1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Series Astros vs. Braves

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

So, I guess the haters didn't want to watch the Astros lose to the Braves after all. I thought they would tune in rooting for us to lose. But, they are boycotting apparently.

Stephen66 and Squirtle like this.
  2. HeyBudLetsParty

i love how the ghost of Ted Williams bats 6th in our lineup .

Tomstro likes this.
  3. Handles

Handles Member

I don’t watch if my team isn’t playing. I don’t expect people to watch us win, I’m sure they hate that.

awc713, mikol13, Rodman23 and 3 others like this.
  4. NewAge

NewAge Member

Since Garcia is a Flyball pitcher, wouldn’t it make sense to start with defense at CF and Kyle/Yordan, then bring Brantley for the bullpen innings?

Snake Diggit likes this.
  5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Doubt it has anything to do with boycott. sports ratings are just down except if you are the NFL I guess. Look at NBA finals ratings, it was putrid last year.

Tfor3 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

I'm quite curious what he thinks the location of the games has to do with viewership on tv

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

By boycott, I meant a large number of fans who won't tune in because they regard the Astros as cheaters. I'm sure there are some. But, yes...viewership has been down in general. It's also more about which teams are involved as usual.

#2987 Surfguy, Oct 28, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Maybe, but Dusty isn't going to start Chas over Brantley IMO.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

10. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

No thanks. First, you take Brantley’s hot bat (5 for 9 in the series) out of the lineup for defensive purposes. Then, you weaken the pitching and defense by not having the best game caller on the team behind the plate, and the Braves can now press the issue on the bases with Castro catching. Plus, the only pitcher that Castro regularly caught was Odorizzi, and he’s not starting one of the three games.

If one of Alvarez, Brantley or Tucker weren’t hitting, then starting McCormick (or Siri vs a LHP) in center makes sense. But, the three of them and Yuli are the four hottest bats in the Astros’ lineup. There should be no debate about who plays in the outfield for the Astros in Atlanta.

#2990 DVauthrin, Oct 28, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  11. PhiSlammaJamma

The only thing that can save the ratings for this one will be a Sharknado. While tragic, it would boost the ratings significantly.

Kim and Tomstro like this.
  12. PhiSlammaJamma

The Atlanta defense is just as soft as ours and truth is, Alvarez and Brantley get the job done in an acceptable fashion. Let them bat, and whatever happens in the outfield happens. It likely won't decide a game. But the bats likely will.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Just learned this fun fact about Uncle Mike and Game 1:

awc713 and Kim like this.
  14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

You do not bench a player that is 5 for 9 through the first two games of the World Series for inferior players. Michael Brantley and Yordan Alvarez’s offense >> the defense gained with McCormick in CF. I’m not including Siri because I don’t think he’s that great defensively. His routes are quite an adventure, at times.

TracywtFacy, NewAge and rocketsjudoka like this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It seems odd to argue playing Siri for better D but then sitting Maldanado who is far more valuable to our D than who is playing in centerfield.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If it was only Dusty's call, I would guess Chas would be out there (though could go either way). If the Astros go with the Alvarez, Tucker, Brantley OF, I think it will be with input with the front office that the defensive drop isn't bigger than the offensive gain.

I am not unopposed to the Alvarez, Tucker, Brantley OF, though I think the Astros should have played it more in the regular season if they were going to do it in the World Series. I would have liked to have seen it more than just once prior to the World Series.

17. jayfree

jayfree Member

I agree. Put Alvy in LF and Tucker at CF and call it a series!

DVauthrin likes this.
  18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

This is the part that makes me a little uncomfortable.

19. NewAge

NewAge Member

I think you’re right, actually. You keep your 1-7 lineup intact, with Maldy-P instead of Chaz-Maldy in 8/9, and whatever happens in the outfield you live with it.
    Plus, with them having a pitcher shortage, why give them an easier out?
    I think Alvy/Tuck/Brantley should be the OF, yes.

DVauthrin likes this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

In unrelated news, Alvarez was seen wearing a wig and learning the Cha Cha.