major

Major Member

Astros certainly know their players better than we do, but the problem is no one actually knows how they'll feel until they are out there. Just look at Max Scherzer and his dead arm situation from pitching on his bullpen day. If the Dodgers knew that would happen, they wouldn't have done it. Garcia may feel fine and tell the Astros that, but that doesn't necessarily mean his body will agree. The results on short rest are generally pretty bad, but presumably, every team that does it thinks their pitcher can handle it and turns out to be wrong. There's no real benefit to pitching Garcia on short rest today since the goal is to win two games - they need to line up their pitchers to maximize navigating 18 innings as effectively as possible. Garcia today, even if he's good, probably pitches fewer innings than he would if he pitches tomorrow, so it means replacing some innings with weaker bullpen options even if it goes well.

Houstunna, BigMaloe, Nook and 3 others like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Game day. Regardless of how it gets done, just get the W and force a game 7. Go Stros!!

Tfor3, BigMaloe, Nick_713 and 4 others like this.
  4. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Why is this? I'm genuinely curious. Like why are prices crazy high at first and then they go down? I need a basic lesson in ticket prices please lol.

5. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Agreed, very disappointed we haven't tried to run on them much. Also could have challenged them a couple of times on blocked balls that would have allowed us to get an extra base. If we are confident we can mash then I am all for being patient but I also like the idea of making them make plays to try and get us out which they haven't really shown they can do.

whiskeyred and Squirtle like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

People that want to make money off of Astros tickets when they got it for face value aren't selling it for face value in return. When it gets closer to gametime and the demand just isn't there, well you're force to lower your price. Time is your enemy

ramotadab, Astrodome and Squirtle like this.
  7. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Cool, thanks!

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

They didn't exactly have many opportunities to run on him in Game 3. And in Game 4, the problem wasn't a lack of runners in scoring position. It was getting hits to drive them in.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  9. HTM

HTM Member

Hate the decision to start Garcia on short rest. Oh well. Go Stros.

Squirtle likes this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Siri was on 1st with 0 outs in the 8th inning of a then 1 run game. They waited until 2 were out for him to steal. Should have stolen with Castro up.

11. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

I mean, he's gonna have a short leash. He's had two good starts in a row (granted on full rest). I'm alright with it. At the hint of trouble, I'd say he's done for the night.

ramotadab likes this.
  12. Elienator

Elienator Member

Starts on short rest are mixed, but starts after throwing a bullpen day are mixed as well. So that’s really the decision here.

I’d personally lean towards the bullpen day option, but again we’re not seeing their workouts.

The positive is Garcia has had 10 days, five days, five days, and six days of rest ahead of his last 4 starts. He is also young and only thrown 66, 32, 76, and 72 pitches in those starts. So for someone throwing on short rest he is relatively well rested. His only start on 3 days rest was against Seattle on April 29th and he pitched 5 innings giving up 3 hits and 1 run with 6 strikeouts. So I can certainly try convince myself he’ll be fine tonight.

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I won't argue that one. They should've been more aggressive there. But the rest of the game, they had very few baserunners.

Nook likes this.
  14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

It was Urquidy in relief that led to this result. That's the decision that Dusty might end up regretting. Cost us both remaining SP on full rest in games 6 and 7. Odo couldn't have pitched the 4th inning? I think you have to pick one of Odo/Urquidy for the 4th and the other starts game 6 on full rest, with Garcia as your game 7 guy.

At this point I think Odo would be my game 6 choice with a short leash. But it's clear that Dusty doesn't trust him.

Tuckankhamun likes this.
  15. Elienator

Elienator Member

I believe the Astros position is about execution and not tactical decisions, but this is the one call I really don't get. I don't think there was much postgame coverage on it either. I'm curious if Siri was told not to run until 2 outs or given the green light earlier and just decided he didn't see an opportunity he liked.

16. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The general concern with pitching on short rest is that your arm is not full strength and therefore your stuff is negatively impacted. The coaches and Garcia will know whether Garcia's stuff is 100% during warmups. Adjustments to the game plan can then be made accordingly. Garcia's usage over the course of the season and even recently has not been extreme and he only threw 72 pitches on Friday. The adrenaline and crowd support will provide a boost as well. He should be fine... and if not, short leash and go to Odorizzi or Javier.

Nook likes this.
  17. Elienator

Elienator Member

I don't think the decision to put in Urquidy in that spot was spur of the moment. They must have discussed a scenario where Framber needed to be pulled early. Dusty already had been implying Garcia could go on short rest in Game 6 and answered right after the game he was thinking Garcia for Game 6, so I think using Urquidy in relief if needed was the plan going into Game 5.

This would suggest it wasn't Dusty making a decision in isolation, but something discussed among the Strom and the full pitching staff. The evidence would suggest they felt more comfortable with Urquidy and Odo in a game 5 relief situation (I get that) and Garcia pitching on 3 days over Odo on full rest (I'm more surprised on this). Part of that may be the expect both are going to pitch in the next two games and Odo is more flexible as a reliever.

18. jayfree

jayfree Member

You can't regret a decision that helped you win an elimination game.

BigMaloe, joshuaao, ramotadab and 4 others like this.
  19. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Positive vibes for Luis and the Astros. God bless.

Scarface281, BigMaloe, Tfor3 and 10 others like this.
  20. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

I think the energy of the home crowd rockin’ at MMP tonight will provide Garcia with an adrenaline boost and help him power through 3-4 innings. Dude has been solid af at home outside of the Boston debacle in game 2 of the ALCS.

World Series game 6. If anyone would have told me a few months back that we’d be in this position right now, against the Atlanta Braves, at our ballpark, 2 wins away from another World Series title? I’d take those chances every single time.

LFG ASTROS!!!!

Scarface281, Tfor3, joshuaao and 2 others like this.