1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Cup 2022 - Qatar

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DaDakota, Apr 1, 2022.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The GOAT doing GOAT things. He smells it.

BigM likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

God dam the world cup is gonna miss Messi when he's done with international competition

4. Aware

Aware Member

Better pray that Morocco beats France or otherwise were looking at a back to back champ, probably

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  5. conquistador#11

It's such a game changer having an international superstar, one where you stop what you're doing to marvel at their excellence. Yordan and Altuve at the plate. Messi with his precision ball control, Daishen Nix with the hesitation dribble.
    (Bill Walton voice)

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Yeah France gonna have no problems containing Messi imo. They are too talented top to bottom. If Argentina win it will be through fluke ways

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  7. VanityHalfBlack

Messi is the goat. I've seen enough

8. VanityHalfBlack

Would you put Yordan,altuve and messi in the same ballpark? Talent wise of course.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10. leroy

leroy Member

That was the Argentina I've been waiting for. I think the pk was questionable as he got the shot off cleanly. The contact didn't affect that, he just didn't get anything on it. Otherwise, it was a dominating performance. Messi solidified and ended any conversation as to who is better. That was a masterful performance. I don't think I've seen him play with that drive and determination in years.

I think France ends the other fairytale tomorrow and we have an all-time classic final.

11. Zboy

Zboy Member

That’s gotta be one of the easiest walk to finals.

Not a single good team so far.

Brazil was the only good team in that bracket and it shat the bed even before the matchup.

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Netherlands were good all tourney and Croatia beat several favourites this time and last WC (final appearance), especially vs Croatia it's tough to perform well and advance, as the last cups have proven.

14. Zboy

Zboy Member

Not really. Overall quality of teams is pretty average this tournament.

It was an easy group.

As for knockouts, Australia was a free game.

The Netherlands team was pretty low quality. Low on talent, just managed well.

Same with Croatia. They don’t have an attack and played a negative game the entire tournament. Plenty of draws and went through on PKs.

Its too bad they went through against Brazil. Brazil vs Argentina would have been more entertaining. The one true challenge so far shat the bed.

Don’t get me wrong, the tournament has been fun. But just because it was fun doesn’t mean the teams are of high quality.

PS. As much as I hate Italy, I wouldn’t have been against them beating up on some of these teams. I hate those ****ers but they always make it fun.

#954 Zboy, Dec 14, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Then why has Croatia made the Final last WC and knocked out Brazil this time, who you say would've been a real test?

You can talk down their "negative game", but that is exactly what often works in these tournaments and their results back it up.

Beating a team like Croatia in a tournament setting is a good feat and a team like Brazil or England isn't automatically tougher competition just because of bigger names.

BigM and JumpMan like this.
  16. leroy

leroy Member

Grant Wahl passed from an aortic aneurysm, per his wife.

Such a terrible way to go but at least it happened while he was doing what he loved.

I legitimately hate that his wife had to say out loud that it was nothing nefarious and it had nothing to do with his vaccination status. I saw so many posts mentioning that. So many stupid people in this world.

Buck Turgidson and daywalker02 like this.
  17. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

Somewhat true. We have found a way to maximise our results under current coach Dalic by being very solid at the back, then building the play with our top midfield players and hoping one of our million crosses from the wing would find its target. We are missing potent attackers after Mandzukic retired and Perisic started showing his age, so there's really no other way for us to win but by being persistently annoying.
    Kramaric has mostly been disappointing for us compared to his amazing output for Hoffenheim, Pasalic and Majer are not wingers but attacking midfielders, Vlasic is not in his best form, Livaja and Petkovic are not cut out for the highest footballing stage. Rebic would have helped, but he got into a verbal fight with Dalic so we won't be seeing him back. Orsic should have played more, but he overlaps with Perisic.

Our next crop of attacking talent won't be ready for the next couple of years (Baturina as an attacking midfielder, Biuk as a winger, Beljo/Simic/Ljubicic as strikers), so expect to see us playing the same way until the next World Cup at least. On the other hand, our defense is looking incredible for the future (two deep at every position, with Gvardiol as a certified superstar) and our midfield is ready to take over from Modric (the combination of Sucic/Majer/Pasalic with Brozovic/Kovacic will be very good).

ramotadab and Zboy like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Croatia vs Morocco in the small Final aka bronze game.

20. VanityHalfBlack

Argentina vs France? Yawn